The Student Room Group

Anime beginner

Soo many people watch anime shows now and it's super hyped.

But for someone like me, who doesn't watch it but is considering giving it a go, it can be a little intimidating and I just don't know where to start.

All the popular shows (like Dragon Ball Z) have been going on for years and have thousands of episodes. That's just too much and overwhelming.

What do you guys recommend for a beginner??

I use Netflix, there are lots of anime stuff on there. And I have amazon prime too.

I've always been into 'kids anime' - I am OBSESSED with Pokemon and I used to love stuff like Bakugan, if that helps.

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Have you watched any of the Pokémon movies? They're all really good. You might also enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon. Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't an anime but it's practically considered an honorary anime, and it's absolutely amazing. Would highly recommend! :rambo:
Original post by Quick-use
Have you watched any of the Pokémon movies? They're all really good. You might also enjoy Yu-Gi-Oh or Digimon. Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't an anime but it's practically considered an honorary anime, and it's absolutely amazing. Would highly recommend! :rambo:

Yesss I have watch loads of the Pokemon movies. Some are good and some are AMAZING. I have tried digimon but didn't really like it.

And I am actually planning to watch Avatar the last airbender, I remember it being on TV growing up but I didn't watch it in the correct order so it was confusing lol

However, I was more asking about what most people would class as the 'true anime' where you have to watch it in subtitles 😂 if that makes sense. I know a lot of people who love anime disregard Pokemon etc. As proper anime.
Reply 3
What about Pokémon catches your interest? Is it the humor? The characters? The fights? There’s an anime out there for everyone so I’m sure you’ll find a series you'll love : )
Original post by Cheneko
What about Pokémon catches your interest? Is it the humor? The characters? The fights? There’s an anime out there for everyone so I’m sure you’ll find a series you'll love : )

I honestly dont know! I think I just love everything about it lol. Sorry that's no help.

But when I watch normal Netflix shows, that aren't cartoons, I don't really stick to a type of genre. I will watch anything really. Just as long as the story is good and interesting. So if you guys have a favourite movie or show I'll check it out. I'm not picky!
Cowboy Bebop for a more serious, dramatic start, or Polar Bear Cafe for a surreal, comedic introduction to the world of animé.

Studio Ghibli films have very nice music although the story is sometimes a little random or non-existent.
Try Claymore, Bleach, Owari no Seraph...they’re quite short animes and interest. You can also watch Attack of the Titans
Nice thank you for the suggestions! Are these all on Netflix??
Original post by Designeddeath
I don’t know about that. I download from different websites such as:

http://chia-anime.me.kelbank.net/view

https://m.chia-anime.me/view/boruto-naruto-next-generations-episode-132/

PS: always watch the subs

Wow thank you for putting in the effort to sending me those links! I'll definitely give them a go
Tokyo Ghoul is a great one to start with.
Original post by Journeyiris
Tokyo Ghoul is a great one to start with.

I've seen that on Netflix. I'll add it to my list. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Megan_Aylett
Wow thank you for putting in the effort to sending me those links! I'll definitely give them a go

You’re welcome
Soo many people watch anime shows now and it's super hyped.

But for someone like me, who doesn't watch it but is considering giving it a go, it can be a little intimidating and I just don't know where to start.

All the popular shows (like Dragon Ball Z) have been going on for years and have thousands of episodes. That's just too much and overwhelming.

What do you guys recommend for a beginner??

I use Netflix, there are lots of anime stuff on there. And I have amazon prime too.

I've always been into 'kids anime' - I am OBSESSED with Pokemon and I used to love stuff like Bakugan, if that helps.

Thank you.

I assume you're fine with dubs if you prefer kids anime - if so, the entirety of Monster Rancher is on Amazon Prime. Yu-Gi-Oh! as well.

On Netflix, Little Witch Academia and Blue Exorcist should be very newbie friendly.

Finally, a wildcard recommendation: Once Upon A Time... Life. Doesn't look much like anime (co-production with France), and falls under the 'edutainment' branch of kids animation, but I've been watching it on Netflix recently and just find it really charming. UK English dub, too!
(edited 3 years ago)
Can’t go wrong with Studio Ghibli. Even people who aren’t into anime have pretty broad knowledge of the films. Try Spirited Away. I’m pretty sure most ghibli films are on Netflix
Some animes on Netflix are Attack on Titan, One Punch Man and definitely fullmetal alchemist brotherhood. I don't know if hunter x hunter is on netflix but its definitely something you should watch.

PS: welcome to the community
Thank you so much guys, I have loads of options now. I'm going to be really busy 😂 x
You should try steins gate.Slow start but truly captures the Esence of real anime
Vinland saga
Parayste: the maxim
My hero academia
Attack on titan
Seven deadly sins
Original post by Toscana
Vinland saga
Parayste: the maxim
My hero academia
Attack on titan
Seven deadly sins

I actually have a question about Seven Deadly Sins.
I've seen a Netflix original series of it and also a movie on Netflix. And I know it's popular. Wasn't it a series before it became a Netflix original, and if I watched that specific series will I get confused because its just jumping in the middle of the series.
I actually have a question about Seven Deadly Sins.
I've seen a Netflix original series of it and also a movie on Netflix. And I know it's popular. Wasn't it a series before it became a Netflix original, and if I watched that specific series will I get confused because its just jumping in the middle of the series.

Yeah. The only difference between 7DS on Netflix and not on Netflix is that Netflix just made it look a tiny bit better and added a filler/non-canon season

Quick Reply

Latest