The Student Room Group

insecurity

hi there, I just wanted ask a few people on how to deal with low self esteem and physical insecurities. I'm in a relationship currently and I always have physical insecurity issues and always worry that my partner will cheat, which they reassure they wont, but somehow I cant shake off that feeling. Any advice TSR?
(edited 3 years ago)
Here's what you should do. First of all make sure you have a great group of friends around you who support you. Also make sure you never compare yourself to other people as you are your own person and everyone is different. Also another great way to help is to get to know yourself. Find everything beautiful about yourself and every time you feel down or you're worried they're going to cheat just remind yourself how beautiful you are. Also make sure you take care of yourself well. Last of all is the most important one, you need to just trust the people around you and let them earn you're trust. I hope this helps you because you are beautiful.
hey, u definitely need to build up ur self-confidence. I'm glad you're asking for help, because it means that you've realized ur jealousy is a problem. there are various ways to deal w low self-esteem, imo.

for starters, u can try practicing this exercise: every day, get ur butt in front of a mirror and look at urself. when we look at our reflection, we tend to fix our eyes on the stuff we like the least, and not on the overall picture. for starters, u might be staring horrified at ur big nose, ignoring the plump lips, or thinking about the strawy hair, but ignoring the pretty earlobes. every single day, say something about you that u like. it doesn't even have to be physical, it can also be personality-wise or with regards to ur abilities: u might suck at cooking, but be an excellent violin player. try to do this every single day. u'll get there.

try a change of look! try out new clothes, consider a change of hairstyle or just make-up. whatever makes u feel confident and sexy, wear it. also, try using sexy underwear under ur everyday clothes- it can increase ur confidence significantly. at least, it works for me :colondollar:

EXERCISE! I can't stress this one enough. whatever sport u like, practice it. it'll make u feel a lot more better with urself and ur body. trust me. also, it can get rid of some insecurities. if u feel bad about ur butt, do butt exercises. if u don't like ur unshapely thighs, target that zone.

try to dedicate more time to stuff u like to do, in other words, build urself up as a person, innerly-wise. when u do stuff u like to do and become good at it or at least make progress in it, u feel better w urself. you'll also have more topics of conversation :smile:

write them down! u know ur jealousy comes from being insecure. well, write down ur insecurities. however long the list is. and then, write besides the insecurity, write in another color what u think a friend/family member would tell u if they knew about it. the thing is, we tend to be overly-critical with ourselves, and a lot kinder to everyone else. that doesn't lead us anywhere. instead, treat urself as if u were ur own best friend, and give urself words of encouragement and cheering every time u look at a mirror, never the opposite.

FAKE IT TILL U MAKE IT! honestly. this phrase is underrated. u might not feel confident, but u CAN act as if u were. get urself out there. hang out w friends, do stuff u like to do, get into ur head that u are in no way inferior to any other lady out there, but equal. to me the game changer was feeling good about myself and seeing how some people tried to make me feel insecure again. I realized that the problem wasn't mine, but theirs. get that into ur head, too. u are beautiful, u are smart, u are whatever the hell u want to be. if u feel beautiful, you'll be beautiful.

as a brief conclusion, can I just say confidence makes up for looks ANY DAY. I can't count the number of times I've repeated this on here, but it's completely true. ur attitude is what changes and ups the game. trust me on this. also, it's good u are communicating w ur boyfriend about ur jealousy, it's a good sign. however, realize jealousy is a very toxic and damaging feeling in a relationship, and that u need to do something about it before the relationship can't handle it any more. a relationship which lacks trust isn't worth fighting for, imo. if it gets really bad, u can always speak to a counsellor :smile: good luck! <3
I have no words... thank you to everyone here, you are all so kind and amazing! I will most definitely take your advice into practice. Thank you again.
Original post by A_yushi
I have no words... thank you to everyone here, you are all so kind and amazing! I will most definitely take your advice into practice. Thank you again.

that's okay I hope you're self esteem gets better and you realise your boyfriend/girlfriend will never leave you
Original post by twinklelittlstar
hey, u definitely need to build up ur self-confidence. I'm glad you're asking for help, because it means that you've realized ur jealousy is a problem. there are various ways to deal w low self-esteem, imo.

for starters, u can try practicing this exercise: every day, get ur butt in front of a mirror and look at urself. when we look at our reflection, we tend to fix our eyes on the stuff we like the least, and not on the overall picture. for starters, u might be staring horrified at ur big nose, ignoring the plump lips, or thinking about the strawy hair, but ignoring the pretty earlobes. every single day, say something about you that u like. it doesn't even have to be physical, it can also be personality-wise or with regards to ur abilities: u might suck at cooking, but be an excellent violin player. try to do this every single day. u'll get there.

try a change of look! try out new clothes, consider a change of hairstyle or just make-up. whatever makes u feel confident and sexy, wear it. also, try using sexy underwear under ur everyday clothes- it can increase ur confidence significantly. at least, it works for me :colondollar:

EXERCISE! I can't stress this one enough. whatever sport u like, practice it. it'll make u feel a lot more better with urself and ur body. trust me. also, it can get rid of some insecurities. if u feel bad about ur butt, do butt exercises. if u don't like ur unshapely thighs, target that zone.

try to dedicate more time to stuff u like to do, in other words, build urself up as a person, innerly-wise. when u do stuff u like to do and become good at it or at least make progress in it, u feel better w urself. you'll also have more topics of conversation :smile:

write them down! u know ur jealousy comes from being insecure. well, write down ur insecurities. however long the list is. and then, write besides the insecurity, write in another color what u think a friend/family member would tell u if they knew about it. the thing is, we tend to be overly-critical with ourselves, and a lot kinder to everyone else. that doesn't lead us anywhere. instead, treat urself as if u were ur own best friend, and give urself words of encouragement and cheering every time u look at a mirror, never the opposite.

FAKE IT TILL U MAKE IT! honestly. this phrase is underrated. u might not feel confident, but u CAN act as if u were. get urself out there. hang out w friends, do stuff u like to do, get into ur head that u are in no way inferior to any other lady out there, but equal. to me the game changer was feeling good about myself and seeing how some people tried to make me feel insecure again. I realized that the problem wasn't mine, but theirs. get that into ur head, too. u are beautiful, u are smart, u are whatever the hell u want to be. if u feel beautiful, you'll be beautiful.

as a brief conclusion, can I just say confidence makes up for looks ANY DAY. I can't count the number of times I've repeated this on here, but it's completely true. ur attitude is what changes and ups the game. trust me on this. also, it's good u are communicating w ur boyfriend about ur jealousy, it's a good sign. however, realize jealousy is a very toxic and damaging feeling in a relationship, and that u need to do something about it before the relationship can't handle it any more. a relationship which lacks trust isn't worth fighting for, imo. if it gets really bad, u can always speak to a counsellor :smile: good luck! <3

OP, read all of this. It's one of the best pieces of advice you'll get anywhere.
Original post by TheStarboy
OP, read all of this. It's one of the best pieces of advice you'll get anywhere.

im very flattered, thank u :smile:
Original post by twinklelittlstar
im very flattered, thank u :smile:

You're welcome and thank you for taking the time to write all of this :smile:
Original post by TheStarboy
You're welcome and thank you for taking the time to write all of this :smile:

no prob :o:
Original post by A_yushi
hi there, I just wanted ask a few people on how to deal with low self esteem and physical insecurities. I'm in a relationship currently and I always have physical insecurity issues and always worry that my partner will cheat, which they reassure they wont, but somehow I cant shake off that feeling. Any advice TSR?

I think everyone has insecurities specially girls because of the way our society is. We live in a society where 90% of almost everything is about our appearances and it's scary. It sounds like it's a competition to be honest. Some people just bring us down all the time and some people think like 'oh it's just a little comment, it's not going to hurt anybody' They are sooooo wrong, they don't realize how that ''little comment'' could impact on someone's life.

It's hard to explain. I feel like society needs to think before they speak like 'If I say this will it hurt her/him?' 'Will it impact on her life?' 'How would I feel if someone said that to me' 'Is it worth it'
I have a lot of insecurities my anxiety is astronomical! :eek: But I have a little secret (2 steps) that I would like to share with y'all that struggle with insecurities or have lack of self-love

Step 1: S-T-O-P stop comparing yourself to others. I have no idea how many times my loved ones told me this
And now I am sharing with you guys It's true, most people are constantly scrolling through social media looking at 'Instagram models' and comparing themselves with them. But hey, the way those people look from the outside can't and will never be compared to the way you are on the inside. You're amazing, believe it. And that's on PERIODT!

Step 2: Focus on yourself. Focus on the things you're good at. Focus on being positive. Not negative, that's a minus in your life and we don't want that. Remember the only way to seek happiness is to fall in love with yourself so love yourself first cause that's who you'll have to depend on for the rest of your life. Tell yourself that you're beautiful; you're gorgeous even though you don't feel that way eventually you will.

Quick Reply

Latest