The Student Room Group

Finance for mature student

Hi, I'm considering trying to get a degree as a mature student but i'm a little confused about my options as to whether i'm eligible.

I previously undertook a degree with the Open Uni while I was serving in the RAF. Unfortunately, due to deployment and then a new posting causing a change in circumstance, I was unable to continue. At this point, I had acquired enough points to 'cash out' at a HNC. This was all entirely self-funded.

Does this mean I am not eligible for any funding?
Reply 1
Original post by Jonffm
Hi, I'm considering trying to get a degree as a mature student but i'm a little confused about my options as to whether i'm eligible.

I previously undertook a degree with the Open Uni while I was serving in the RAF. Unfortunately, due to deployment and then a new posting causing a change in circumstance, I was unable to continue. At this point, I had acquired enough points to 'cash out' at a HNC. This was all entirely self-funded.

Hi, I could be wrong but because you haven't had funding from student finance before I think you will be intitled to funding for the whole course..

If it was financed my student finance they've said: 'You may be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances.

You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree.'

It may be best to call them and explain the circumstances, they will know for definite!
Original post by Jonffm

Original post by Abzzz57
Hi, I could be wrong but because you haven't had funding from student finance before I think you will be intitled to funding for the whole course..

If it was financed my student finance they've said: 'You may be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances.

You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree.'

It may be best to call them and explain the circumstances, they will know for definite!

Hi both, we don't look at previous funding, we look at previous study.

Please advise us of your new course details and whether it will be part time or full time?
Thanks, Isaac
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi both, we don't look at previous funding, we look at previous study.

Please advise us of your new course details and whether it will be part time or full time?
Thanks, Isaac

Hi,

Whether the course would be full or part time would depend greatly on the level of funding I would be able to receive. My preference would be to go to a traditional university and study full-time, but I would be willing to study part-time via Open Uni if that was the more financially sound option. As stated, I have a HNC from my previous study - am I correct in assuming that I would be eligible for funding for a higher course, such as a degree? Would this be entirely funded?
Original post by Jonffm
Hi,

Whether the course would be full or part time would depend greatly on the level of funding I would be able to receive. My preference would be to go to a traditional university and study full-time, but I would be willing to study part-time via Open Uni if that was the more financially sound option. As stated, I have a HNC from my previous study - am I correct in assuming that I would be eligible for funding for a higher course, such as a degree? Would this be entirely funded?

If you decide to study part time then you will be funded as long as your new qualification is higher than the HNC.
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending