The Student Room Group

University of Liverpool 789S 2021 entry

Welcome to the University of Liverpool 789S (Foundation to Heath and Veterinary Studies (Medicine) Year 0) 2021 Entry Discussion.

Liverpool 789S 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6022572

For general information click: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-to-health-studies-year-0/overview/

For entry requirements click: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/foundation-to-health-studies-year-0/entry-requirements/

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know what a typical week will consist of in terms of how long the classes are and is it 5 days a week?
Reply 2
I believe it's full time but I think we're initially doing distance-learning so I don't know what them hours will be like. My understanding is that normally we would have done Monday to Friday 9 till 4.30 except Wednesdays where we would finish half-day so we can take part in activities at University
Reply 3
Original post by who_sane
I believe it's full time but I think we're initially doing distance-learning so I don't know what them hours will be like. My understanding is that normally we would have done Monday to Friday 9 till 4.30 except Wednesdays where we would finish half-day so we can take part in activities at University

Thank you 😊 just looking into it for 2021entry.
Reply 4
Original post by SandiyG

no worries, what you thinking of applying for?
Reply 5
no worries, what you thinking of applying for?

The foundation in medicine. Need to start saving up in fact. What are you going to study? And if you don’t mind me asking how do you plan on paying for the course? I need all the advice I can get.
Reply 6
Original post by SandiyG
The foundation in medicine. Need to start saving up in fact. What are you going to study? And if you don’t mind me asking how do you plan on paying for the course? I need all the advice I can get.

Student Loan, I've never been Uni so they should cover all the tuition costs. I too am wanting to study medicine
Reply 7
Student Loan, I've never been Uni so they should cover all the tuition costs. I too am wanting to study medicine

Awh that’s great! So you’re currently in year 0?
Reply 8
Original post by SandiyG
Awh that’s great! So you’re currently in year 0?

No, starting September I will be
Reply 9
No, starting September I will be

Awh congratulations! I bet you’re excited. How old are you if you don’t mind me asking? And what’s your background?
Original post by SandiyG
Awh congratulations! I bet you’re excited. How old are you if you don’t mind me asking? And what’s your background?

Yes very excited, still can't believe I got a place. I am 23. I've been working since I was 16. I have GCSEs, no A-levels. Started in a community pharmacy at 17. Then hospital pharmacy at 19. Then at 21 ward-based pharmacy assistant (adults) now work in paediatrics as a pharmacy assistant. I have moved and worked for 3 different Trusts.

What about yourself?
Reply 11
Awh wow in fact I’ve just applied for a job as a pharmacy assistant and really hoping I get it. Would be a change from being a HCA.

So I’m from Ireland and sat the equivalent to GCSEs and Alevels. Did a degree in Medical Sciences and a MSc in Physician Associate studies in wales. Been working as a HCA for 6 years and now starting a family. Currently 25 years and I’ve definitely hit that quarter life crisis.
Reply 12
Original post by SandiyG
Does anyone know what a typical week will consist of in terms of how long the classes are and is it 5 days a week?

Great to see that you are interested in applying for this course!
I am starting this course in September, 2020.
Reply 13

Who_Sane, Wednesday is normally a lecture free day for the Year 0s.
Reply 14
Original post by SandiyG

Go for it!
Reply 15
Original post by SandiyG

As long as you've got a previous first degree, it is self funded. You should be eligible for maintenance loan but, subject to your household income, you may or may not get the higher tie as it is means tested.
Reply 16

That's great!
Reply 17
Original post by SandiyG
Awh wow in fact I’ve just applied for a job as a pharmacy assistant and really hoping I get it. Would be a change from being a HCA.

So I’m from Ireland and sat the equivalent to GCSEs and Alevels. Did a degree in Medical Sciences and a MSc in Physician Associate studies in wales. Been working as a HCA for 6 years and now starting a family. Currently 25 years and I’ve definitely hit that quarter life crisis.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you practise as a Physician Associate? You could also apply for Graduate Entry iMedicine in University of Warwick as long as your UCAT score is competitive...
I am by no means trying to discourage you from applying for the S789 course... Was just wondering since you already have a Master's and the Graduate Entry programme is partly funded.
Reply 18
Original post by SHOWEY
If you don't mind me asking, why don't you practise as a Physician Associate? You could also apply for Graduate Entry iMedicine in University of Warwick as long as your UCAT score is competitive...
I am by no means trying to discourage you from applying for the S789 course... Was just wondering since you already have a Master's and the Graduate Entry programme is partly funded.

No no no, it’s fine 🙂 Well I’m currently starting a family, plus also, unfortunately I haven’t passed the national exams due to life happening, so I can’t practice as a PA which is a bummer. You have 3 shots at the external exams and if you don’t pass it’s the end of the road for you!
Reply 19
Original post by SandiyG
No no no, it’s fine 🙂 Well I’m currently starting a family, plus also, unfortunately I haven’t passed the national exams due to life happening, so I can’t practice as a PA which is a bummer. You have 3 shots at the external exams and if you don’t pass it’s the end of the road for you!

Oh, I see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending