The Student Room Group
Original post by swimmer10atkins
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any universities that offer economics without requiring maths? For example it is not required to study a level maths to study at Loughborough.

Thank you:-)

Off the top of my head: Loughborough, Leeds, Newcastle, Birmingham. Likely to be others as well but those are some good ones (I myself should hopefully be going to Loughborough, any questions just ask :smile:)
As above, plus Nottingham, Surrey... there's quite a few
(edited 3 years ago)
Based on memory the following dont require A level
Lancaster, Liverpool, East Anglia, Kent, Sussex, Royal Holloway, Reading, Sussex, Essex, Swansea, Cardiff, Aberystwyth, Keele.

You need to check this as the information may have changed. GCSE grade 6 or B is required in most places but I believe Kent, Aberystwyth and Essex accept grade 4 or C.
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew of any universities that offer economics without requiring maths? For example it is not required to study a level maths to study at Loughborough.

Hi there!

We offer economics here at Keele that doesn’t specifically require you to undertake a mathematics A-level! You can take any A-level you wish and the grade boundaries for admission are between ABC - CCC. However, you do need at least a B/6 in maths at GCSE and a C/4 in English.

You can find more out about the entry criteria for Keele’s economics course here - https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/economics/#entry-requirements

Also, you may find it useful to use our ‘Ask a current Keele student’ page? Here you’ll be able to talk to someone who studies economics so you can ask specific questions and hopefully get a proper feel for what the course is like at Keele! You can find this here - https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/chat/

I hope this has helped a little! If you have any questions then please don’t hesitate to ask! :smile:
Hi,

Hi there!

I'm currently studying at the University of Kent and I know that they don't require A-level maths for their BSc Economics :smile: Here's the information page about the course in case you wanted to take a look - BSc Economics
Also, if you wanted to chat to a current Economics student (I study History and Data Analytics so not much help with course related questions), you can use Kent's Unibuddy programme - Unibuddy

If you have any questions about Kent, please feel free to ask! Best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 6
Hi,

Hi,

There are a fair few options, both Russell Group and Non-Russell Group, with people summing them up quite nicely above! The best thing for you to do once you get an idea of the available unis is to whittle your options down, initially by predicted grade and then by looking at the courses and "visiting" the unis (appreciate this *might* have to be done virtually). I am about to graduate from Nottingham with an economics degree but was in the same boat as you a few years ago without a Maths A-Level so know how you're feeling. A bit of advice I'd give is, while the courses do not require maths, they are all, inevitably, rather mathsy and this is something you must account for when deciding whether you want to pursue a degree in Economics, it can be a bit difficult at times! If you are very Maths averse then my advice would probably be going down a BA route although, to be honest, the distinction between a BA and BSC Economics is becoming a bit more blurred, at least that was my experience at Nottingham anyway, equally most unis these days have quite a lot of choice with regards to modules so you can easily avoid the really mathsy ones, but, as far as I'm aware, you'll have to do micro/macro/metrics for the first two years!

Happy to answer any questions you have if you want some advice :smile:
Hi,

Hi @swimmer10atkins,

We are really happy to hear that you have looked at our programme for Economics. Whilst we don't require A-level maths, we do ask that students have a minimum Grade 6/B in Maths and English Language at GCSE.

Other universities that don't require A-level maths may also have similar requirements, so this is something to look out for as it can be overlooked by students when applying.

If you have any questions about Loughborough feel free to drop us a PM.
Best Wishes,
Emily :smile:
Hi,

Hey,

I'm one of the student ambassadors at Lancaster and i've just graduated in Economics! Although I did take A level maths, i know its not a requirement. Theres an online open day 17th July if you have any further questions about Lancaster or the course and its entry requirements.

Best wishes,
Laura Trigg
4th Year Business Economics (Industry)
Reply 9
Hi im thinking of Loughborough for Economics as it doesn’t require maths.
Is Loughborough good enough for IB?

Also for nottingham the requirements are grade 7gcse maths where as i got a 7. Same with leeds. Should i apply?
Original post by gavin77
Also for nottingham the requirements are grade 7gcse maths where as i got a 7. Same with leeds. Should i apply?

If you got a 7 and they are asking for a 7, what's the problem?
Reply 11
Original post by harrysbar
If you got a 7 and they are asking for a 7, what's the problem?

I mean i got a 6
Original post by gavin77
I mean i got a 6

If you got a 6 and they are asking for a 7 you need to contact their Admissions and ask if it is still worth you applying. Because it may be an automatic rejection so you need to check whether that is the case or not.
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey,

I'm one of the student ambassadors at Lancaster and i've just graduated in Economics! Although I did take A level maths, i know its not a requirement. Theres an online open day 17th July if you have any further questions about Lancaster or the course and its entry requirements.

Best wishes,
Laura Trigg
4th Year Business Economics (Industry)

Your website says A level Maths is a requirement for the BSc?
Where a university has a GCSE Maths requirement not having it will normally be an automatic rejection. Perhaps you need to look elsewhere. Maybe Lancaster, Sheffield or East Anglia might be worth looking at instead.
Hi,

aston uni in birminghamhas an economics course without maths

Latest

Trending

Trending