The Student Room Group

Is it always raining in glasgow? Heavy or mild?

Heyy peeps, all the glaswegians please tellme about the glasgow weather as licing in the city all the cons and pros.
Its pretty much everywhere that its raining all the time, i am not much of a rain guy i hate getting wet. So is it really like raining always ,Is it heavyy rain all time or very mild/unnoticeable.
Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

rain can be a drizzle or very heavy, it just depends
sometimes it can be four seasons all in one day
😂😂
Reply 2
Original post by stereotypeasian
rain can be a drizzle or very heavy, it just depends
sometimes it can be four seasons all in one day
😂😂

What is moreusual? Drizzy or heavy?
Original post by aryanmayur
Heyy peeps, all the glaswegians please tellme about the glasgow weather as licing in the city all the cons and pros.
Its pretty much everywhere that its raining all the time, i am not much of a rain guy i hate getting wet. So is it really like raining always ,Is it heavyy rain all time or very mild/unnoticeable.
Thanks in advance

Hi, Glasgow is a great city to come for your studies. It has several universities (Glasgow, Caledonian and Strathclyde) so it has a thriving student life. Its wet in Scotland compared to England but don't let that put you off. You will not be disappointed.
Thanks in advance

I mean, it's Scotland so it's always going to be colder and wetter when compared to London.
Reply 5
Original post by Fermion.
I mean, it's Scotland so it's always going to be colder and wetter when compared to London.

Colder is fine. I love cold but now wett :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by mike23mike
Hi, Glasgow is a great city to come for your studies. It has several universities (Glasgow, Caledonian and Strathclyde) so it has a thriving student life. Its wet in Scotland compared to England but don't let that put you off. You will not be disappointed.

Hmm, i ve been reading alot about glasgow this whole week, they call it dirty and crime city but also say the friendliest and fun place to live. So confusing hahahahaha
Hmm, i ve been reading alot about glasgow this whole week, they call it dirty and crime city but also say the friendliest and fun place to live. So confusing hahahahaha

Well yes it does rain a lot here. Crime happens everywhere but it’s generally a safe city.

its a Scottish thing lol
eg. Dundee has been called the gang capital
Glasgow has been called knife capital and was the drug capital in 1960s/1970s and has been called one of the friendliest cities
(both of their universities are really good especially the medical and dental schools)

Any big city in any part of the world has some criminal activity but Glasgow is no worse than any other city in the UK. 30 years ago Glasgow was a very different city - lots of crime etc but it is a great city to live in now. Have a look at the actual crime rate in Glasgow (and any other city in the UK) by clicking HERE.
I went there for the Commonwealth games. It did not rain on the days I was there.
Well yes it does rain a lot here. Crime happens everywhere but it’s generally a safe city.

Is it very heavy all the timee??
Original post by mike23mike
Any big city in any part of the world has some criminal activity but Glasgow is no worse than any other city in the UK. 30 years ago Glasgow was a very different city - lots of crime etc but it is a great city to live in now. Have a look at the actual crime rate in Glasgow (and any other city in the UK) by clicking HERE.

Hmm, that helps
Is it very heavy all the timee??

Can be heavy or mild
Can be heavy or mild

Aww.-. Mild is fine. Heavy is all sticky and wet ugh
Aww.-. Mild is fine. Heavy is all sticky and wet ugh

Lol. Is how bad it rains really going to be a deciding factor for you? You’re best to live in London then
As someone who was born and bred in Edinburgh and has also lived overseas and experienced true heavy rain, I can say that there is never heavy rain in Edinburgh or Glasgow. I'm not sure what your image of heavy rain is but it's not actually heavy.

Scottish weather is very fickle and easily changeable - you'll have days which are rainy, windy, sunny, moderate or a mix of everything. It certainly doesn't rain everyday nor does it rain for most of the week. That's just stereotype. You'll definitely be fine here.
If you are moving to Glasgow, be aware that there can indeed be several seasons in one day - the weather is very changeable. There is a saying in Scotland that you pay for one day of sunshine with three days of rain. Today it is 28* and sunny, but it does rain here quite often compared to hotter countries. Make sure to pack suitable clothing and shoes or buy when you get here. A waterproof jacket and comfortable shoes/trainers are a must especially if you plan to do some sightseeing, and wellies can come in handy in winter as we do sometimes get snow (usually at the end of winter in February/March!). Luckily, Scotland is a beautiful country no matter the weather!

Safe travels,

Gill @ MyPad Paisley
Lol. Is how bad it rains really going to be a deciding factor for you? You’re best to live in London then

Hahahha no , I live in Mumbai, and Mumbai has this extreme hot in summer and extreme rains in rainy days. Like literally so much of heavy rain that you cant see a meter front of yourself sometime. So thick.
I just dont want this. Atleast not for all the time. If its just drizzly usually and sometimes heavy then no problem, i can deal with it
Original post by Quick-use
As someone who was born and bred in Edinburgh and has also lived overseas and experienced true heavy rain, I can say that there is never heavy rain in Edinburgh or Glasgow. I'm not sure what your image of heavy rain is but it's not actually heavy.

Scottish weather is very fickle and easily changeable - you'll have days which are rainy, windy, sunny, moderate or a mix of everything. It certainly doesn't rain everyday nor does it rain for most of the week. That's just stereotype. You'll definitely be fine here.

Just what i needed to hear. Thankyou hahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending