The Student Room Group

BPTC grades- anxious about securing pupillage

Hello everyone,

I’m currently studying the BPTC and have received 4 results back ( one Outstanding and three VC grades); I also applied for pupillage and secured 4 first round interviews with one reserve place, spending the BPTC heavily involved in extra curriculars such as mooting for my Inn and engaging in pro bono work. Pre BPTC - 2.1 degree and LLM with Distinction with good work experience.

I might be making a problem out of nothing - owing to my diagnosed OCD - but is it fatal if I finish the BPTC with a VC ? I’m not applying to comm/chancery sets but want to practise in civil law and would have loved to obtained an Outstanding, but that dream is slowly evading me...
Reply 1
@Crazy Jamie might you have any thoughts on this ? Thanks
I haven't checked the latest figures, but generally speaking less than 10% of students finish the Bar course with an Outstanding. Whilst I don't have any figures on this, I suspect that the majority of those who secure pupillage every cycle will have secured a VC. So no, it's not fatal in the slightest to finish the Bar course with a VC. You don't need to worry.
Reply 3
Thanks for the response! Do you know if Chambers, when doing the papersift, give a mark if candidates have an Outstanding on the BPTC?
Original post by AliBrum123
Thanks for the response! Do you know if Chambers, when doing the papersift, give a mark if candidates have an Outstanding on the BPTC?

Entirely depends on the scoring criteria and framework of the individual set. Some will give marks for individual results, some will give marks for academic ability as a whole. Others will do things a different way. Having an Outstanding on your application form is certainly a positive thing, but broadly speaking academic achievement is still only one of several areas that will be assessed, so having an Outstanding doesn't mean you'll definitely get an interview in the same way that having a VC doesn't mean that you won't get an interview. This genuinely isn't something you should be worrying about. A VC is fine. Your efforts would be much better spent concentrating on the areas of your application that you can now change and improve upon rather than the ones that you can't.
Crazy Jamie has it right. Getting a VC is the standard, generally at my set as long as we see that on the paper we're not really interested in anything else. You are much better off getting something on your application that will make it stand out. Make yourself interesting and someone that people will be eager to interview.
Reply 6
Thank you both for your answers! I think my disappointment comes from the fact that I have really grafted this year with various ECs, whilst keeping on track with university work but I still can't seem to get Outstanding, especially in easy subjects like conferencing. Admittedly, I did have one of the harshest markers on the course and it is yet to be heard if she has ever awarded an Outstanding.
Original post by AliBrum123
Thank you both for your answers! I think my disappointment comes from the fact that I have really grafted this year with various ECs, whilst keeping on track with university work but I still can't seem to get Outstanding, especially in easy subjects like conferencing. Admittedly, I did have one of the harshest markers on the course and it is yet to be heard if she has ever awarded an Outstanding.

It wont let me PM you back and I did not want to tag you in the response I posted publicly incase you would prefer to be anonymous but I had to find a way to contact you so I figured responding to this is removed enough! I answered your question anonymously in the thread by editing my original post. Hope that helps some and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending