The Student Room Group

No girls doing chemical engineering at uni??

What’s the ratio of girls and boys who do chemical engineering at uni?
It depends on the university but it's usually majority male. If you go on thestudentguide and lookup the course and uni, it will give the ratio
Reply 2
Original post by megathon360
It depends on the university but it's usually majority male. If you go on thestudentguide and lookup the course and uni, it will give the ratio

Okay thanks
I’m a girl and studied chem eng.

It will depend on the uni but I would say it was about 30:70 girls to boys.

I think it has the most girls typically than other engineering courses
Reply 4
Original post by Lkathryn08

I think it has the most girls typically than other engineering

Because of the low numbers in girls did u find it harder to find friends who are girls?
Original post by helpme111
Because of the low numbers in girls did u find it harder to find friends who are girls?

Not really, between my halls/house, course and societies I never really found it to be a problem.
Original post by Lkathryn08

I think it has the most girls typically than other engineering courses.

On a scale of 1-10, how attractive are you?
Original post by John5853358433

John... bro... my man... cmon now
What’s the ratio of girls and boys who do chemical engineering at uni?

Hi there! I am a female chemical engineering student at the University of Bath :smile:

As someone else says, the exact number varies uni to uni and year to year, but typically it's around 30% female students. In my year I would say it feels higher than that - I have both male and female course friends (and more female course friends - I had no problem meeting other women on my course). The University has great societies and sports to get involved with too so there's plenty of opportunity to meet people. Chemical engineering does tend to have one of the highest percentage of women compared to other engineering degrees. We also have a Women in Engineering society at Bath, which is a great way for women of all engineering disciplines to meet each other.

Do let me know if you have any questions!
Leah
Placement Chemical Engineering
Original post by V℮rsions
John... bro... my man... cmon now

Bro, I need to know how peng the girls are. I need to know what I am getting myself into!

The Women in Engineering societies are usually pretty close knit and help you to make friends across the disciplines of engineering alongside providing networking and outreach opportunities where you can learn from women who are further on in their career whilst inspiring future engineers, on top of the more casual activities they do. If your uni has one then it's a good idea to at least try joining in.

Also ignore John, the vast majority of male engineers, at least younger ones (<50), are not like him and are pretty active against stamping out such kinds of behaviour.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by John5853358433

Dude... read the room.

There’s enough sexism within male-dominated careers without you piling on.

Girls, no matter what course they do are going to evade you if this is your attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest