The Student Room Group

independent student status/rental income?

When I first applied to student finance I got an email confirming that I'd be considered an independent student and the funding I've been given (full maintenance/tuition so far) would apply for the full length of my course. However, I've recently lost a family member and inherited a property that I was planning to let, and I wondered if rental income would affect what I receive from SF? If it would, would it make any difference to sell the house?
I would really appreciate any insight as I can't find any clear information regarding this.
Original post by adder8
When I first applied to student finance I got an email confirming that I'd be considered an independent student and the funding I've been given (full maintenance/tuition so far) would apply for the full length of my course. However, I've recently lost a family member and inherited a property that I was planning to let, and I wondered if rental income would affect what I receive from SF? If it would, would it make any difference to sell the house?
I would really appreciate any insight as I can't find any clear information regarding this.

To the extent the rent comes to you, then that counts as income.
To the extent savings generate an income, then that counts as income.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
To the extent the rent comes to you, then that counts as income.
To the extent savings generate an income, then that counts as income.

I understand that, what i'm asking is whether the funding I receive would change because of having income. The reason I ask is because I got a confirmation email saying i'm granted independent student status for the full length of my course.
Original post by adder8
I understand that, what i'm asking is whether the funding I receive would change because of having income. The reason I ask is because I got a confirmation email saying i'm granted independent student status for the full length of my course.

You misunderstand the difference.
Independent status doesnt stop you being assessed.
How cna I say whether the income you get or the amount of money you will have will affect the amount of money you receive as you dont know this amount. That is for sfe to assess or you can use the loan calculator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending