The Student Room Group

Into the pressure cooker it is...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stoya
you know there is A Level philosophy

I didnt, but my school doesn’t offer it
Update #2 3/6
So we're back after half term, and I spent last weekend catching up on the week of Physics I missed! Luckily I'm a fast learner so I'm near the top of the class already, and I feel quite comfortable in lessons :smile:

We had a bit of an assessment on Modelling in Maths, and I got 97% in it! It wasn't too difficult but that's not too shabby for a first test in the AS/2 course :smile:

Now on to the extra work I've been doing:

English
I bought Dracula in the anticipation I was doing Gothic literature, but yesterday we got told we're studying Frankenstein, so after I finish my other books (all miscallaneous because I like loads of different genres, I will listen to Frankenstein on Spotify)

Spoiler

I also started to compile a word document of effects of rhythm and how it is presented in poems, and I'll be updating it so when I have English exams, I will have loads of mini anecdotes in my arsenal.

Maths
Haven't done too much extra Maths, I did some Trig when it comes to CAST diagrams, i.e. sin positive, all positive, cos positive etc. as I completely forgot what it was, and I've written down to do Geometric progressions/sequences twice in the last 2 days so I guess I'll hop on it tonight.

Physics
I made a quizlet on the charges and stuff of leptons, baryons, quarks, hadrons, and their respective numbers, practiced conservation laws, took notes on the four fundamental forces, and learnt vaguely their applications (must revisit because its not at the forefront of my head just yet), and looked at Feynman diagrams, so I have a loose idea of how they work.

---
I had triple maths today and so I have 4 different focuses tonight:
Partial Fractions, resultant forces, harmonic/geometric progressions. Wish me luck lol.
Tagged:
@Melirose
Well done with your 97% in maths! That's brilliant, not just 'not too shabby'. Glad you've caught up well with physics as well. I always forget about podcasts and books on Spotify; I never read anymore but I want to. Reading Dracula will probably still help you with identifying gothic themes or something and well, it's a classic. Triple maths?! :eek: Gosh that's a lot. Good luck. :smile:
Original post by Melirose
Well done with your 97% in maths! That's brilliant, not just 'not too shabby'. Glad you've caught up well with physics as well. I always forget about podcasts and books on Spotify; I never read anymore but I want to. Reading Dracula will probably still help you with identifying gothic themes or something and well, it's a classic. Triple maths?! :eek: Gosh that's a lot. Good luck. :smile:

Thank you :smile: It was only out of 30 so I wasn’t too impressed with it (as the questions were weighted 3 marks each) and I’ve finally finished Astrophysics for people in a hurry, so I will probably start up a new book later today!
Original post by zacn01
Thank you :smile: It was only out of 30 so I wasn’t too impressed with it (as the questions were weighted 3 marks each) and I’ve finally finished Astrophysics for people in a hurry, so I will probably start up a new book later today!

Gosh, you're so productive :biggrin: I've been reading (or not reading...which sounds more like it!) the same law book for at least a month now and probably longer than that.
Oh wow, already doing assessments and stuff :eek:
Your predicted grades are amazing and it’s great that you and your school is being so proactive about getting you started on alevel stuff :biggrin:
I do AQA maths and further so if you do need any extra help with anything then I’m here!
All the best, (and I’m glad you’re happy with your swap to physics!)
Original post by laurawatt
Oh wow, already doing assessments and stuff :eek:
Your predicted grades are amazing and it’s great that you and your school is being so proactive about getting you started on alevel stuff :biggrin:
I do AQA maths and further so if you do need any extra help with anything then I’m here!
All the best, (and I’m glad you’re happy with your swap to physics!)

Ngl I am finding partial fractions a bit difficult (with non linear denominators and numerators etc) is there any chance you could walk me through some
Original post by zacn01
Ngl I am finding partial fractions a bit difficult (with non linear denominators and numerators etc) is there any chance you could walk me through some

Afraid we only did 1 or 2 lessons for partial fractions as it was needed for another topic, and they were only linear ones! Think it’s a Y13 topic for AQA
Examsolutions and TL maths are both brilliant YouTube channels for A-level maths, they might have something?
Been feeling a bit ill so I haven’t done a lot of after-school work. Online school is quite boring, and our teachers have explicitly said we’re not going to properly start learning the course til September so this all feels useless. I know no doubt I would probably self learn a bit of it if we didn’t have online school because I would have the freedom, but I’m not really having the best time here.
Did a bit of AS Further Maths, practiced Matrix Multiplication and also finding roots of polynomials and cubics, found it decently alright, I’d rate it 7/10!
So I ordered the Year 2 textbook for Maths, and to my surprise, 2 of the topics which we’ve been studying online are supposed to be Year 13 topics?

Cue old but relevant meme:
A96D5402-E923-4D62-8A0C-C7BFC70AD49C.jpg.jpeg

No wonder ivebeen finding it so fricking hard

Tagged

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
FAC48423-12E9-42BB-8CC6-1094045E3D9A.jpg.jpeg

Finding matrix transformations less difficult :smile:
0BFBEEBA-FFC7-478A-A426-DF550B61EDF8.jpg.jpeg
This is how I’d work out this question
73635EFA-EB8F-40DF-9AA7-ABDE2D1A8D06.jpg.jpeg

So the answer is C. Feel free to comment on my method if it needs refining
Crosspost from my student blog http://www.asingularitystruggle.com/

Update # ?

Today was an interesting day, filled with motivation of having recently started this blog, and my having written a detailed plan of perhaps getting an offer from Cambridge..., fills me with the need to work!

I had English, Triple Maths and Physics.

English
We looked at ballads, and went through two or three and noted down some of the recurring themes within them, I wrote down a ****ton and later on today (just now as of typing), I watched a YouTube video detailing the history of ballads, (I didn't know they were from France!) and that contained a few extra themes.
Maths
We have a "Bridging The Gap" test next Monday, so we did a practice paper set by my school. I got 15/16 answers correct, but for every incorrect answer you lose 1 point, so my final score was 44/48, or 92%. Pretty pleased but it detailed some areas in which I needed improvement. I felt curious about an A2 topic so I watched a YouTube video on the Compound Angle Formulae. (I'll probably do more on them this weekend, but don't quote me on that). In the second period we did Dr Frost Maths Live, and I got into it after about 2-3 questions but eventually I got too competitive to actually work out the answer properly and tanked it, coming about 10 out of 13. (I wish to be nearer the top in my class, because my goal is A*A). In the third period we went through the aforementioned test.

For some extra work I did practice on completing the square and simultaneous equations as algebra will form the basis of the test next week. I hopefully will get 90%+, because I'm in a Further Maths set and all of the Single Maths sets are doing the same test, and I'd like to start AS with the highest marks possible. (I did the 3* and 4* questions on DFM and they were impossible so I've got ages of content to learn still)

Physics
Probably my worst lesson of the day apart from the DFM Live. We were going through some uncertainties questions that I had partly completed earlier and I came up with a completely wrong answer (out by factors of 100!), I blame my past self - what a fool. I will do some more work on uncertainties tomorrow as I have more free time (I went training today!) Also first period tomorrow we have Physics so I'll probably avenge myself then. Was quite embarrassing being called upon and the teacher was already skeptical of my response - I'll pay meticulous detail to my calculations henceforth.

Maybe I won't do every day updates but in order for me to remember what actually happened in the lessons I might have to!

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Crosspost from my student blog http://www.asingularitystruggle.com/

Update ? + 1 :smile:

I had a bit of a late night last night because my maths took up quite a while. Lessons were alright, I have an eye test on Friday (not sure how they're going to look into my eyes with torches from one metre away but cool), so knowing my mum I'm going to have to read up on the physics of the eye, just in case I get "set" an impromptu test!
Physics

We went over the uncertainties questions from yesterday, and it turns out I was actually right, (digits wise), note to self, you can't quote the experimental value to more precision than the uncertainty! Also we had to research possible sources of error, and I found quite a few examples, I'll make that document quite beefy as I know in Science exams they love to give a "Suggest" question - the bane of my existence.

We also did a photon momentum worksheet and I need to review some of the equations because I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting everything we've covered. That reminds me, over the summer I'm going to start making permanent notes for my folder (so we've covered Particles, Fundamental Forces, and soon we're going onto Homogeneity and Lasers, so I'll do some pre-reading on that) - we're most likely to redo these when it comes to Y12 proper, but it doesn't hurt to have some knowledge.

Maths
My teachers at the moment are quite enjoying giving us ridiculously hard questions on simple topics, so I'm embarrassed to admit I struggled with rationalising surds, but on a different yet not unrelated note, I'm going to look at geometric progressions because I never learnt them at GCSE and I struggled because of that today.

English
Our texts have been revealed (Some of them at least), so my pre-purchase of Dracula has flopped - instead we're doing Frankenstein. The silver lining is that I've got a lot of interesting books to read over the summer so I'm not really complaining.

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Made a list of some non-SI units for the whole course, going to laminate and use to help!

DD180306-DDA3-4AEC-81FB-5D72B24CFFAF.jpg.jpeg68D4477F-2413-4CC2-8446-C2E82361B8ED.jpg.jpeg
:gah: you've been doing lots of interesting maths and physics! which maths topic have you been enjoying the most?
i always found uncertainties questions notoriously difficult:colondollar: i found learning the rules for when you add/multiply/etc different uncertainties really helped:smile:
i'm also realising from looking at your notes that i never bothered memorising the non-si units, i just used dimensional analysis to figure them out (i'm not sure if you've done that though?) as it's quite fun (for a physics topic:biggrin:)
have a lovely weekend:hugs:
Original post by Toastiekid
:gah: you've been doing lots of interesting maths and physics! which maths topic have you been enjoying the most?
i always found uncertainties questions notoriously difficult:colondollar: i found learning the rules for when you add/multiply/etc different uncertainties really helped:smile:
i'm also realising from looking at your notes that i never bothered memorising the non-si units, i just used dimensional analysis to figure them out (i'm not sure if you've done that though?) as it's quite fun (for a physics topic:biggrin:)
have a lovely weekend:hugs:

Thank you! And you :smile:)

Maths I guess just doing trig equations has caught my fancy but I can’t for the life of me at the moment do multiple transformations.

I will read up on dimensional analysis, I guess it’s not essential to learn the non-si units, but were about to do homogeneity so I thought why not?
Original post by zacn01
Thank you! And you :smile:)

Maths I guess just doing trig equations has caught my fancy but I can’t for the life of me at the moment do multiple transformations.

I will read up on dimensional analysis, I guess it’s not essential to learn the non-si units, but were about to do homogeneity so I thought why not?

ahh i liked trig until radians appeared and i kept accidentally using degrees on my calculator:biggrin:
yeah, dimensional analysis isn't essential (and sort of looks like what you've used) but is good for if you forget the non SI unit (as it's essentially a tool for finding the non SI unit from the SI unit) and is great for problem solving (it also appeared on my mechanics spec but might not be on yours:smile:)
wow you're definitely getting a head start! matrix transformations was the last AS further maths topic that we did! I'm glad that you're enjoying it :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending