The Student Room Group

Sir Keir Starmer begins his purge

(Title is in jest)

By sacking Rebecca Long-Bailey ‘saying she shared an article containing an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.’

Starmer might be the long-awaited change to Labour after all...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He is not. I can't imagine Starmer being any more inspiring to swing voters than Corbyn was.
Reply 2
If he manages to wrestle the party back from the loony left he'll be doing the country a huge service. That is his biggest priority.
Reply 3
Surprised he took this long to get rid of Corbyn with tits.
Identity politics is a bigger problem for Labour.
Original post by ChrisW99
Identity politics is a bigger problem for Labour.

Which he's probably cottoned onto.
Original post by Napp
Surprised he took this long to get rid of Corbyn with tits.

Why did I hear that in Malcom tuckers voice
Reply 7
Original post by Cici M
He is not. I can't imagine Starmer being any more inspiring to swing voters than Corbyn was.

I'm a soft Tory (more towards Blair, but voted Tory in 2019).

Starmer definitely appeals to me and gives me confidence that the Labour Party is getting back on track.
Reply 8
Good on him. Send the trots, tankies, IRA fanboys, commies, fruitloops and antisemites packing. They can join the SWP or whatever other bat-**** breakaway organisation is in fashion that month and hold up all the mental placards they want.

I'm not a Labour supporter, but it would be nice to see them join the mainstream of British politics again.
Like night of the long knives :biggrin:. Honestly, the bloke needs to do something. I feel for him, I really do. He’s been left a poisoned chalice. The Tories have positioned themselves centre left now, he’s got nowhere to go, apart from perhaps closer to centre left as well. Working class vote gone, hard to get back. If he gets this wrong, Labour are finished. What he can be sure of however is that the mildly far left policies that Jezza came up with were far from popular. And all of the left wing virtue signalling we’re seeing at the moment is again, far from popular.
Original post by L i b
Good on him. Send the trots, tankies, IRA fanboys, commies, fruitloops

Maybe Boris can employ them he seems to like the Revolutionary Communist Party types.
Good.

Meanwhile Johnson is responding to corruption with a shrug of the shoulders.
RLB was given the chance to delete the tweet and apologise, she refused. She brought this on herself. No purge, just stupidity and incompetence from the far-left.
Original post by Snufkin
No purge

:troll:
Of course it's a purge. Starmer watched Reeves tweet praise for a Nazi sympathiser and put her in the shadow cabinet. He watched Phillips brag about adding to the anti-black racism that Abbott faces and put her in the shadow cabinet. He saw the leaked report that showed Streeting had facilitated islamophobic abuse against a councillor alongside Gapes and then worked to get that councillor suspended for reporting it, he's still done nothing about the culture of racism within the party machinery enabled by people like McNicol. Labour under Starmer doesn't care about racism at all, just about weaponising it for factional warfare against the left - he's been undermining RLB for months because she was doing actual opposition and listening to the unions and he's taken the chance to get her out. Man's a coward and I'd definitely only rejoin at this point for a coup against him - so long as he's in charge I would actively advocate against Labour.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Like night of the long knives :biggrin:. Honestly, the bloke needs to do something. I feel for him, I really do. He’s been left a poisoned chalice. The Tories have positioned themselves centre left now, he’s got nowhere to go, apart from perhaps closer to centre left as well. Working class vote gone, hard to get back. If he gets this wrong, Labour are finished. What he can be sure of however is that the mildly far left policies that Jezza came up with were far from popular. And all of the left wing virtue signalling we’re seeing at the moment is again, far from popular.

He's got a lot to do, but imo he seems like the kind of person who is capable of doing it. I personally don't want to see him drift too far right but if he can convince those Corbyn lost last year that the Labour party is changing for the better then he's in the driving seat.
Reply 16
Original post by imlikeahermit
The Tories have positioned themselves centre left now,

Utter rubbish!
The Tories have moved further to the right under Johnson/Mogg et al. The difference is that Brexit gave the right-wing working class an excuse to vote for their natural rather than historical affiliation.
Original post by QE2
Utter rubbish!
The Tories have moved further to the right under Johnson/Mogg et al. The difference is that Brexit gave the right-wing working class an excuse to vote for their natural rather than historical affiliation.

Ahaha, you're right. The 'right-wing working class' who absolutely destroyed Labour's chances. Places like Bolsover, are not what I'd term as 'right wing working class.' Face it, the conservatives are so far away now from true conservative traditional beliefs they're pretty much centre left.
Reply 18
Original post by QE2
Utter rubbish!

Go wash your mouth with the 'historical affiliation', Labour and the Democrats in the US used to be dead against the importing of foreign labour by the bucket load because of what it did to their working conditions and earning power. Having thrown all that to the wind for a handful of votes, the working classes only have the right to turn to nowadays. The left has been completely transformed, they're now a bastion of middle-class prats who never dirtied their hands at work. Trump, Farage and Bolsonaro were thrusted into power by the votes of the working classes and for that reason the BBC does somersaults in their cage like never before. They literally hate the idea, how do the plebs dare to have a mind of their own? Deplorables, all of them. Innit?
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't think it's a purge at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending