The Student Room Group

Making a timetable.

I feel like I need to make a good timetable but all the ones I’ve previously made are just terrible. I don’t know how to stick to one. I hate it here
Hey there, can I ask what you're studying for GCSE or A-levels etc... I can help you out if it's GCSE?
Original post by TheHistoryNerd_
Hey there, can I ask what you're studying for GCSE or A-levels etc... I can help you out if it's GCSE?

Yeah I’m doing GCSE!
Reply 3
Hey, have you tried the Get Revising Study Plan? I also couldn't stick to timetables but the way they did it was super helpful they made everything manageable
Original post by Christine_1
Yeah I’m doing GCSE!

Okay so I'm currently in yr 11 and should have been doing GCSE so I can tell you how my revision timetable went? So I started revising from it in like jan/Feb of yr 11 ( I didn't revise for gcses in yr 10, only for end of topic tests and mocks). Obviously I did bits and bobs from Sept-jan/Feb. I made mine on a Google spreadsheet (highly recommend) and stuck to it pretty well. So firstly, you need to add in any clubs you attend (scouting and volunteering for me), this is crucial as I found doing things I wanted to do really helped me out with stress etc. Then, I'd revise for around 3 hrs per night, 1 hour per subject e.g: I might revise geography, history and spanish one night and spend an hour on each. However, if I had mock exams for a week, I'd go off the revision timetable and revise for that mock exam. I'd recommend having one day off because I didn't do that and I do slightly regret that as it got intense, so like have Sunday off for example. I also added in like 15min breaks between revising each subject. It really depends on you, as I prefer to revise longer and can't just take a break after 30mins of revision because I feel like I haven't done anything. My timetable was 2 weeks (I alternated) but I can I my find one of the weeks, the second weeks was the same but I switched the subjects around a bit for variety. Once you get into the swing of revising from a timetable you'll get used to it. I've tried to attach the first week as a photo below, let me know if you can actually see it! Hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about! :smile:

P.S: As you can tell from my timetable, it's safe to say I went a little too hard on the studying, I was a bit of a study enthusiast. I also didn't stick to it if I went on holiday/ went out with friends or shopping etc...
I recommend watching Eve Bennet's youtube video on how to make a revision timetable as that's where I got the idea from! :smile:

Screenshot_20200626-130544_Sheets-compressed.jpg.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
hiya! 😊
having a timetable is not necessarily the answer! i too have tried to work with a timetable and it’s just not worked out for me. so instead i have another way of getting the things i need to do done. firstly i create a to-do list for the day. so, write down what subjects you want to study today all in one place. then select one to go first. i then use the pomodoro technique, i’ll attach an explanation video if you haven’t came across it before. and that’s what works for me. hope this helps! 😊

Spoiler

Reply 6
Okay so I'm currently in yr 11 and should have been doing GCSE so I can tell you how my revision timetable went? So I started revising from it in like jan/Feb of yr 11 ( I didn't revise for gcses in yr 10, only for end of topic tests and mocks). Obviously I did bits and bobs from Sept-jan/Feb. I made mine on a Google spreadsheet (highly recommend) and stuck to it pretty well. So firstly, you need to add in any clubs you attend (scouting and volunteering for me), this is crucial as I found doing things I wanted to do really helped me out with stress etc. Then, I'd revise for around 3 hrs per night, 1 hour per subject e.g: I might revise geography, history and spanish one night and spend an hour on each. However, if I had mock exams for a week, I'd go off the revision timetable and revise for that mock exam. I'd recommend having one day off because I didn't do that and I do slightly regret that as it got intense, so like have Sunday off for example. I also added in like 15min breaks between revising each subject. It really depends on you, as I prefer to revise longer and can't just take a break after 30mins of revision because I feel like I haven't done anything. My timetable was 2 weeks (I alternated) but I can I my find one of the weeks, the second weeks was the same but I switched the subjects around a bit for variety. Once you get into the swing of revising from a timetable you'll get used to it. I've tried to attach the first week as a photo below, let me know if you can actually see it! Hope this helped, feel free to ask any more questions if you don't have a clue what I'm talking about! :smile:

That looks very intense, you doing ok?
Original post by Shiro_A
That looks very intense, you doing ok?

Haha I know it's VERY intense, safe to say I didn't have much of a life outside of school. I didn't stick to it fully and looking back on it, I don't know what I was thinking! I genuinally enjoyed studying though I guess, which is a little weird? I was getting great grades anyway so I definetly went wayyyy too far with my revision! I'm sure I would have changed it if GCSEs had been going ahead, as this was for mocks as well!! I certainly learned from my mocks that this much wasn't needed - my sister revised wayyyyy less than me like barely revised and was getting the same grades as me (which annoyed me quite a bit) so looking back on it, this was probably a bit overkill! :smile:
Reply 8
Haha I know it's VERY intense, safe to say I didn't have much of a life outside of school. I didn't stick to it fully and looking back on it, I don't know what I was thinking! I genuinally enjoyed studying though I guess, which is a little weird? I was getting great grades anyway so I definetly went wayyyy too far with my revision! I'm sure I would have changed it if GCSEs had been going ahead, as this was for mocks as well!! I certainly learned from my mocks that this much wasn't needed - my sister revised wayyyyy less than me like barely revised and was getting the same grades as me (which annoyed me quite a bit) so looking back on it, this was probably a bit overkill! :smile:

Ah I see (I'm the same as your sister barely revised but did decently :giggle:) I mean it's not a bad thing if you enjoyed it so I suppose it's not too bad of you enjoy it but yeah.. respect for sticking to it ~
Original post by Shiro_A
Hey, have you tried the Get Revising Study Plan? I also couldn't stick to timetables but the way they did it was super helpful they made everything manageable

I’m going to check it out thanks!

P.S: As you can tell from my timetable, it's safe to say I went a little too hard on the studying, I was a bit of a study enthusiast. I also didn't stick to it if I went on holiday/ went out with friends or shopping etc...
I recommend watching Eve Bennet's youtube video on how to make a revision timetable as that's where I got the idea from! :smile:

You seem so organised ahaha. I just want to do well and I just don’t know how to revise, I really want to but nothing works for me. I just don’t want to fail in life and do something well. I can stress out a lot and it’s annoying as heck but I just don’t know how to revise and stick to something! Hope you’re doing well!

Quick Reply

Latest