The Student Room Group

List of universities to avoid if you're black/non-white?

There are pages on the internet dedicated racist incidents at university of St Andrews (there's a thread currently in their subforum). There have also been a lot of racist incidents at Newcastle university -- Chinese students spat at , videos of black students getting racially abused by groups of white students in the halls, students shouting "I hate n*****s" at Fresher's parties etc.

Newcastle
Northumbia
Cardiff
St Andrews

From what I know these have really bad reputation when it comes to racism. Also obscure ones like Bedfordshire and Liverpool John Moores are terrible too.

What do you think? Any additions or experience to share?

Scroll to see replies

dont go america...
I’m not exactly a fan of ‘cancelling’ unis. Every uni has it’s bad crop of students. Even my uni Warwick does but I wouldn’t let it stop me from going there
Reply 3
Exeter has a bad history as well, as some Ibz Mo subscribers will have already known. Their Bracton Law society had a scandal in 2018 and the stuff said in their groupchats were vile.
Original post by Anonymous
Bedfordshire

Really? Luton isn't really a racist place, I would imagine the uni isn't either.
Reply 5
Original post by TheStarboy
I’m not exactly a fan of ‘cancelling’ unis. Every uni has it’s bad crop of students. Even my uni Warwick does but I wouldn’t let it stop me from going there

I agree, what matters most is how the university handles it and whether or not members in staff are bad. Personally, being a mixed person, I would rather not go to Exeter because of their continual history of handling racism badly / using performative activism to their advantage
There's no uni or city in the UK that BAME people should avoid. This isn't Mississippi.
Original post by Snufkin
There's no uni or city in the UK that BAME people should avoid. This isn't Mississippi.

Whites are less than 60% of the population there. The South of the USA is the most non-white place.
warwick has been selected multiple times as the most diverse uni outside of london?
There are pages on the internet dedicated racist incidents at university of St Andrews (there's a thread currently in their subforum). There have also been a lot of racist incidents at Newcastle university -- Chinese students spat at , videos of black students getting racially abused by groups of white students in the halls, students shouting "I hate n*****s" at Fresher's parties etc.

Newcastle
Northumbia
Cardiff
St Andrews

From what I know these have really bad reputation when it comes to racism. Also obscure ones like Bedfordshire and Liverpool John Moores are terrible too.

What do you think? Any additions or experience to share?

The same ones white people should avoid....the crap ones
Original post by Daveological
Really? Luton isn't really a racist place, I would imagine the uni isn't either.

I think it's due to a common a misunderstanding. The university upheld a large number of racist complaints, but that means they are probably tackling the issue well.
Original post by lizigw
Exeter has a bad history as well, as some Ibz Mo subscribers will have already known. Their Bracton Law society had a scandal in 2018 and the stuff said in their groupchats were vile.

I read those... disgusting stuff. What happened to the students?
Reply 13
I read those... disgusting stuff. What happened to the students?

I looked it up and they were suspended and expelled, not entirely sure if that wasn't until people demanded a harder punishment after the suspension as there were accounts made to speak out against the uni
Original post by lizigw

These students were expelled - every uni will have a few racists - Exeter got rid.
Original post by lizigw
I agree, what matters most is how the university handles it and whether or not members in staff are bad. Personally, being a mixed person, I would rather not go to Exeter because of their continual history of handling racism badly / using performative activism to their advantage

Pardon - they actually expelled the students - few other unis have done that.
Reply 16
Original post by Muttley79
Pardon - they actually expelled the students - few other unis have done that.

Yes, and i stated that what they do is performative activism, emphasis on performative. I've read many tweets as recent as 2020 about students going through racism and even with staff at Exeter and how they were dissatisfied with the way it was handled. There's a difference between being forced to expel students because messages circulated 2,000 times on all platforms and actually wanting to expel them.
Original post by lizigw
Yes, and i stated that what they do is performative activism, emphasis on performative. I've read many tweets as recent as 2020 about students going through racism and even with staff at Exeter and how they were dissatisfied with the way it was handled. There's a difference between being forced to expel students because messages circulated 2,000 times on all platforms and actually wanting to expel them.

You actually believe what you read on Twitter? I have students there and know differently.
Reply 18
Just go to SOAS, full of naive, UK hating zealots

Or just accept that in a population of 60 million you will always hear anecdotes of racism. There is no established problem with racism in the student body of any renowned UK university.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
You actually believe what you read on Twitter? I have students there and know differently.

If white students are speaking up about problems, as well as POC students, then I do believe it. OFC, its your opinion and different students have different experiences but for me personally I wouldn't want to go there when I feel that the institution itself isn't doing enough to make students feel protected. That's my choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest