The Student Room Group

bad predicted grades

So I just received my first batch of predicted grades that aren't going to university and to be quite honest, they were much lower than what I had expected.
I was hoping for a 36/42 but I ended up achieving a 33/42.
I am aiming for top universities in the U.K. such as King's, UCL, LSE and I am honestly starting to lose hope.
I was really expecting a 7 for business since my teacher have said good stuff about me throughout the year and I was achieving high grades in the class (since I want to major in business), yet I was given a 5 for which I just do not understand at all since, in the first winter exam, I achieved a high 6 and throughout the whole year, I have received nothing lower than a letter grade of an A-.
Do you guys believe I can raise my predictions by at least 3 points before the proper set of predictions are set off to university?

My predictions as of now:
Econ HL-5
Business SL-5
Bio SL-5
Japanese SL- 6
Math HL- 6
English HL-6

What I want:
Econ HL-6
Bio SL- 6
Business SL- at least 6, possibly but not likely 7
Japanese SL- 6/7
Math HL- 6 (OK as it is now)
English HL- 6/7
hey, did you talk to your teachers about why you got such grades and if they think it's possible for you to improve? I think with predicted grades a lot depends on the teachers, do you know how they are given in your school (I mean the ones sent to unis), based on last year's grade boundaries or something else? I don't know how those letter grades work (i.e. how they are calculated into IB numerical grades) as in our school we use only numerical grades or percentages.
also, are these the final year grades? in our school the final year grades are based on the school scale instead of the IB grade boundaries (e.g. we need 90% in Bio HL to have a 7, while in grade boundaries it would be like 80% I think) - maybe that's the case in your school (just assuming that you don't really know why you got those grades, that what it seems to me, that you were calculating them based on something else than your teachers used), so we get quite lower grades for final year grades in IB Year 1 than the actual predicted grades for unis which are then based on IB grade boundaries.

I would suggest talking to your teachers and asking them if they think your predicted grades could be improved and why you got those grades (if it isn't like obvious, as it seems to me, that there is a certain scale used by your school)

if these are the actual predicted grades (which without any change in your class grades, work etc. would be the same for unis), I think you still have time to improve them. I don't know when your school gives predicted grades, but you have whole summer to work (at least a bit) on the material if you e.g. are going to have a test at the beginning etc. so in my opinion, if you work hard, you can improve your grades for the official predicted grades :smile:
Original post by VanillaCream
hey, did you talk to your teachers about why you got such grades and if they think it's possible for you to improve? I think with predicted grades a lot depends on the teachers, do you know how they are given in your school (I mean the ones sent to unis), based on last year's grade boundaries or something else? I don't know how those letter grades work (i.e. how they are calculated into IB numerical grades) as in our school we use only numerical grades or percentages.
also, are these the final year grades? in our school the final year grades are based on the school scale instead of the IB grade boundaries (e.g. we need 90% in Bio HL to have a 7, while in grade boundaries it would be like 80% I think) - maybe that's the case in your school (just assuming that you don't really know why you got those grades, that what it seems to me, that you were calculating them based on something else than your teachers used), so we get quite lower grades for final year grades in IB Year 1 than the actual predicted grades for unis which are then based on IB grade boundaries.

I would suggest talking to your teachers and asking them if they think your predicted grades could be improved and why you got those grades (if it isn't like obvious, as it seems to me, that there is a certain scale used by your school)

if these are the actual predicted grades (which without any change in your class grades, work etc. would be the same for unis), I think you still have time to improve them. I don't know when your school gives predicted grades, but you have whole summer to work (at least a bit) on the material if you e.g. are going to have a test at the beginning etc. so in my opinion, if you work hard, you can improve your grades for the official predicted grades :smile:

How attainable is improving predicted scores by 3 points do you think (considering I work extra, extra hard over the summer)?
Is it unrealistic or possible? I understand this really depends on the school you attend and the teachers you have but I just want a general view.
Reply 3
you can re-sit your gcses, through the appeals process
Original post by ByeB1tch
you can re-sit your gcses, through the appeals process

this is the ib mate
Original post by shrek4onbluray
How attainable is improving predicted scores by 3 points do you think (considering I work extra, extra hard over the summer)?
Is it unrealistic or possible? I understand this really depends on the school you attend and the teachers you have but I just want a general view.

well, I would personally say it is really possible, I've not been in such position (simply because I've also just finished IBY1 haha), but I think it is possible, do you know what topics you're gonna be covering at the beginning or if you're gonna have any tests (e.g. you've just finished a chapter but didn't manage to have a test on that etc.) - if so, you could either start studying the new topics so that when coming to class, you already know it a bit or study for any test that you'll have at the beginning of the year. I would say tho that it's also great to do your IAs in summer or consolidate the knowledge of the topics you've already covered, so I would also focus on that (especially the IAs and EE).

but I think if you're willing to study (at least a bit) at summer, it should be fine and possible to improve your grades, although you should probably talk to the teachers first (if you haven't yet) to know how realistic it is from their point of view - in the end, they're giving out the predicted grades
Original post by VanillaCream
well, I would personally say it is really possible, I've not been in such position (simply because I've also just finished IBY1 haha), but I think it is possible, do you know what topics you're gonna be covering at the beginning or if you're gonna have any tests (e.g. you've just finished a chapter but didn't manage to have a test on that etc.) - if so, you could either start studying the new topics so that when coming to class, you already know it a bit or study for any test that you'll have at the beginning of the year. I would say tho that it's also great to do your IAs in summer or consolidate the knowledge of the topics you've already covered, so I would also focus on that (especially the IAs and EE).

but I think if you're willing to study (at least a bit) at summer, it should be fine and possible to improve your grades, although you should probably talk to the teachers first (if you haven't yet) to know how realistic it is from their point of view - in the end, they're giving out the predicted grades

Yeah I just emailed them (no replies yet tho)
What do you mean by 'really' possible?
As in it's most definetely achieveable?
Original post by shrek4onbluray
Yeah I just emailed them (no replies yet tho)
What do you mean by 'really' possible?
As in it's most definetely achieveable?

yeah, in my opinion, achieveable, but like you can't take that for granted and it definitely depends on how hard you work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending