The Student Room Group

Academic offence of collusion

Hi all, I received an email from my uni that I may have committed the academic offence of collusion. I’m worried as I sent my work to a friend as I didn’t know if I had referenced properly she said everything was fine when she checked it. Will there be consequences for me because I sent it to her?
Oh gosh, you might get a warning. And you should be honest about to them what you copied or what you gave out.
Reply 2
Sounds like they did a bit more than checking, like copying. I guess they will smell a rat if two students submit something the same. What do you have to do?
Reply 3
I didn’t copy anything I only sent my work to my friend to check. I’ve asked her to send her work so I can compare and they are similar and she’s completely denying it she’s also saying she submitted her work before mine. I have to attend a virtual hearing
Reply 4
She never sent me her work
Reply 5
This is bad news. You need to be clear and precise re what happened. Your friend will try to stitch you up
Reply 6
Original post by User7876
She never sent me her work

well tell them that then, and you'll probably get told off a bit, but you'll be fine, and you'll learn to not trust this "friend" again.
Original post by gjd800
This is bad news. You need to be clear and precise re what happened. Your friend will try to stitch you up

Correction

your ''friend''
Reply 8
Original post by iDeano
Correction

your ''friend''

Well, quite.
Reply 9
I’ve received her work from her as she offered it I’ve compared it and had other people compare and it’s very similar. I’ve also realised she hasn’t sent me the real version she submitted to turnitin as there was lot of grammatical errors and it was too short. When I’ve asked for the original she’s refused and said she wanted to keep everything within the hearing
I’ve received her work from her as she offered it I’ve compared it and had other people compare and it’s very similar. I’ve also realised she hasn’t sent me the real version she submitted to turnitin as there was lot of grammatical errors and it was too short. When I’ve asked for the original she’s refused and said she wanted to keep everything within the hearing

Seems a very worrying and manipulative response.

Contact your student union and get their advice. Find out exactly what you are accused of and the procedures involved.

Bear in mind that by sharing your work with a fellow student even for reference checking it is no longer your own work. Your job at uni is to 'read' for your own degree, based on your own work. This you may need to point out and apologise for.

Good Luck

So have you worked out why you are in jeopardy?
Just tell the truth bit keep it brief and precise.
She may or may not try to stitch you up, but that would be difficult.
Presumably by now she has been emailed and accused of plagiarism?

Your failure is you overestimated your friend about what they would do.
Reply 12
Yes she has also received the same email which surely means she has copied as hers is very similar to mine. I have the email showing that I sent her my work and she hasn’t sent me any of her work
Unfortunately your best, and only option in my opinion is to come clean about your side of the story. As people have said, you may receive some punishment, but much less than the other snake if the truth comes out. If you sent her an email with the document, you should screenshot or forward that email to show that you sent it to her before the deadline and she hadn’t sent you anything. This should prove that she copied from you. Best of luck with this and let us know how it goes 🙂
How did you go with this? What happened to you and your friend?

Quick Reply

Latest