The Student Room Group

How to get over sexual assault??

without reporting or talking to anyone about it. People who have been sexually assaulted or raped, how did you get over it??
Original post by Anonymous
without reporting or talking to anyone about it. People who have been sexually assaulted or raped, how did you get over it??

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I would definitely recommend talking to a close friend or family about this? There is nothing for you to be ashamed of.

Can I ask why you don't want to report it? The police or hospitals are really good with these sort of things and will be able to offer you support.

Holding it in and not talking about it won't be healthy and the best thing to do is talk to someone, even if it's not someone who knows you (like a healthcare professional)
Going to the police about something like this is not for everyone, but talking to someone is a way to help.

If you're female, there's a series of Rape Crisis lines available to call. If you're not, there's a number of Survivors organisations.

Hi,

I'm 18 (male) now (in Sixth Form) and I was abused when growing up.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is not to let it take over your life. It's natural to hate the person who may have done this to you, but just don't give that person your attention as they don't deserve it. Having hate and hating someone is itself going to be a major cause of stress.

I know you must be scared about talking to someone or going to the police, and though I would urge you to do it, I understand why you're hesitant and so I'll just answer your question.

Hopefully, you're not at risk of this happening again so you can move on.
Talking to someone you trust could be helpful. You need to make sure you don't bottle it in, you need be able to tell someone how you feel and not keep everything inside.
Original post by bethwalker85
Can I ask why you don't want to report it? The police or hospitals are really good with these sort of things and will be able to offer you support.

Holding it in and not talking about it won't be healthy and the best thing to do is talk to someone, even if it's not someone who knows you (like a healthcare professional)

No they're ****. The hospital is particularly awful.

OP - call a sexual assault helpline and make sure you get checked out at a sexual health clinic. The helpline will probably leave you on a waiting list for sixth months, but fingers crossed there will be some kind of help at the end ot it.

I didn't tell anyone the second time it happened to me because of responses the first time. These ranged from "stop crying" (five hours after in a and e) to "why did you kiss someone if you didn't want more?".

The helpline were more reassuring I recommend you contqct them. It's not possible to get over it by yourself. I tried. Feel free to PM me if you would like any support :3
Reply 7
It's not possible to fully heal from sexual assault without talking about it. For one, by keeping it secret you're reinforcing the idea that you are shameful and not worthy of support.

Sexual assault affects people in such an insidious way and really isolates them that recovery needs to be about connection with others. To build trust in yourself, to build trust in others, and so you can feel the power of speaking out and being believed.

You don't have to report your assault but I would urge you to seek support. You can start with an online community of therapy feel too scary. I started online and then I found the book, resurrection after rape. It helped me to seek counselling and I credit that book with saving my life.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
No they're ****. The hospital is particularly awful.

OP - call a sexual assault helpline and make sure you get checked out at a sexual health clinic. The helpline will probably leave you on a waiting list for sixth months, but fingers crossed there will be some kind of help at the end ot it.

I didn't tell anyone the second time it happened to me because of responses the first time. These ranged from "stop crying" (five hours after in a and e) to "why did you kiss someone if you didn't want more?".

The helpline were more reassuring I recommend you contqct them. It's not possible to get over it by yourself. I tried. Feel free to PM me if you would like any support :3

I'm really sorry to hear this was your experience I can't imagine it. But I don't think advising people away from services is a good idea.
Original post by ThatGuy89
I'm really sorry to hear this was your experience I can't imagine it. But I don't think advising people away from services is a good idea.

this is a 4year old thread
this is a 4year old thread

I wonder why it appeared 🤔 oh well its still a good point lol.
Original post by ThatGuy89
I wonder why it appeared 🤔 oh well its still a good point lol.

yeah lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending