The Student Room Group

Cant stop eating

I keep eating and gaining weight
Tips on how to control

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Fast, don’t eat until 5 like I do and you’ll be a lean mean killing machine like me. Go running/ have cold showers. Basically cut the ****

And only eat meat and vegetables

That’s what you need to do
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Tips on how to control

Work out what calorie deficit you need to lose weight. Exercise will help too, even if you just go out for a brisk daily walk or bike ride.

Eat healthy balanced meals and don't cut out whole food groups (like carbs) to make sure you get proper nutrition. An occasional treat is fine, but don't have unhealthy food in the house; cut down on processed food, takeaways, sugary snacks and drinks.
Download MyFitnessPal and get into a routine of eating 3 portioned meals a day. And track what you eat. If you find yourself wanting to eat between those meals go for a walk/workout to a video at home instead, you’ll realise you’re not actually hungry. Or it could be thirst so remember to drink water.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
Work out what calorie deficit you need to lose weight. Exercise will help too, even if you just go out for a brisk daily walk or bike ride.

Eat healthy balanced meals and don't cut out whole food groups (like carbs) to make sure you get proper nutrition. An occasional treat is fine, but don't have unhealthy food in the house; cut down on processed food, takeaways, sugary snacks and drinks.

Carbs are generally nutritionally dead compared to actual vegetables; the consumption of carbs causes diabetes. Also not one of us should be eating grains. I don’t care what you think of my opinion it is correct.
Reply 5
Original post by Guy481
Carbs are generally nutritionally dead compared to actual vegetables; the consumption of carbs causes diabetes. Also not one of us should be eating grains. I don’t care what you think of my opinion it is correct.

So how come not everyone who eats carbs gets diabetes? You just need to eat the right ones. And what do veg contain?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Tips on how to control

And have a look at this:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/start-the-nhs-weight-loss-plan/
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
So how come not everyone who eats carbs gets diabetes? You just need to eat the right ones. And what do veg contain?

Vegetables (at least the organic ones that don’t have **** loads of plastic in them) have an abundance of a diverse range of nutrients. If you look at oats for example they are nutritionally dead in comparison. I really do agree with the book ‘wheat belly’ in that it is addictive and has profound effects on health.

If you analyse who gets diabetes: paleo vs high carb there is a big gap. Carbs use insulin like hell is it any wonder. Sure there might be people who eat carbs and don’t get diabetes but what sort of argument is that?

Grains are brought through many processes to get to the stage of being edible; and I would argue that they still aren’t fit for human consumption even in the end phase.

If you eat vegetable soup, for example, its nutrients are so much more bioavailable than say eating porridge; and you don’t get a blood sugar rush.
Original post by Guy481
Vegetables (at least the organic ones that don’t have **** loads of plastic in them) have an abundance of a diverse range of nutrients. If you look at oats for example they are nutritionally dead in comparison. I really do agree with the book ‘wheat belly’ in that it is addictive and has profound effects on health.

If you analyse who gets diabetes: paleo vs high carb there is a big gap. Carbs use insulin like hell is it any wonder. Sure there might be people who eat carbs and don’t get diabetes but what sort of argument is that?

Grains are brought through many processes to get to the stage of being edible; and I would argue that they still aren’t fit for human consumption even in the end phase.

If you eat vegetable soup, for example, its nutrients are so much more bioavailable than say eating porridge; and you don’t get a blood sugar rush

You do realise vegetables are mainly carbs don't you?
Carbs are sugars, starches and fibre. Sugars are quick release whereas starch is slow release and steadily provides energy throughout the day

To lose weight and still feel full, you need to increase your protein intake as it's protein that makes you feel full and satiated
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by MedicWil
You do realise vegetables are mainly carbs don't you?
Carbs are sugars, starches and fibre

Vegetables have less carbs than say porridge. But that’s not my point. Porridge is addictive we could eat it all day; could you honestly eat carrots all day? I know what I’m talking about you should listen. So you end up eating a lot more carbs with porridge because you binge.

Grains are addictive on the scale of heroin; why else would we eat so much of the stuff? You trying to blanket the gap between real food (vegetables) and filth like bread is a massive mistake. We are pretty much all addicted to grains and I bet you are as well.
I’ve just started trying to lose weight. I’m intermittent fasting and only eating between 12 and 8 and then I’m eating in deficit based on the weight I am already. The good thing about waiting to eat is that I can eat 2 bigger meals instead of three smaller. I can also normally have some fruit in between meals. I was already eating relatively healthy just too much of it so I’m avoiding pasta more then once a day and not having much sweet stuff or junk food, though I can have a chocolate biscuit or a few squares of chocolate and it’s not a big deal. I’m also following an exercise program.
It might seem like a lot but I’ve been complaining about my weight for years now but have never been fully committed, so I’m being pretty strict and will ease stuff as I progress to make it sustainable.
Reply 11
-Don't eat before 12pm and after 8pm
-Eat fewer calories (go in a calorie deficit)
-Workout (HIIT, go on long walks, bike riding)
-Don't eat food high in sugar and salt
-Cut out sugary drinks (no soft drinks, juices)
-Drink black coffee with no sugar or milk, green tea, water
-Try not to snack (if you do feel like snacking, switch to healthier options like homemade popcorn, nuts, hummus and wholemeal pita bread, carrots, pepper strips, and celery sticks
- Portion control your meals (smaller plates and eat with a teaspoon)
-Motivate yourself (ask yourself why you want to lose weight, the end goal etc)

Good luck:biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by ryukk
-Try not to snack (if you do feel like snacking, switch to healthier options like homemade popcorn, nuts, hummus and wholemeal pita bread, carrots, pepper strips, and celery sticks

That’s pretty good advice
Original post by Guy481
I know what I’m talking about you should listen.

Your posts in this thread suggest otherwise...
Reply 14
Original post by ryukk

Original post by black tea

PLEASE SPECIFY
Reply 15
Original post by black tea

What does your torso look like, is it ripped? Because mine is with minimal effort. That would indicate I know what I’m doing eh? Eh?
Original post by Guy481
Vegetables have less carbs than say porridge. But that’s not my point. Porridge is addictive we could eat it all day; could you honestly eat carrots all day? I know what I’m talking about you should listen. So you end up eating a lot more carbs with porridge because you binge.

Grains are addictive on the scale of heroin; why else would we eat so much of the stuff? You trying to blanket the gap between real food (vegetables) and filth like bread is a massive mistake. We are pretty much all addicted to grains and I bet you are as well.

Can't stand porridge.
Yep, love carrots but I've always eaten salad and veg.

Obviously you don't know what you're talking about.
We've been eating grains way back when we were hunter gatherers onwards. Our grandparents and great grandparents etc mainly are grains, it was a rarity then to see someone that was overweight.

The main reason that people are overweight now is due to junk food which is highly processed so our bodies can get nearly all the available nutrients out of it whereas real food is much harder to process so we can't get as much energy out of it. E.g. If you eat a carrot and junk food with the same nutritional content then your body will get more energy etc from the junk food.

Also excluding any food group is a sure fire way to a nutritional deficiency which is definitely not healthy for you. Look at kids and adults who don't eat fruit or vegetables; there's been a massive increase in cases of scurvy due to lack of Vitamin C, which the main source of is fruit and vegetables.
Additionally, if you exclude grains then you exclude a good source of protein unless you eat more meat such as chicken. As we all know, the greenhouse gases that are release by animals and transportation of meat are phenomenally higher than growing and transporting grain. If people were to eat less meat and more cereals, legumes, nuts and seeds then greenhouse gas emissions would be much lower and avert the disaster we are rapidly heading towards.
We'd also all be healthier. Also the diet of the Italian people is mainly fruit and veg, beans, fish, poultry, olive oil, tomatoes, grains and dairy and a tiny amount of read meat. It is well know that the Italians are one of the healthiest peoples in the world and have a very high life expectancy, far outstripping the UK.
Original post by Hello838474
Download MyFitnessPal and get into a routine of eating 3 portioned meals a day. And track what you eat. If you find yourself wanting to eat between those meals go for a walk/workout to a video at home instead, you’ll realise you’re not actually hungry. Or it could be thirst so remember to drink water.

I second getting myfitnesspal. Start off by just keeping a track of what you are eating and you will quickly see which foods are super high in calories. Also keep a track of how much exercise/walking you are doing - there are lots of apps that count your steps, for example, and walking is the easiest way to start doing some exercise. Once you have established what your baseline is, you can start making changes to your life.
Reply 18
Original post by Guy481

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Guy481
What does your torso look like, is it ripped? Because mine is with minimal effort. That would indicate I know what I’m doing eh? Eh?

I'm female and I look pretty good, yeah. But a ripped torso does not necessarily indicate you know anything about nutrition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending