The Student Room Group

Are all UK universities really that terrible?

I have read reviews on TSR and on other sites like StudentCrowd and it seems that all universities seem to have its share of terrible reviews saying things that make me worry about going to university. A lot of people say that their university is in some way unable to support them, has bad lectures or staff or has caused an incident in some way or another. The bad reviews of each university make me very worried about going somewhere to study. Are universities in the UK that bad or are reviewers setting the bar too high?

Scroll to see replies

Most universities are not very good they are in it to make lots of money and landlords rip of the students as there rents are far to high they are only in it to make money as well lots of students dont make friends and they are left on there own its like they have no one to talk with they maybe phone there parents a few times a week l think its so sad they just go for a walk in the park and they cant cook they live on salad and tuna from a tin thats why lots of students drop out from university as they have no one to support them
Original post by 73iso
I have read reviews on TSR and on other sites like StudentCrowd and it seems that all universities seem to have its share of terrible reviews saying things that make me worry about going to university. A lot of people say that their university is in some way unable to support them, has bad lectures or staff or has caused an incident in some way or another. The bad reviews of each university make me very worried about going somewhere to study. Are universities in the UK that bad or are reviewers setting the bar too high?

The vast majority of online reviews for anything are going to be negative. People who float through 3-4yrs and think everything is fine are not motivated to post a review. You have to bear in mind that tens of thousands of students are graduating each year.

Go on open days and make your own mind up, if it doesn’t look fun to you, don’t go!
Original post by 73iso

Every university is going to have something negative about it. You just need to weigh up the pros and cons. No university is perfect :dontknow:
Original post by 73iso

If thats what your research says, then must be right and you are better off trying another country to go to uni.
Reply 5
The thing with every review, is that people are more likely to do a review about a negative experience than a positive one. That's just how the human mind works
Reply 6
I have been out of Uni for along time so my comments are based upon my friends' progeny being in Uni. If one goes in wanting to be special or treated like royalty then reality will disappoint. Now keep in mind that they are institutions. They are large. Following the law of large numbers, there will be great teachers and bad teachers. There will be great administrators and bad ones. Most certainly there will be stupid rules or additional pointless requirements. Even so, you can choose how you approach the whole thing or any one part.

I humbly suggest that you ask yourself why you are going. Is it for a social life or a job? Both? Neither? Understand the why and make your why your priority. What are you willing to put up with to get your why answered?

I had to study really hard to do okay at Uni. But I loved the learning. I grew up during that point and learned so much, far more than just my texts and lectures. But I had to work really hard. Every single person will have a variation of love and hate for Uni. You can always find somebody to agree with you about something bad. Its a sorry state of the human condition. But, I respectfully challenge you to see how wonderful you can make the things you control if you go.

If you want to go STEM, perhaps fewer pints with friends. But how many of them will see what you see during your course? Whats more important to you?

My end point is a repeat: You can choose to make the most of whatever situation. Keep an open mind. Don't let perpetually negative people poison your views. yes bad things happen, but can does not equal will.

best
Reply 7
As with most things it tends to be a minority, combined with malcontents, who both writing bad reviews - most are perfectly happy with their university and simply feel no need to write anything one way or the other on it )
Original post by 73iso

I'm surprised you take StudentCrowd seriously about anything. It's stacked full of reviews that look as if they were written by a hungover gibbon after a night's partying in the jungle. The site doesn't even attempt moderation.
Reply 9
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I'm surprised you take StudentCrowd seriously about anything. It's stacked full of reviews that look as if they were written by a hungover gibbon after a night's partying in the jungle. The site doesn't even attempt moderation.

Actually some of the reviews I have read are quite serious and detailed. Some people with disabilities aren't being taken seriously. One review I had read was about someone who had to write their dissertation in three weeks with zero support. Someone had taken a joint honours in science and arts but wasn't given the option to do one of their subjects. I've read reviews about racism, bullying and hiding things under the carpet. The reviews that I have read has shown how universities ruin people's futures and it is very concerning.
UK unis are all terrible, it's why no one from any other country wants to come to them.

Oh wait.....
No one posts "I love my uni" Because that doesn't start conversations, those people don't need advice. People post when they are after advice or need help, got to get it off their chest, want to start a convo! My uni has taken people with disabilities quite seriously even when those who were the disabled people refused to acknowledge their own limits. I have seen the levels of support my uni gives, uni isn't for everyone it is an adjustment from A Levels there is no more spoon feeding you are expected to be more independent and for some people this is a shock. Older years are less inclined to post but clearly they enjoyed it enough to stay.
Reply 12
Original post by Roasted Potato
No one posts "I love my uni" Because that doesn't start conversations, those people don't need advice. People post when they are after advice or need help, got to get it off their chest, want to start a convo! My uni has taken people with disabilities quite seriously even when those who were the disabled people refused to acknowledge their own limits. I have seen the levels of support my uni gives, uni isn't for everyone it is an adjustment from A Levels there is no more spoon feeding you are expected to be more independent and for some people this is a shock. Oldbyer years are less inclined to post but clearly they enjoyed it enough to stay.

Which university do you go to?
Reply 13
Even Loughborough university, the university which has glowing student satisfaction has a bad review where one person was given a fine, cant remember how much it was but I think it was £50, for parking at a friend's house with permission.
Original post by 73iso
Even Loughborough university, the university which has glowing student satisfaction has a bad review where one person was given a fine, cant remember how much it was but I think it was £50, for parking at a friend's house with permission.

Yes but the person probably didn't give the whole story in the review. To get a £50 fine they must have parked somewhere wrong - maybe somewhere you needed a permit ....no surprise then if they got a parking fine and certainly that's no reason any sane person would strike Loughborough off their list of possible unis
Original post by 73iso
Which university do you go to?

Coventry

I can't really complain, I am a female engineer and some people were being rather derogatory towards females right before a trip, we complained and it was dealt with

Anyone with dyslexia could apply and get a chrome book. The stuff I would like to complain about probably would be I want more women but that is everywhere. I would like more help on coursework but they can't spoon feed you at this level and my grades are 2.1 or first so I'm just being greedy. They have a module evaluation which i do believe has an impact on changing modules for the better
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
It seems like universities are becoming like businesses where they take on lots of students and they can't give each one of them the attention they need.
Reply 17
Original post by harrysbar
Yes but the person probably didn't give the whole story in the review. To get a £50 fine they must have parked somewhere wrong - maybe somewhere you needed a permit ....no surprise then if they got a parking fine and certainly that's no reason any sane person would strike Loughborough off their list of possible unis

I would have applied in Loughborough but I didn't take Advanced Higher Maths to study Computer Science so I didn't meet the requirements.
Unis are business' they have to stay afloat! When applying for unis I had offers from lboro, leeds, brunel and Cov. I was rejected from Durham. Lboro was just a grade factory, really good reputation, really good grades, but even on the applicant day it was so clear it was oxbridge rejects, and they were asking why is Lboro not as good as Camb, and we didn't get really personal answers. Leeds was nice but they were focussed on mechanical engineering, I was desperate for Aerospace engineering. Cov had a really interesting statistic, they had the staff for more students, but didn't have the space. They had one of the best staff to student ratios in the country, rising in the ranks. A disability officer in the department that wasn't a lecturer, every student has an academic tutor, there are after lecture sessions called Theta to ask questions in or get further explanation on teaching, extra coursework support as well. They even have a place called Sigma dedicated to helping maths problems, the only one in the country. I felt like they were investing in their students which I didn't get elsewhere. Yes some are just grade factories and some actually want to produce the best students possible, able to think for themselves and I got that from Cov. All the other unis had old libraries that were priceless, Cov has a new library with a ground level, Silent level, Post grad level, Quiet level and a disruptive media learning (my favourite) The walls are made of whiteboards, there is fake grass in some areas, loads of table top space, this felt like a library built for students of today rather than a museum. Admittedly it gets very full in coursework or exam season so they built a second engineering block to cope with this.

To summarise, I like my uni, I feel invested in, when applying I didn't get that from everywhere I got business vibes from Lboro
Original post by Roasted Potato
Coventry

I can't really complain, I am a female engineer and some people were being rather derogatory towards females right before a trip, we complained and it was dealt with

Anyone with dyslexia could apply and get a chrome book. The stuff I would like to complain about probably would be I want more women but that is everywhere. I would like more help on coursework but they can't spoon feed you at this level and my grades are 2.1 or first so I'm just being greedy. They have a module evaluation which i do believe has an impact on changing modules for the better

PRSOM.

A good uni is able to accommodate for the majority and take criticism on board. Warwick (my uni) went through the same thing too. The experience won't be perfect but then again, no one expects to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending