The Student Room Group

Simpsons ends use of white actors to voice people of colour

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
heard about this..

it's a shame that apu's actor is refusing to voice apu ....and that cleveland browns actor is not doing the voice anymore either.

i think people are becoming too sensitive. I mean i'm black and was never offended by the Cleveland Brown show. I actually found it funny AF
Reply 2
Ah more of this, 'only blacks can act black parts, gays for gay parts' etc. etc.
All well and good and that but a bit awkward if you try and reverse the logic train, no? If only straight people can act straight people (etc.) could be a bit unfortunate for any minority (of whatever description) trying to get the role..
I look forward to only backwoods Alabamans being allowed to voice Cleetus, and only Reform Jewish clowns being allowed to voice Krusty. Or does segregation only exist when it's in favour of the Woke?
Reply 4
Simpsons is and has been terrible for over 15(maybe even 20) years now.

The bigger question is who even still watches it?
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
Ah more of this, 'only blacks can act black parts, gays for gay parts' etc. etc.
All well and good and that but a bit awkward if you try and reverse the logic train, no? If only straight people can act straight people (etc.) could be a bit unfortunate for any minority (of whatever description) trying to get the role..

For instance, I don’t think many people care that Bart’s character is voiced by a woman. You wouldn’t hear anyone say ‘Bart should be voiced by a prepubescent boy, not an adult woman’ - it would be ludicrous.

Actors lend their voices to characters, it’s their job(!!)

I understand and accept how replacing a historically non-white character with a white actor isn’t good, but these are cartoons!!
Reply 6
Original post by ANM775
heard about this..

it's a shame that apu's actor is refusing to voice apu ....and that cleveland browns actor is not doing the voice anymore either.

i think people are becoming too sensitive. I mean i'm black and was never offended by the Cleveland Brown show. I actually found it funny AF

There’s even an article within the article I’ve linked saying that not all Indians find offence in Apu’s stereotypes.
Reply 7
Original post by DSilva
Simpsons is and has been terrible for over 15(maybe even 20) years now.

The bigger question is who even still watches it?

Haven’t watched in 8-10 years. I have no interest in it anymore.
Reply 8
Original post by Occitanie
Haven’t watched in 8-10 years. I have no interest in it anymore.

The first 10 seasons (especially 3-8) were some of the best seasons of television ever, genuinely.

It then lost its good writers and went rapidly downhill. It's just awful now, so hollow.
Reply 9
Original post by Occitanie
There’s even an article within the article I’ve linked saying that not all Indians find offence in Apu’s stereotypes.

I think what makes the Simpsons so funny is that pretty much all the characters are stereotyped. What makes it even funnier is that most of the stereotyping is not too far away from real life.
Reply 10
The "woke left" is embarrassing and keep proving how irritating they are every day.:facepalm:
Reply 11
Original post by nutz99
I think what makes the Simpsons so funny is that pretty much all the characters are stereotyped. What makes it even funnier is that most of the stereotyping is not too far away from real life.

The roots of the show are stereotyping and parodying.

Context and intent don’t matter anymore.
Reply 12
Original post by DSilva
The first 10 seasons (especially 3-8) were some of the best seasons of television ever, genuinely.

It then lost its good writers and went rapidly downhill. It's just awful now, so hollow.

All good things come to and end... but you’re right, the show rested on the first 10 seasons.
Reply 13
This goes to show just how cancer the lefty tossers are , bunch of sensitive morons and quite frankly are the same ******s that south park takes the p!ss out of every year
Original post by ryukk
The "woke left" is embarrassing and keep proving how irritating they are every day.:facepalm:

Except the 'Woke Left' didn't ask for this. This is companies doing what they can to appeal to others.m

Original post by Darole
This goes to show just how cancer the lefty tossers are , bunch of sensitive morons and quite frankly are the same ******s that south park takes the p!ss out of every year

Can you show me where any lefties ask for this? Some of you really have a weird attitude to any left-winger, Seems like you haven't had any left-wing friends either.
Reply 15
Original post by TheStarboy
Except the 'Woke Left' didn't ask for this. This is companies doing what they can to appeal to others.m

Can you show me where any lefties ask for this? Some of you really have a weird attitude to any left-winger, Seems like you haven't had any left-wing friends either.

The thing is I'm pretty left-wing myself, but stuff like this is just embarrassing as there is no point why an actor should step down because they're not the same as the character they're playing. The whole point of acting is to pretend to be somebody you're not. I criticised the woke left because for some reason they think its "progressive".
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ryukk

It does not help that they are being pandered too by literally every organisation and most parliaments in the world. Those who are enabling this are just as pathetic. Starbucks so far the only company with a pair of *******s.
So is this what the BLM protestors were aiming to achieve?
Original post by ryukk
The thing is I'm pretty left-wing myself, but stuff like this is just embarrassing as there is no point why an actor should step down because they're not the same as the character they're playing. The whole point of acting is to pretend to be somebody you're not. I criticised the woke left because for some reason they think its "progressive".

I'm left-wing too and this 'woke left' thing hardly helps everyone. No one made the actor step down. I'm sure it's the producers trying to avoid backlash and attempting to make themselves look good. The Left hardly cares about that, we have more important things anyway.
Original post by RedGiant
So is this what the BLM protestors were aiming to achieve?

I didn't see any requirements from BLM, It's almost like it's the producers trying to make themselves look good...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending