The Student Room Group

Asthma

Hi, so for the past week or so I had a chesty cough and a wheeze every time I inhaled. Then my mum tried giving me her inhaler and the wheeze was gone when I woke up this morning. Do you think that's a coincidence or should I maybe get tested for asthma? Thanks for any help

Scroll to see replies

Yh go to your GP and get tested !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so for the past week or so I had a chesty cough and a wheeze every time I inhaled. Then my mum tried giving me her inhaler and the wheeze was gone when I woke up this morning. Do you think that's a coincidence or should I maybe get tested for asthma? Thanks for any help

It might just be the cough you had and the asthma pump will work for anyone who has a tight chest, it's just they're prescribed to those who have asthma because they are more likely to need them. Get it checked out if you're worried about it, it's better to know :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by stillcrying
It might just be the cough you had and the asthma pump will work for anyone who has a tight chest, it's just they're prescribed to those who have asthma because they are more likely to need them. Get it checked out if you're worried about it, it's better to know :smile:

Ah I see, thank you! If the wheeze comes back without the cough I think I'll get it checked :smile:
Ah I see, thank you! If the wheeze comes back without the cough I think I'll get it checked :smile:

No problem! I get a wheezy cough occasionally and I don't have asthma so I'm presuming you're the same. Also, I've taken my dad's inhaler before when someone was vaping around me and it made my breathing tight and that was a one-off. I'm sure it's nothing but if it's persistent get it checked out! Wish you all the best! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

You should never be sharing inhalers - what if your mum had coronavirus. Very very bad idea. Get to GP and get checked
You need to self isolate and request a covid swab.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Inhalers are not only used for asthma, they are used for a number of other lung related issues as well. If this was new, it sounds like it could possibly be Covid, as I doubt you just suddenly developed asthma that quick ( asthma tends to build up, starting out with a small cough or trouble breathing ), unless you had a random flare up.
I would call your GP and see what they want you to do, but for now self-isolate as it sounds like Covid.

erm - sounds NOTHING like covid !
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel

I was thinking back to the cough. Not the whole 'inhaler helping it' part.
Original post by LovelyMrFox
I was thinking back to the cough. Not the whole 'inhaler helping it' part.

OP stated they had a chesty cough. Covid 19 is typically a dry persistent cough. It is unwise to start diagnosing over the internet unless you have significant medical experience and even then it is better left in the hands of a face to face clinician.

And for the record - I have been in ITU as a nurse over the past few months
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
OP stated they had a chesty cough. Covid 19 is typically a dry persistent cough. It is unwise to start diagnosing over the internet unless you have significant medical experience and even then it is better left in the hands of a face to face clinician.

And for the second - I have been in ITU as a nurse over the past few months

I didnt thoroughly read the OP over, my bad.

Any new cough in the context of a global pandemic needs to be considered as COVID. The government advice is pretty clear regarding any new continuous cough.

And for the record - I have been in ITU as a nurse over the past few months

They should get a covid swab.
Hey thanks everyone for the advice.

I haven't got tested for Covid as I've had this cough since March, I self-isolated for the two weeks when I first got it, and figured it probably wasn't as it's a chesty cough, I called 111 about it too and they said it didn't sound like Covid

I haven't got tested for Covid as I've had this cough since March, I self-isolated for the two weeks when I first got it, and figured it probably wasn't as it's a chesty cough, I called 111 about it too and they said it didn't sound like Covid

Quite different to what you said in the OP... a key reason why you shouldn't see medical advice on the internet I suppose..

Persistent cough and responsiveness to inhalers are key features of asthma. Get off the internet and seek a professional opinion.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Quite different to what you said in the OP...

Persistent cough and responsiveness to inhalers are key features of asthma. Get off the internet and seek a professional opinion.

Sorry, i worded it wrong, I meant the wheeze had come on in the past week

I just asked the question to see if it was worth going to the GP or if I was worrying about nothing

Youve had a cough since March ?
Youve had a cough since March ?

Yeah I've spoken to the doctor's several times since then, was prescribed antibiotics which didn't help and the second time I went they said I sounded fine in myself so didn't give me anything
Yeah I've spoken to the doctor's several times since then, was prescribed antibiotics which didn't help and the second time I went they said I sounded fine in myself so didn't give me anything

Ok if they said you sounded fine that’s reassuring!
Ok if they said you sounded fine that’s reassuring!

Yeah kinda just got used to it now haha

Quick Reply

Latest