The Student Room Group

Need help choosing my 3rd subject for a level

Hi, I'm quite worried about next year which is my lower sixth year. This is because I'm struggling to choose my 3rd subject for A level. My first two are, Maths and Business Studies. What would be the best if I wanted to have a future as a entrepreneur or a businessman, which one would be the best for me out of these options?
Art
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry
Computer Science
Design Technology
Drama
Economics
English Lit.
French
Geography
German
Politics
History
Latin
Maths
Further Maths
Music
PE
Physics
Religious Studies
Spanish

I thought about psychology but my friends said there are more writing tasks than other subjects so it wouldn't be the best for me (this is because english is my second language). So this is the situation, I'm worried, I'm scared, and I also need guidance. Thanks for your answers
economics or computer science
(edited 3 years ago)
For business you’ll be okay with those two so I’d recommend doing a third subject that you enjoy. Failing that, do a well respected one - one of the sciences will always look good (bio/chem/phys) or you might find computer science or economics useful on your course.
Entrepeneur: computer science
Businessman: economics or further maths
Original post by alevelaqyestion
Hi, I'm quite worried about next year which is my lower sixth year. This is because I'm struggling to choose my 3rd subject for A level. My first two are, Maths and Business Studies. What would be the best if I wanted to have a future as a entrepreneur or a businessman, which one would be the best for me out of these options?

I thought about psychology but my friends said there are more writing tasks than other subjects so it wouldn't be the best for me (this is because english is my second language). So this is the situation, I'm worried, I'm scared, and I also need guidance. Thanks for your answers

What degree are you thinking of? Have a look at the requirements for that.

You could also try your options in this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Do pick something you enjoy and are good at though :smile:
Im sorry i don't know much but my friend is taking maths, business and economics, and im starting economics too. That could be useful as it's dealing with money? It is a mix of both maths and writing. Also, any of the subjects that unis love would be pretty helpful (sciences, modern languages, eng lit, maths, geography and history). Have you looked at uni courses you're interested in? Maybe see the recommended or required subjects (if you're going uni that is). Good luck. I struggled a lot with picking mine too
Thanks a lot for your answer, do you know anything about psychology course for a level?
Original post by Muttley79
What degree are you thinking of? Have a look at the requirements for that.

You could also try your options in this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Do pick something you enjoy and are good at though :smile:

Thanks! The website is extremely useful, but i've got a question, would it be a good combination to do economics and business studies together? Because I'm afraid that school might not let me take them both because they're too similar
Original post by eleanaaah
For business you’ll be okay with those two so I’d recommend doing a third subject that you enjoy. Failing that, do a well respected one - one of the sciences will always look good (bio/chem/phys) or you might find computer science or economics useful on your course.

I appreciate your time to answer, another quick question. Would it be logical to take business studies and economics together? I feel like they're too similar and the school might not even let me take them both at the same time
Thanks for your answer, I'll consider those too!
Art
Biology
Business Studies
Chemistry
Computer Science
Design Technology
Drama
Economics
English Lit.
French
Geography
German
Politics
History
Latin
Maths
Further Maths
Music
PE
Physics
Religious Studies
Spanish

Computer science
Thanks! The website is extremely useful, but i've got a question, would it be a good combination to do economics and business studies together? Because I'm afraid that school might not let me take them both because they're too similar

I wouldn't advise that combination - one or the other.
I wouldn't advise that combination - one or the other.

Thanks for the answer. Is it because they got so much in common or is it something else?
Original post by Kubsyy
Computer science

I did Computer Science as one of my GCSE options but I realised it's really not for me... Would Politics be good?
Thanks for the answer. Is it because they got so much in common or is it something else?

Yes, there is an overlap and that could be an issue. Many schools won't allow it for that reason.
Yes, there is an overlap and that could be an issue. Many schools won't allow it for that reason.

Got it. Thanks
I did Computer Science as one of my GCSE options but I realised it's really not for me... Would Politics be good?

Hi, sorry for the late response. I don’t know what you have to do in Politics as I never took it and I won’t next year but I know that it involves writing essays so if you are into essays then I think you should do Politics.

I thought that Computing would be a better option as you will get taught about web design (In Scotland you do but I think at A level you do) and being as a entrepreneur you can design your own simple website about your business. It also teaches you problem solving and critical thinking.

Hope this helps :smile:
Physics or biology fit in well with your other choices and leave options open. CS could also be a decent choice. Perhaps check the style of Geography exams if you are not so attracted by sciences?
Definitely do not do econ and business. Pick the one you prefer and go with that. If you want to do something mathematical at uni maybe FM but otherwise pick whatever subject you think you can do the best in/enjoy the most.
Ive heard psych is biology, some maths and then essay writing. Not the most respected but definitely not the least either. But i would just choose something you enjoy

Quick Reply

Latest