The Student Room Group

Justin Bieber files defamation lawsuit after sexual assault claims

This could end up being a spectacularly expensive tweet for these two ladies :lol:

Justin Bieber is suing two women for defamation after they accused him of sexual assault.
Last week, two Twitter accounts tweeted claims about incidents alleged to have happened in 2014 and 2015.
Bieber denied the claims and vowed to speak to Twitter to urge the social media giant to take legal action.
The singer, 26, filed a $20 million (£16.2m) lawsuit in Los Angeles on Thursday which describes the allegations as "fabricated lies".

An account from a woman known only as Danielle claimed she was assaulted by Bieber at a hotel in Austin, Texas on 9 March 2014.
She claims that after a surprise performance in front of a crowd at a bar, Bieber invited her and two friends to a Four Seasons hotel.
Danielle then claims she was taken to a private room in the hotel and assaulted.
Her tweets have been deleted however screenshots have been shared on social media.
Responding to the claims, Bieber shared screenshots from articles from the day the alleged assault took place, which show him with his then-girlfriend Selena Gomez.
He says they did not stay at the Four Seasons Hotel. Bieber shared a screenshot of a tweet which claimed he was spotted at restaurant inside a Four Seasons Hotel on 10 March, the day after the alleged assault.
"Even though Bieber went to the restaurant, he did NOT stay at the Four Seasons Hotel," the lawsuit said.
Another woman who identified herself as Kadi alleged on Twitter that she was sexually assaulted by Bieber in a New York hotel in May 2015.
The lawsuit says her accusation is false and that she had fabricated her allegation "out of her desire for fame and attention".
It claimed that the women were "trying to capitalize on the climate of fear permeating the entertainment industry, Hollywood and corporate America, whereby it is open season for anyone to make any claim (no matter how vile, unsupported, and provably false) about anyone without consequence".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53201446

Scroll to see replies

As controversial as this comment may be, because I know that some people will take it out of context...

It’s about time somebody did this. Because the mind does wonder, in how many metoo cases we’ve seen, how many have been a case of the women in question have thrown themselves at someone then regretted it the next day, and decided to call rape? We know it happens, but how much does it happen. I’m not a fan of Bieber, but I genuinely don’t believe he would do anything like this. It’s about time somebody bit back at these women who blame everyone else for their mistakes and ruin lives.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don’t think allegations should ever be made via social media.
He must have known this was coming after growing that proper sex offender tache. :colonhash:
#Believeallwomen?
Original post by Underscore__
#Believeallwomen?

#notwhentheirallegationsdon'tholdup
Original post by StriderHort
#notwhentheirallegationsdon'tholdup

I was joking, believing all anything is clearly ridiculous
#Believeallwomen?

I think that was kicked into the long grass by its fans as soon as Sniffer Biden was accused.
Original post by Napp
This could end up being a spectacularly expensive tweet for these two ladies :lol:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53201446

I'm confused. Even if these claims are false, why are the people being sued? Are they well known people / celebrities making these claims or just random and otherwise unheard of Twitter users? Typically this stuff would just be ignored. For all we know these could just be two 4Chan trolls.
Original post by SHallowvale
I'm confused. Even if these claims are false, why are the people being sued? Are they well known people / celebrities making these claims or just random and otherwise unheard of Twitter users? Typically this stuff would just be ignored. For all we know these could just be two 4Chan trolls.

Defamation of character has occurred, the posts were widely share.
Original post by DiddyDec
Defamation of character has occurred, the posts were widely share.

How widely shared?
That's his right. Our system is one of innocent until proven guilty.
How widely shared?

Enough for him to hear about it and sue.
Original post by StriderHort
He must have known this was coming after growing that proper sex offender tache. :colonhash:

😂😂😂

As long as they can be traced they can be sued whether they are 4chan trolls or fame seeking young women.

It’s good that he hasn’t just ignored it, people need to learn that you can’t just say whatever you want one the internet when what you’re saying can have a huge impact on someone else’s life.
Original post by DiddyDec
Enough for him to hear about it and sue.

Seemingly. I couldn't find any reference to how popular the tweets became in the article.

Defamation of character but it should hopefully also deter others from doing the same thing in cases where it is simply not true. It takes away from those who are actually assaulted.
As long as they can be traced they can be sued whether they are 4chan trolls or fame seeking young women.

It’s good that he hasn’t just ignored it, people need to learn that you can’t just say whatever you want one the internet when what you’re saying can have a huge impact on someone else’s life.

If the tweets gained a lot of traction then I can understand why he'd want to sue, sure, though it just seems like if this was some random ass tweet then it isn't worth anyone's time going after the person(s) who wrote it.
If the tweets gained a lot of traction then I can understand why he'd want to sue, sure, though it just seems like if this was some random ass tweet then it isn't worth anyone's time going after the person(s) who wrote it.

If it sends the message that you can’t just get away with saying these kind of things then perhaps it is
If it sends the message that you can’t just get away with saying these kind of things then perhaps it is

Perhaps JB cares a lot about that sort of thing then. If I were in his shoes, or some similar position, I'd probably be use to randomers making false accusations about me. 🤷*♀️

Quick Reply