The Student Room Group

I had to pay £10 for necessary GCSE materials

My past high school was so crap. Being rated inadequate last year by Ofsted tells it all. But my main gripe is this. At the start of Y10, our English teacher made us pay £10 for GCSE materials, whilst bottom set kids probably got them for free. Not to mention my brother the year after that got them for free. Was that exploitation?
Reply 1
No. Not exploitation.

Unless you know for sure bottom set got it for free, you have not been ripped off.
Original post by EmergencyAccount
My past high school was so crap. Being rated inadequate last year by Ofsted tells it all. But my main gripe is this. At the start of Y10, our English teacher made us pay £10 for GCSE materials, whilst bottom set kids probably got them for free. Not to mention my brother the year after that got them for free. Was that exploitation?

Lol you sound like an ungrateful brat
Original post by Fermion.
Lol you sound like an ungrateful brat

I thought state education was meant to be free. Apart from school uniforms, dinners and trips.
I thought state education was meant to be free. Apart from school uniforms, dinners and trips.

You thought wrong

Yes but you still have to pay for things such as textbooks

It’s only £10. You didn’t exactly spend a fortune.
If you had money issues, you could’ve told your school and they would’ve arranged something...

Sorry to break the bad news to you, but many of the bottom set kids get their dinners for free too

We had to pay for our anthology when I was doing my GCSEs.
Build a bridge, get over it.
I assume it was revision guides?

What did you have to buy?
Reply 11
If you're forced to go to school you shouldn't be made to pay for any essential materials.
Reply 12
You say your past high school? Get over it already, my goodness :rolleyes:
I had to pay £40 as a ‘general education fee’ when I started at my sixth form college. It was a one off payment that just helped the college provide better materials for us.

Unfortunately schools are getting less and less money and they have to find solutions around it, just be glad that so much of your education is free and move on....
bro school is one walking scam

Sure was. You need to report them to social services and lawyer up as a violation of your human rights and a different claim for child exploitation plus dereliction of duty. Dont forget to claim the interest. You could make it onto the news. You are obviously suffering psychological damage mwah mwah mwah damage as well plus some plastic surgery and physio for that gigantic sulk.
Wait till you get into adulthood 🤣
Nothing comes free! Also what does it matter, as long as it is helping you, it shouldnt matter! Im sure you would be the first to buy a new phone or whatever, doesnt the same principles apply?

I’m gonna say this nicely since some people are coming across rude and I don’t want you to feel bad. Most gcse materials cost way more than £10 so the fact that you’re school is charging that is a bargain. In my old school most people had to pay for an re textbook but because I wasn’t doing well I got it for free. So no it isn’t exploitation, I’d say that is a pretty good deal
Original post by 999tigger
Sure was. You need to report them to social services and lawyer up as a violation of your human rights and a different claim for child exploitation plus dereliction of duty. Dont forget to claim the interest. You could make it onto the news. You are obviously suffering psychological damage mwah mwah mwah damage as well plus some plastic surgery and physio for that gigantic sulk.

Tbf the guardian would love this type of story 😂

Quick Reply

Latest