The Student Room Group

What to do about car at university?

I’ve just booked my accommodation however none of them offered car parking and I want to take my car to uni. What can I do?
See if you can park your car nearby but in general you will not need your car.
If your accomodation is close to the uni it really isn't necessary.
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve just booked my accommodation however none of them offered car parking and I want to take my car to uni. What can I do?

Are you set on taking your car to uni? There can be a hindrance and an unnecessary expense if you won't use it often.
Reply 3
I only bought it a few months ago so I don’t want to get rid of it so soon.
Some unis might have off street unrestricted parking near by. you can look on google maps or ask local groups.
I wouldn't recommend using it often as it will get really expensive to do so
I only bought it a few months ago so I don’t want to get rid of it so soon.

Could you keep it at home and drive it when you visit? As another poster said, your only options are to look for free road parking, or rent a driveway/garage from someone.

Hey! :smile:

I've just graduated from university here at Portsmouth and have had my car for the whole three years, and if I could give you one piece of advice it would be to not take your car. Honestly, unless you physically need to (which I did) it is not worth the hassle. I can't even explain how much of a hindrance it has been the past three years having my car here.

For two years I had to park down a dodgy alley as it was the only place I could find which didn't have parking restrictions close by, and I am surprised it was never stolen or broken into. Plus, there's petrol costs, insurance, maintenance, and you probably won't even need it. I don't know what university you are going to but most places have good transport and many places are very walkable.

A lot of students bring their car when they move into private accommodation as there will usually be parking, but more problems can arise then. For example, we have parking restrictions on our road so unless I change my vehicle registration to here, I can't get a parking permit so have to park elsewhere. It's honestly all a bit of a nightmare really... :frown:

Hope this helps a bit, and if you have any specific questions I'd love to help a bit more! :smile:

Courtney -- Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey! :smile:

I've just graduated from university here at Portsmouth and have had my car for the whole three years, and if I could give you one piece of advice it would be to not take your car. Honestly, unless you physically need to (which I did) it is not worth the hassle. I can't even explain how much of a hindrance it has been the past three years having my car here.

For two years I had to park down a dodgy alley as it was the only place I could find which didn't have parking restrictions close by, and I am surprised it was never stolen or broken into. Plus, there's petrol costs, insurance, maintenance, and you probably won't even need it. I don't know what university you are going to but most places have good transport and many places are very walkable.

A lot of students bring their car when they move into private accommodation as there will usually be parking, but more problems can arise then. For example, we have parking restrictions on our road so unless I change my vehicle registration to here, I can't get a parking permit so have to park elsewhere. It's honestly all a bit of a nightmare really... :frown:

Hope this helps a bit, and if you have any specific questions I'd love to help a bit more! :smile:

Courtney -- Official Student Rep :smile:

Thank you

Id say for first year leave it at home, then when you get a house in second year you can re-evaluate if you need it.
You'll save on insurance and then just get temporary insurance for Easter break & the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending