The Student Room Group

What to wear to College?

I’m starting college in September and want to spend some money on comfortable clothing to wear around since you can wear anything. I’ve heard since colleges don’t really care what you wear, people wear Pajamas, flip flops, etc. So if you’re in college at the moment, what do you usually wear and what type of clothing is cool to wear around. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Osmundhunter
I’m starting college in September and want to spend some money on comfortable clothing to wear around since you can wear anything. I’ve heard since colleges don’t really care what you wear, people wear Pajamas, flip flops, etc. So if you’re in college at the moment, what do you usually wear and what type of clothing is cool to wear around. Thanks

O h for heavens sake just wear CLOTHES - nobody cares what you wear and since many things are going to be online you can wear your birthday suit
No one wears pyjamas - I wore a top, jeans/leggings, trainers/boots and a hoodie/jumper and that was it and most people wore that too (I’m not really a fan of joggers so I didn’t wear them). Wear whatever - as long as it’s not inappropriate.
Depends what gender you are and what your style/personality is. A lot of people, particularly girls, take it as an opportunity to really experiment with their clothes and style. Guys it’s mostly track duty type of stuff or jeans and T-shirt/hoodie. I (girl) wore jeans and jumpers/ cardigans a lot but I did also experiment a bit. It’s a nice opportunity to go a bit out of your comfort zone.
A girl I know always carries a Jiff lemon juice container in her bag.
One of the plastic ones shaped like a lemon 🍋 you can aim and squeeze into somebody's eyes.
I thought that was quite clever of her myself.
Original post by Osmundhunter

Depends on your college.Some schools have business casual clothing, business clothing, others you get to wear what you want etc please check your school website (I for example can't wear jeans, trainers, leggings, hoodies, "canvas style shoes" etc which sucks).
Original post by squeakysquirrel
O h for heavens sake just wear CLOTHES - nobody cares what you wear and since many things are going to be online you can wear your birthday suit

OP is asking for advice from people their age, not from middle aged women who can't remember what it's like to be a teenager. Clothes are important at that age, and people do care - nothing wrong with that, and it's a part of growing up and developing your own style.

My school had a dress code so I'm afraid I have no first hand experience. At uni, people wore a range of different things - from jeans and T-shirts to shirts and bow ties, but I never saw anyone wearing pyjamas lol.
Meh I'd just wear a cute oversized jumper, jeans and some trainers/sneakers/boots.
You start in September so it's not like you can wear summer clothes.
Oversized clothing gang aaaall the waayyy :h:
Original post by black tea
OP is asking for advice from people their age, not from middle aged women who can't remember what it's like to be a teenager. Clothes are important at that age, and people do care - nothing wrong with that, and it's a part of growing up and developing your own style.

My school had a dress code so I'm afraid I have no first hand experience. At uni, people wore a range of different things - from jeans and T-shirts to shirts and bow ties, but I never saw anyone wearing pyjamas lol.

And you are perpetuating the idea that people actually care. For crying out loud we have just gone through one of the worst periods in living memory.... I was on the front line. And you are bringing me up on clothes. Yes i may be middle aged but I am right up there with fashion. I wear doc martens and have a nose piercing. But times are different. Also I have three children who are well balanced and all educ9
I wore jeans everyday with a top and sometimes a fluffier cardigan during the winter. But people wore all sorts, only people who lived on campus ever wore pyjamas and that was very rare. People wore hoodies, t-shirts, leggings, shorts... jumpers in the winter ...it really doesn't matter. The only person i knew who dressed up a bit was my friend and that was because she was 26 at the time. However, she started to wear jeans and t-shirts in the end :smile:
I am a middle aged student and even I wear jeans trainers and a hoody!
I have not seen anyone in pyjamas, it would be very frowned upon i think.
Original post by Catherine1973
I am a middle aged student and even I wear jeans trainers and a hoody!
I have not seen anyone in pyjamas, it would be very frowned upon i think.

Hah watch me pull up in my Teddy bear PJs
Whatever clothes you normally wear, it isn't difficult. Nobody really cares what you wear to college, most people won't remember what you wore yesterday.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
And you are perpetuating the idea that people actually care. For crying out loud we have just gone through one of the worst periods in living memory.... I was on the front line. And you are bringing me up on clothes. Yes i may be middle aged but I am right up there with fashion. I wear doc martens and have a nose piercing. But times are different. Also I have three children who are well balanced and all educ9

They do care. Yes, we all know you were on the front line (as have many people on this website, yet they don't feel the need to shout about it in every post...) but that is entirely irrelevant to OP and the question they asked.
Everyone in my class pretty much wore trainers, jeans, t-shirts and hoodies or tracksuit tops.
Some of them wore trousers and shirts the first week or two then followed the trend as they realised comfort was more important... You don't want to be wearing tight fitting and restrictive clothes nor clothes that are too warm.
Just wear what is comfortable to you, we all have our own styles. But try to buy sustainably if you can afford it, buy vintage, from smaller sellers on etsy, depop or ebay and buy from sustainable brands. Please do not purchased from fast fashion brands. Take your new chapter of life right now to also pick up something positive like helping the environment!
Original post by black tea

Thank you so much for understanding. Like I’m sure when you were my age or are, it isn’t that big of a deal but clothing is more than just putting stuff on at this age. Thanks again :smile:
Original post by sellingpetrl
Just wear what is comfortable to you, we all have our own styles. But try to buy sustainably if you can afford it, buy vintage, from smaller sellers on etsy, depop or ebay and buy from sustainable brands. Please do not purchased from fast fashion brands. Take your new chapter of life right now to also pick up something positive like helping the environment!

Thank you so much that’s really helpful and a good shout too because vintage would be a lot cheaper than spending £50 on one pair of sweatpants lol. Cheers! :smile:
Original post by MedicWil
Everyone in my class pretty much wore trainers, jeans, t-shirts and hoodies or tracksuit tops.
Some of them wore trousers and shirts the first week or two then followed the trend as they realised comfort was more important... You don't want to be wearing tight fitting and restrictive clothes nor clothes that are too warm.

Yeah that’s true actually. Thank you alot!
Original post by DiddyDec
Whatever clothes you normally wear, it isn't difficult. Nobody really cares what you wear to college, most people won't remember what you wore yesterday.

Haha that’s true 😂 thanks for responding! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest