The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Being able to make it to Cambridge by October for the start of the term

Hello!
I’m an international student with an offer at Cambridge for this October.
With the pandemic and visa centres closed, international borders shutdown and having not yet completed my final semester examinations, I’m really worried about meeting the conditions and making it to Cambridge this October.
Is there anybody else with the same problem?
Please can somebody suggest on what could be done or what might happen?
Yes, there are a lot of people in the same - or similar - positions.

You have to start by assuming that things will go ahead, prepare for the best (whilst expecting rapid changes)

Read very carefully any letters, emails and follow what they say.

Cambridge is one of the only UK universities to have controversially stated their position.
(But I only read this on media/news - confirm it at cam.ac.uk)

They stated a while ago that the first 2020/2021 term lectures will be purely virtual. This might be a good idea. But check if this is accurate in your case.
Here?:https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/coronavirus
(edited 3 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by LuigiMario

Cambridge is one of the only UK universities to have controversially stated their position.

They stated a while ago that the first 2020/2021 term will be purely virtual. This might be a good idea. But check if this is accurate in your case.

Only lectures, which for Cambridge isn't that significant as the small group supervisions are the key part of their teaching. Having lectures online then frees up the bigger halls for use for socially distanced seminars/classes etc. Don't know about labs tho but that's the same issue at any uni.

It's not that Cambridge is the only one doing it... Most unis are planning to or at least considering but just haven't said. Better to be upfront with students than turn around end of August with that info.
Oops Yes, lectures, I’ll edit & add that

Going to university of Leiden here, for first time in September - and they said they plan to have a completely normal start, but anything could happen. They plan to fully open, but they have any number of backup plans - all the way to fully closed.
Reply 4
Original post by Alena987
Hello!
With the pandemic and visa centres closed, international borders shutdown and having not yet completed my final semester examinations, I’m really worried about meeting the conditions and making it to Cambridge this October.

I'm sure that Cambridge will work with any students who are unable to get to Cambridge for October. e.g. I imagine supervisions would be done virtually for students who were still away from Cambridge, until they could travel. I'm sure your college would discuss this with you nearer the time if it still looked like this would be the case.

Are you still planning on taking your final exams at the normal time?/Are your college aware of your exams situation, if anything has changed?
Reply 5
Original post by LuigiMario
Yes, there are a lot of people in the same - or similar - positions.

You have to start by assuming that things will go ahead, prepare for the best (whilst expecting rapid changes)

Read very carefully any letters, emails and follow what they say.

They stated a while ago that the first 2020/2021 term lectures will be purely virtual. This might be a good idea. But check if this is accurate in your case.

Thank you so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Claree
I'm sure that Cambridge will work with any students who are unable to get to Cambridge for October. e.g. I imagine supervisions would be done virtually for students who were still away from Cambridge, until they could travel. I'm sure your college would discuss this with you nearer the time if it still looked like this would be the case.

Are you still planning on taking your final exams at the normal time?/Are your college aware of your exams situation, if anything has changed?

They plan on cancelling it ! Still receiving the transcripts would require a lot more time than October
Reply 7
They plan on cancelling it ! Still receiving the transcripts would require a lot more time than October

You mean your final exams are planned to be cancelled?

if Cambridge require the transcripts by a certain date, but you think your transcripts may be delayed due to covid, then you should let the college your offer is from know - they can tell you what you should do. :smile:
Hello!

Cambridge are planning to start term as normal - they sent out an email to that effect circa 16th and it's on their Covid pages.

If you aren't going to make your conditions by the due date, which I think is now 31 July, but may have slipped to Aug (? I'm not an applicant so I'm not sure), then you need to keep in contact with the admissions team with the latest info you have and see what they say.

I'm not sure what leeway they might have for matriculation (formally joining the University) without evidence of meeting the conditions of your offer. Not being able to physically get to Cambridge I think they've already suggested they can deal with if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending