The Student Room Group

Furniture restorer made an attempt to restore art in spain and screw it up

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jun/22/experts-call-for-regulation-after-latest-botched-art-restoration-in-spain

Conservation experts in Spain have called for a tightening of the laws covering restoration work after a copy of a famous painting by the baroque artist Bartolomé Esteban Murillo became the latest in a long line of artworks to suffer a damaging and disfiguring repair.
A private art collector in Valencia was reportedly charged €1,200 by a furniture restorer to have the picture of the Immaculate Conception cleaned. However, the job did not go as planned and the face of the Virgin Mary was left unrecognisable despite two attempts to restore it to its original state.

[video="youtube;F8o1E0iRQHI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8o1E0iRQHI[/video]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
christ, the example on the bottom right looks like either a child or someone high did it :lol:
Art, who can truly define it?

(Maybe hire someone who works with paintings and not friggin chairs next time)
Dw I doubt Mary would have looked like that considering she would have been Middle Eastern.
Yes, the artwork reflects our European culture.
Unfortunately in Spain anyone can call themselves a painting or furniture restorer even if they don't have any talent at all, always best there (and here) to see other work they have done for others before employing them.
Reply 6
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Dw I doubt Mary would have looked like that considering she would have been Middle Eastern.

You do know there were Europeans and those of European extraction in the middle east at that time right? :rolleyes:
Original post by Napp
You do know there were Europeans and those of European extraction in the middle east at that time right? :rolleyes:
source?
Reply 8
source?

Please dear god say you're trolling.
Have you never read the bible? A people called the Romans feature quite prominently, i can tell you this, they're not from the ME :wink:. Never mind a thing called a 'boat' has existed for quite some time.
Original post by Napp
Please dear god say you're trolling.
Have you never read the bible? A people called the Romans feature quite prominently, i can tell you this, they're not from the ME :wink:. Never mind a thing called a 'boat' has existed for quite some time.

Have I never read the bible? I’m not religious so why would I? You’re ignorant AF.. you do know the bible is not a book of facts right? Hilarious, I ask for a source of truth and you point me to the bible lmao.. gotta be w troll.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Have I never read the bible? I’m not religious so why would I? You’re ignorant AF.. you do know the bible is not a book of facts right? Hilarious, I ask for a source of truth and you point me to the bible lmao.. gotta be w troll.

Lol you need to calm down a bit dear :lol:
Yes, i'm the ignorant one :rolleyes: Remind me who doesnt know what the ancient Roman or Greek Empires were? :wink:. Nice try though.
Original post by Napp
Lol you need to calm down a bit dear :lol:
Yes, i'm the ignorant one :rolleyes: Remind me who doesnt know what the ancient Roman or Greek Empires were? :wink:. Nice try though.

Seriously you just made out the bible was a factual book and seemed shocked someone has not read it.. yes you’re ignorant, what else do you call it?
Reply 12
Seriously you just made out the bible was a factual book and seemed shocked someone has not read it.. yes you’re ignorant, what else do you call it?

No i made out that you not knowing who the Romans were and when they were in, shock horror, the Middle East was patently moronic :smile:
Well i call it you not knowing what the word means :lol:

Dear sir, the Romans have been in jerusalem is not something you need the bible to tell you. Its history
Original post by Napp
No i made out that you not knowing who the Romans were and when they were in, shock horror, the Middle East was patently moronic :smile:
Well i call it you not knowing what the word means :lol:

Nope you asked if I read the bible.. that was your first sentence.
Reply 15
Nope you asked if I read the bible.. that was your first sentence.

It's rather depressing i need to explain this to you. You claimed Mary could not have possibly been white, i had to tell you Europeans have indeed been to the ME, you (for some bizarre reason) asked for 'proof' of this.. seeing as we're talking about a biblical figure the bible would appear to be a nice pertinent example of this.

Then again if you don't know whom the Romans were to start with, well.

Made claims about figures in The Bible
Hasn't actually read The Bible
Doesn't even know basic history
Calls others ignorant

Original post by DiddyDec
Made claims about figures in The Bible
Hasn't actually read The Bible
Doesn't even know basic history
Calls others ignorant

Ignorant to think Mary only exists in the Bible pahahaha
Ignorant to think Mary only exists in the Bible pahahaha