The Student Room Group

RAC Black box insurance

I’ve had a really good quote for RAC Car insurance but I’m a bit worried about how strict the black box will be. They say that if you get issued with three warnings they could cancel the policy!! Just wondered if any of you guys have ever used them and what did you think...

Scroll to see replies

My insurance is with them. I’ve had no problems whatsoever. The black box isn’t that strict at all either, it seems to allow for going a bit over the limit. As long as you’re not being silly with it then it’s all good :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MusicGamer
My insurance is with them. I’ve had no problems whatsoever. The black box isn’t that strict at all either, it seems to allow for going a bit over the limit. As long as you’re not being silly with it then it’s all good :smile:

That’s reassuring to hear. So many people seem to have problems with black boxes, it’s made me be concerned. I’d read that they can just cancel your insurance if you get three warnings or cancel it outright if you go a lot over the limit. Have you had any problems with your driver score for using the car later in the evening?
Original post by Maxxxine
That’s reassuring to hear. So many people seem to have problems with black boxes, it’s made me be concerned. I’d read that they can just cancel your insurance if you get three warnings or cancel it outright if you go a lot over the limit. Have you had any problems with your driver score for using the car later in the evening?

Nope. I’ve not been penalised for driving later. I’ve driven frequently around 2am and had no trouble whatsoever.
Reply 4
Nope. I’ve not been penalised for driving later. I’ve driven frequently around 2am and had no trouble whatsoever.

That’s good to hear! Maybe I’m worrying too much but I’d hate to think that my insurance could get cancelled. Previous insurance didn’t have a box, so it’ll be weird having a box checking up on me! But price counts and their quote is really good! So... 🤞🤞🤞
Reply 5
I’ve had a really good quote for RAC Car insurance but I’m a bit worried about how strict the black box will be. They say that if you get issued with three warnings they could cancel the policy!! Just wondered if any of you guys have ever used them and what did you think...

Just don't get a box....
Personally don't think no matter what company you go with a box is just awful, its just a thing thats constantly on your mind before driving/ while driving/ after driving as you want to check your score, always worried after someone pulls out or brake checks you as the box will never be able to understand why you took the action you did and just assumes you can't drive, for example if you're driving along and someone pulls out and you have to brake harsh do you think the box wont mark you down and tick it off as not your fault lol? i had one with hastings smartmiles and was awful.

If it will massively lower your insurance and you can't fork out a little more for no box then get one but just be careful as its no secret they're not accurate and hear it all the time about companies just cancelling peoples insurance leaving them spending £5k just to get insured again on a 1.0.
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
Just don't get a box....

Why do you say that, have you had a bad experience? This is what worries me. I’m trying to balance saving a lot of money with thinking I’ll get into trouble with the box.
Reply 8
Why do you say that, have you had a bad experience? This is what worries me. I’m trying to balance saving a lot of money with thinking I’ll get into trouble with the box.

Search the forum - thousands upon thousands of threads on the matter.

Would you like to be another statistic on the list?
Reply 9
Original post by Nick6501
Personally don't think no matter what company you go with a box is just awful, its just a thing thats constantly on your mind before driving/ while driving/ after driving as you want to check your score, always worried after someone pulls out or brake checks you as the box will never be able to understand why you took the action you did and just assumes you can't drive, for example if you're driving along and someone pulls out and you have to brake harsh do you think the box wont mark you down and tick it off as not your fault lol? i had one with hastings smartmiles and was awful.

If it will massively lower your insurance and you can't fork out a little more for no box then get one but just be careful as its no secret they're not accurate and hear it all the time about companies just cancelling peoples insurance leaving them spending £5k just to get insured again on a 1.0.

Thanks, you’ve kinda confirmed my fears but you’re spot on about the cost thing... it is sooo much cheaper. Think I’ll probs have to suffer it and just try and avoid getting penalised/worse still insurance cancelled 😳😳
Thanks, you’ve kinda confirmed my fears but you’re spot on about the cost thing... it is sooo much cheaper. Think I’ll probs have to suffer it and just try and avoid getting penalised/worse still insurance cancelled 😳😳

I think my first car (1.0 corsa) was £985 with a box or like £2600 without so its a massive difference but i can't lie it was a nightmare for me atleast and it got to the point where my parents would have to force me to drive because i hated driving while with a box, i would just try to avoid driving as much as possible which might be hard for some but you're less likely to get into bother than someone who goes out everyday in it doing a lot of miles, mine also had a certain time to be in which was 10pm so i couldn't even drive it to work or anything, had to quickly respond to a family member emergency at like 11.30pm and i got marked down 25 points just for being out past 10pm for 10 min but i'm not sure about RAC.

I'm looking at quotes for an audi A3 and with a box i can get one for £1900 or without £2300 so its still a difference but definitely wont be getting one again and i forgot to mention but make sure they install it properly as mine killed my battery constantly and had to push start it and battery charge it 24.7, once box got removed and charged it the battery never had issues again so watch for that.

Enjoy :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Nick6501
mine also had a certain time to be in which was 10pm so i couldn't even drive it to work or anything, had to quickly respond to a family member emergency at like 11.30pm and i got marked down 25 points just for being out past 10pm for 10 min but i'm not sure about RAC.

Enjoy :biggrin:

Thanks for confirming all my worst fears, but like you, because of the price I’ve not really got an alternative. Thanks too for your wicked sense of humour... ‘Enjoy :biggrin:
I'm using one atm. Just don't drive like a t**t. Keep within limits and brake slowly. You get given a score every week. It may go down here and there, but you can improve your score by seeing where you are going wrong.
I'm not the most confident of drivers, but it's fine. Try to avoid night driving, but you CAN do it. I drive at 5am for work, it shows on my score, but it's not a huge issue. My score is still over 90%, even with faults on other things.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by EmCharles
I'm using one atm. Just don't drive like a t**t. Keep within limits and brake slowly. You get given a score every week. It may go down here and there, but you can improve your score by seeing where you are going wrong.
I'm not the most confident of drivers, but it's fine. Try to avoid night driving, but you CAN do it. I drive at 5am for work, it shows on my score, but it's not a huge issue. My score is still over 90%, even with faults on other things.

Thanks Em, that’s better news! I’m just worried that I’ll get warnings or worse still get cancelled! Are you with RAC or is yours one of the others?
That’s good to hear! Maybe I’m worrying too much but I’d hate to think that my insurance could get cancelled. Previous insurance didn’t have a box, so it’ll be weird having a box checking up on me! But price counts and their quote is really good! So... 🤞🤞🤞

I don’t even think about the black box in my car anymore, I kind of forget it’s there tbh! You just get used to it. RAC are fairly lenient as well. For a while my braking score was like 35% (I blame my brother personally 😂), and my driver score went down to 70% and I didn’t get any warnings at all, so yeah, quite lenient :smile:
Like a lot of others, I just wouldn't go near them, if i couldn't afford insurance without one, i'd reconsider driving tbh

The fact that they can cancel you for pretty much anything anytime is the whole problem. You'll find plenty of newish users giving good reviews saying they've had no problems....right until the day the cancellation pops up from nowhere and suddenly all they have is problems. Above ALL ELSE, an insurance company's goal is to cover their own ass and find excuses to not pay out..a black box is a hilarious excuse generating toy for them.

I stay near a high immigration/refugee area, and I mention that because of the huge mess of driver and pedestrian habits it results in, I need to emergency stop/jink quite regular and any black box policy would have a field day with that.
Reply 16
I don’t even think about the black box in my car anymore, I kind of forget it’s there tbh! You just get used to it. RAC are fairly lenient as well. For a while my braking score was like 35% (I blame my brother personally 😂), and my driver score went down to 70% and I didn’t get any warnings at all, so yeah, quite lenient :smile:

Thanks, that’s really good to hear, the price difference pretty much means I’ve got to have it. Not sure I’ll be able to forget I’ve got it, especially as their stuff says about how the box is fitted to monitor my driving etc. Because I’ve driven before but without a box, this is a bit like being at uni and then having to go back to school 🤣🤣🤣
Reply 17
Original post by StriderHort
Like a lot of others, I just wouldn't go near them, if i couldn't afford insurance without one, i'd reconsider driving tbh

The fact that they can cancel you for pretty much anything anytime is the whole problem. You'll find plenty of newish users giving good reviews saying they've had no problems....right until the day the cancellation pops up from nowhere and suddenly all they have is problems. Above ALL ELSE, an insurance company's goal is to cover their own ass and find excuses to not pay out..a black box is a hilarious excuse generating toy for them.

I stay near a high immigration/refugee area, and I mention that because of the huge mess of driver and pedestrian habits it results in, I need to emergency stop/jink quite regular and any black box policy would have a field day with that.

I see what your saying, but I need my little car so don’t have much choice.
Reply 18
I see what your saying, but I need my little car so don’t have much choice.

With respect, if you cannot afford the difference in price, how would you afford say.. a major repair to your vehicle?

I would recommend considering alternative vehicles - it is often the case that you can obtain non telematics insurance for a reasonable price simply by finding a less riskier car for your circumstances.
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom
With respect, if you cannot afford the difference in price, how would you afford say.. a major repair to your vehicle?

I would recommend considering alternative vehicles - it is often the case that you can obtain non telematics insurance for a reasonable price simply by finding a less riskier car for your circumstances.

Tbh my car is 1.0 as cheap to run tax and insure as you can get! Obviously find money for repairs, but can’t justify the extra on the insurance. Hope I’m right 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest