The Student Room Group

I need help! University English language requirements!

So basically I was classified as a foreign student initially at a Uni I applied for. I gave them proof that I am not a foreign student and my fee status was changed to Home student and that I have to pay 9k and not 20k+ lol.

But they didnt change the fact that I have to sit the English Language tests. I got a 4 in English Language GCSE and they needed a 6. But on the same page it is written that citizens of a few countries (they have provided the list) would not need to fulfill the requirements. I have been asked to fulfill the requirements for band B and D.

I asked them and they told me that I got a 4 and not a 6. What do I do?

Heres the link: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/english-language

Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Some universities ask for a grade 6 in English Language for UK students anyway. Ask them only they can answer this.
Original post by swanseajack1
Some universities ask for a grade 6 in English Language for UK students anyway. Ask them only they can answer this.

But did you look at whats written at the end of the page? What does that mean then?
Original post by bored_user:)
But did you look at whats written at the end of the page? What does that mean then?

Are you referring to this bit?

“Nationals of the following countries, who have successfully completed high school in the respective country, are not required to complete an additional English language test.”

It’s stating that residents of those countries don’t need to have a stand-alone English test, (like an IELTS or TOEFL), but it doesn’t necessarily exempt them if their English grade is too low.

As above, you need to check with them whether your GCSE Eng grade is acceptable or whether they are still expecting you to provide an English test.
Original post by Admit-One
Are you referring to this bit?

“Nationals of the following countries, who have successfully completed high school in the respective country, are not required to complete an additional English language test.”

It’s stating that residents of those countries don’t need to have a stand-alone English test, (like an IELTS or TOEFL), but it doesn’t necessarily exempt them if their English grade is too low.

As above, you need to check with them whether your GCSE Eng grade is acceptable or whether they are still expecting you to provide an English test.

I did successfully complete High school in the UK and this has been proved. And yes I was referring to that bit
I did successfully complete High school in the UK and this has been proved. And yes I was referring to that bit

Then contact them to double check if anything has changed following your fee reassessment.

The ‘nationals’ section I quoted above is only referring to whether you automatically need to sit a SELT or not, I suspect you still need to meet the minimum English grade for the course.
Then contact them to double check if anything has changed following your fee reassessment.

The ‘nationals’ section I quoted above is only referring to whether you automatically need to sit a SELT or not, I suspect you still need to meet the minimum English grade for the course.

Ok so I need to sit IELTS.

Would it be a problem if I sat it in another country? I am not in the UK as of now

As already said that relates to Ielts which you dont have to sit. The English Language grade 6 is a requirement for UK students in some universities just like grade 6 in Maths is sometimes a requirement for Science or Mathematical based courses in many university. What subject is this for. Does it say this on the prospectus. I have taken this from Kings
GCSE English Language
Grade B or 6
Ok so I need to sit IELTS.

Would it be a problem if I sat it in another country? I am not in the UK as of now

You can sit an IELTS at any test centre, the results are valid from anywhere.
As already said that relates to Ielts which you dont have to sit. The English Language grade 6 is a requirement for UK students in some universities just like grade 6 in Maths is sometimes a requirement for Science or Mathematical based courses in many university. What subject is this for. Does it say this on the prospectus. I have taken this from Kings
GCSE English Language
Grade B or 6

Its for Physics.

And that said, I have a 4 in English lang GCSE which is a C. But I cant sit GCSEs now can I? There are no exams before the deadline (31st of July). So I need to sit IELTS right?
You can sit an IELTS at any test centre, the results are valid from anywhere.

Ok. Thats cool I will do that. But will they want to change my fee status back again?
Ok. Thats cool I will do that. But will they want to change my fee status back again?

No, you’re allowed to leave the country :smile:
No, you’re allowed to leave the country :smile:

But what if it has been a few months? (Its less than 6 months as of now)
The entry requirements for Physics for UK students show you need to have grade 6 or B in English Language GCSE so you dont meet the entry requirements and it is highly unlikely you will get in without it. Try contacting Kings to see what they say. The likelyhood is rejection so look elsewhere.
Band D
Which programmes?
This band applies to all programmes within:
Biomedical Sciences
Department of Anatomy
Department of Biochemistry
Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Department of Physiology
Molecular Genetics
Faculty of Natural & Mathematical Sciences
Neuroscience
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience
Nursing Studies (for qualified healthcare professionals) BSc
Dental Therapy & Hygiene BSc

Please read all of the below information carefully as there are a wide range of English language tests we can accept to meet our English language requirements.

GCSE English Language
Grade B or 6
The entry requirements for Physics for UK students show you need to have grade 6 or B in English Language GCSE so you dont meet the entry requirements and it is highly unlikely you will get in without it. Try contacting Kings to see what they say. The likelyhood is rejection so look elsewhere.
Band D
Which programmes?
This band applies to all programmes within:
Biomedical Sciences
Department of Anatomy
Department of Biochemistry
Department of Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Department of Physiology
Molecular Genetics
Faculty of Natural & Mathematical Sciences
Neuroscience
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology & Neuroscience
Nursing Studies (for qualified healthcare professionals) BSc
Dental Therapy & Hygiene BSc

Please read all of the below information carefully as there are a wide range of English language tests we can accept to meet our English language requirements.

GCSE English Language
Grade B or 6

I have an offer already which I firmed... so I dont think I have been rejected already... and telling me to look elsewhere is quite insensitive considering how much I want to attend this uni which is why I put up this thread consulting people... it shows how much it means to me

And should I sit IELTS? Thank you
I have an offer already which I firmed... so I dont think I have been rejected already... and telling me to look elsewhere is quite insensitive considering how much I want to attend this uni which is why I put up this thread consulting people... it shows how much it means to me

And should I sit IELTS? Thank you

Sometimes the truth hurts and the reality is that where there is a GCSE requirement above 4 or C for a subject the always reject someone who doesnt meet that requirement. I dont know of people who have been accepted over the years especially somewhere like Kings. You dont meet that requirement so it is 99% or higher certain that you will be rejected. Kings have made you an offer to include achieving B or 6 and it doesnt look as though you are going to be able to meet it. As to whether they will accept a set grade in Ielts instead only Kings can answer that. My gut feeling is they wont but contact them for their advice.

My gut feeling is also Kings will reject you on GCSE results day. That is what happens to students in your position every year.

I realise you do not want to hear the truth and instead have someone telling you what you want to hear but that will achieve nothing. You will find out anyway on GCSE results day so it is better to face the facts now.

The problem with waiting for results day is that all the better universities will already have have filled their spaces when students get their A level results a week before and also there is problems with accommodation at that stage especially in London.

I am sorry if you dont like what I have told you but that is the reality you face.

I would suggest you contact Kings urgently to see whether they will forego the GCSE requirement or accept Ielts instead and if they wont as is highly probably look at going elsewhere before results day.
Sometimes the truth hurts and the reality is that where there is a GCSE requirement above 4 or C for a subject the always reject someone who doesnt meet that requirement. I dont know of people who have been accepted over the years especially somewhere like Kings. You dont meet that requirement so it is 99% or higher certain that you will be rejected. Kings have made you an offer to include achieving B or 6 and it doesnt look as though you are going to be able to meet it. As to whether they will accept a set grade in Ielts instead only Kings can answer that. My gut feeling is they wont but contact them for their advice.

My gut feeling is also Kings will reject you on GCSE results day. That is what happens to students in your position every year.

I realise you do not want to hear the truth and instead have someone telling you what you want to hear but that will achieve nothing. You will find out anyway on GCSE results day so it is better to face the facts now.

The problem with waiting for results day is that all the better universities will already have have filled their spaces when students get their A level results a week before and also there is problems with accommodation at that stage especially in London.

I am sorry if you dont like what I have told you but that is the reality you face.

I would suggest you contact Kings urgently to see whether they will forego the GCSE requirement or accept Ielts instead and if they wont as is highly probably look at going elsewhere before results day.

I asked them if the requirements was an error and they told me that I have to sit any English language test from that list.

I am willing to listen to facts. I know the facts. I know that I will be rejected. I want help. Not those same facts being repeated to me.
Telling you the truth and telling you to look elsewhere to somewhere you will get in is good advice even if you dont like it.

I could have told everything is wonderful and Kings will accept you then you find out they wont. Is that helpful.

Quite honestly when you looked at universities GCSE requirements is one of the first things that you should have considered. Also you should have resat your English Language GCSE last year to get a 6.

If you know you will be rejected it is pretty pointless applying somewhere.
Telling you the truth and telling you to look elsewhere to somewhere you will get in is good advice even if you dont like it.

I could have told everything is wonderful and Kings will accept you then you find out they wont. Is that helpful.

Quite honestly when you looked at universities GCSE requirements is one of the first things that you should have considered. Also you should have resat your English Language GCSE last year to get a 6.

If you know you will be rejected it is pretty pointless applying somewhere.

omg what are you on about? ITS NOT JUST GCSES THEY WANT!!! I WAS TOLD I CAN SIT IELTS TOO!!!!

Can you please just leave the post ffs?
omg what are you on about? ITS NOT JUST GCSES THEY WANT!!! I WAS TOLD I CAN SIT IELTS TOO!!!!

Can you please just leave the post ffs?

If you dont want an answer then dont raise the question. You will need a set grade in Ielts. If you dont get that grade you dont get in. When are you taking the Ielts. When will you get the result. You will still be in the same position as I outlined.

Good luck on your future but if all goes wrong just remember you were warned and given good advice.

Quick Reply

Latest