The Student Room Group

Computer Science Without the A-level

Hi guys,
I'm in Year 12 studying Biology,Chemistry and Maths A-levels. I'm considering studying computer science. I've started basic Html coding on FreecCodeAcademy. And it seems alright. Do you think I'll be able to do well given the University degree only requires me to have Maths A-level. Is it hard? Or just hard work?

The reason I like coding is that I want to develop apps and software. Do you think that's a valid reason to pursue the degree?

Any resources or tips you can share would be very much appreciated.
yh, at uni they teach everything from the beginning with the expectations that you don't know anything. Obviously, it would be easier if you understand what was happening in your lectures straight away. You might have to work harder then those who have been coding all their life.

You should definitely apply for it at uni if you feel it's the right course for you.

source : i'm a first year studying cs ( with no prior experience before uni) and is finishing the year with a 1st !
Pretty sure for computer science, the only real subject they need is Maths A Level. This is probably because not every school can offer Computer Science A Level. Also, as long as you show a real interest and maybe some outside projects/learning new skills on your application, you should get offers easily.
Reply 3
Original post by Updating...
yh, at uni they teach everything from the beginning with the expectations that you don't know anything. Obviously, it would be easier if you understand what was happening in your lectures straight away. You might have to work harder then those who have been coding all their life.

You should definitely apply for it at uni if you feel it's the right course for you.

source : i'm a first year studying cs ( with no prior experience before uni) and is finishing the year with a 1st !

Thank you that was really helpful.
Reply 4
Original post by __B__
Pretty sure for computer science, the only real subject they need is Maths A Level. This is probably because not every school can offer Computer Science A Level. Also, as long as you show a real interest and maybe some outside projects/learning new skills on your application, you should get offers easily.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending