The Student Room Group

2 Year Degrees

I am thinking of applying to a 2 year degree programme due to personal reasons. I have already got a place in another university for 3 years, but I don't think I will be able to attend by then. I already took a gap year, so I don't want to wait anymore and want to start asap.

I am applying for Accounting and Finance

Does anyone know about 2 year degree programmes and if they are good programmes? I want to know mostly about employability and recognition of the degrees.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L2000
I am thinking of applying to a 2 year degree programme due to personal reasons. I have already got a place in another university for 3 years, but I don't think I will be able to attend by then. I already took a gap year, so I don't want to wait anymore and want to start asap.

I am applying for Accounting and Finance

Does anyone know about 2 year degree programmes and if they are good programmes? I want to know mostly about employability and recognition of the degrees.

There arent that many. You just have shorter holidays. They are full degrees.
Why cant or dont you want to do a 3 year degree?
I do a 2 year degree. It’s still a qualifying law degree I just do less optional modules and 1 more class per year. (So I had 5 exams in June and the 3 year group had 4)
Adding an extra module per semester means more work but as a nature student used to work I found it fine. I don’t care I can’t do more optional modules.
Overalls it saves me a year of fees and living costs.

Holidays are the same! Exact same terms as everyone else, I just do a second year module in my first year.
(edited 3 years ago)
2 year degrees are still a rarity in the UK- the main university who has been offering them for a while is the University of Buckingham. Other univerisites have started to offer them for some degrees, and I think University of Staffordshire offers them for all degrees.

I'd probably want to go to a uni that had experience of offering them, rather than was just starting to offer them, as I think being in the early years of a new type of program can lead to you experiencing lots of teething problems.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
There arent that many. You just have shorter holidays. They are full degrees.
Why cant or dont you want to do a 3 year degree?

I was supposed to qualify for student loans this summer. But with Covid19 everything has been jammed and there is no guarantee as to if I can qualify by September start date. I would like to do the 3 year degree of course, but along with a lot of reasons, I am 2 years already behind my classmates. Not to mention that the 3 year degree is also from a high ranking university. But afterall since its an accounting degree, I feel that the name of the university will make a huge difference as long as I am able to qualify as a Chartered Accountant a few years after graduating. I really don't want to put behind my studies anymore.
Reply 5
Original post by Catherine1973
I do a 2 year degree. It’s still a qualifying law degree I just do less optional modules and 1 more class per year. (So I had 5 exams in June and the 3 year group had 4)
Adding an extra module per semester means more work but as a nature student used to work I found it fine. I don’t care I can’t do more optional modules.
Overalls it saves me a year of fees and living costs.

Holidays are the same! Exact same terms as everyone else, I just do a second year module in my first year.

I am all for more work because I enjoy continuous work without too much of a gap/holidays.

And I am really interested in the degree because it does save me a lot as you have said, and also being able to graduate quicker. But if you don't mind me asking, how recognised are the 2 year degrees? Are they the same level as a 3/4 year degree? and do employers like them? Also since there is no option for a Sandwich year, is there negativity around this?

I looked at the accredited accounting bodies for 2 year accounting degrees, and it turns out that there aren't a lot of exemptions (I think only 4/5 exemptions from 13 exams), which worries me about the quality of the programme. Whereas the 3 year degree programme that I have been offered gives me 10 exemptions out of the 13.
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
2 year degrees are still a rarity in the UK- the main university who has been offering them for a while is the University of Buckingham. Other univerisites have started to offer them for some degrees, and I think University of Staffordshire offers them for all degrees.

I'd probably want to go to a uni that had experience of offering them, rather than was just starting to offer them, as I think being in the early years of a new type of program can lead to you experiencing lots of teething problems.

I agree that Buckingham seems to be the best out there. I think they've been giving them out for more than 10 years now? So I guess the degrees do work in some way as they have continued them without a lot of problems.
Reply 7
How much is this going to cost you if you cant get government loans? Why not just try for an apprenticeship?
i assume in law, 2 year degrees are just as recognised as 3 year, as long as you do a qualifying one. (and then the reputation of the Universtiy also kicks in). But 20 or so places do 2 year law degrees (for graduates) so its a standard thing (oxford does one for example). I haven't seen them for other subjects so much so it may be different with accounting.
Reply 9
Original post by Catherine1973
i assume in law, 2 year degrees are just as recognised as 3 year, as long as you do a qualifying one. (and then the reputation of the Universtiy also kicks in). But 20 or so places do 2 year law degrees (for graduates) so its a standard thing (oxford does one for example). I haven't seen them for other subjects so much so it may be different with accounting.

Ugh I see. I think I will have to see it with an accountant or the university itself. I am not sure how important the reputation of the university is for Accounting?

Thank you for the reply!!
Check if you'll have less time over summer for gaining work experience - this might be less important for people in some groups (e.g. mature students) than others.

unis usually aren't particularly bothered about waiting a short time for the fees loan if you applied to SFE after the deadline (if that's what you're worried about)
Reply 11
Original post by Joinedup
Check if you'll have less time over summer for gaining work experience - this might be less important for people in some groups (e.g. mature students) than others.

unis usually aren't particularly bothered about waiting a short time for the fees loan if you applied to SFE after the deadline (if that's what you're worried about)

I think I will have to try my best to find work experience over summer and break times.

And it's unfortunately not about the deadline, but immigration. So there's not a lot that can be done.
Reply 12
Original post by ajj2000
How much is this going to cost you if you cant get government loans? Why not just try for an apprenticeship?

I tried and even went for interviews. It's really hard to get into them :frown:

If I go to the 3-year degree, it will cost around 45k. But for the 2 year one, about 21k (in loans). So there is about 24k difference.
Original post by L2000
I tried and even went for interviews. It's really hard to get into them :frown:

If I go to the 3-year degree, it will cost around 45k. But for the 2 year one, about 21k (in loans). So there is about 24k difference.

Ok - but is the 2 year one private or government loans? How long might you have to wait to have indefinite leave to remain? How are you covering living costs?
Hi @L2000
Looks like you are getting some useful advice on this topic.
Just to let you know, your degree certificate will not display the fact that you studied over 2 years rather than 3 years. It will just display your degree title. From a positive point of view, an employer will probably be impressed that you have completed in 2 years as the study is more intense and requires more dedication and self-discipline to complete.

As someone mentioned, we do offer Accounting and Finance 2-Year, so if you wanted any more advice, feel free to contact [email protected]

If it helps, I've included some links to our students talking about their 2-year study experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2npY31DuKz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9BL77lhvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZQo0sLzF4

I hope this helps,

Best wishes, Shaun
Just a thought but if you're specifically interested in becoming an accountant, then there are good, non-degree routes available too.
Reply 16
Original post by L2000
I am all for more work because I enjoy continuous work without too much of a gap/holidays.

And I am really interested in the degree because it does save me a lot as you have said, and also being able to graduate quicker. But if you don't mind me asking, how recognised are the 2 year degrees? Are they the same level as a 3/4 year degree? and do employers like them? Also since there is no option for a Sandwich year, is there negativity around this?

I looked at the accredited accounting bodies for 2 year accounting degrees, and it turns out that there aren't a lot of exemptions (I think only 4/5 exemptions from 13 exams), which worries me about the quality of the programme. Whereas the 3 year degree programme that I have been offered gives me 10 exemptions out of the 13.

First of all, it is pointless trying to compare yourself to others. Do not worry about how ahead other people are because they are living a different life. Focus on yourself.

I chose to do a accelerated Accounting degree (2 year) with BPP University and went in with a similar mindset, although I predominantly chose it because I couldn't get SFE funding for more than 2 years as I had completed 2 years of another degree prior. The final term was a pain and I ended up needing a resit, which in the policy of my uni meant that I entered into the 3rd year and had to pay for a 3rd year.

You may just want to check something like that out at the unis that you are considering. Note that resits in previous terms would have just meant resitting in the following term and possibly playing catch-up. That might be harder to do at some other unis and may also delay the completion of the degree.

In terms of academic rigour, it wasn't too great and neither was the teaching or the admin, possibly because it was still quite a new uni. I liked the actual teaching style however, which was semi-distance learning. We got about 50% exemptions from each of the professional accounting qualifications, which is 8 from the ACA that I am now studying. I think most employers, especially in accounting won't care too much which degree you have to be honest. A possible slight benefit if anything as the style of learning is similar to the accounting qualification exams so you could put that spin on it in an interview and the fact you have exemptions.

The exemptions aspect is a bit gimmicky anyway, so don't let that tell you about the programme quality anything more that the fact that you gain exemptions and the benefits that may or may not bring. There are many normal accounting degrees that don't offer many exemptions, and many low-ranked courses that offer full exemptions. They are fine to go for if that is what you want, but I don't believe many people associate them with quality.
Reply 17
Original post by ajj2000
Ok - but is the 2 year one private or government loans? How long might you have to wait to have indefinite leave to remain? How are you covering living costs?

I can get around £6000 government loans and I can also get maintenance loans, rest I am able to privately fund. For ILR I'm not sure, because Corona has everything jammed. So it can be as short as a few months or more than 6 months. We really dont know. That's why its hard to stay calm as whether I will be starting this September or not. If not I have to apply for January courses.
Reply 18
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @L2000
Looks like you are getting some useful advice on this topic.
Just to let you know, your degree certificate will not display the fact that you studied over 2 years rather than 3 years. It will just display your degree title. From a positive point of view, an employer will probably be impressed that you have completed in 2 years as the study is more intense and requires more dedication and self-discipline to complete.

As someone mentioned, we do offer Accounting and Finance 2-Year, so if you wanted any more advice, feel free to contact [email protected]

If it helps, I've included some links to our students talking about their 2-year study experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2npY31DuKz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9BL77lhvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEZQo0sLzF4

I hope this helps,

Best wishes, Shaun

Thank you so much for this. I will take a look at it! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by RVNmax
First of all, it is pointless trying to compare yourself to others. Do not worry about how ahead other people are because they are living a different life. Focus on yourself.

I chose to do a accelerated Accounting degree (2 year) with BPP University and went in with a similar mindset, although I predominantly chose it because I couldn't get SFE funding for more than 2 years as I had completed 2 years of another degree prior. The final term was a pain and I ended up needing a resit, which in the policy of my uni meant that I entered into the 3rd year and had to pay for a 3rd year.

You may just want to check something like that out at the unis that you are considering. Note that resits in previous terms would have just meant resitting in the following term and possibly playing catch-up. That might be harder to do at some other unis and may also delay the completion of the degree.

In terms of academic rigour, it wasn't too great and neither was the teaching or the admin, possibly because it was still quite a new uni. I liked the actual teaching style however, which was semi-distance learning. We got about 50% exemptions from each of the professional accounting qualifications, which is 8 from the ACA that I am now studying. I think most employers, especially in accounting won't care too much which degree you have to be honest. A possible slight benefit if anything as the style of learning is similar to the accounting qualification exams so you could put that spin on it in an interview and the fact you have exemptions.

The exemptions aspect is a bit gimmicky anyway, so don't let that tell you about the programme quality anything more that the fact that you gain exemptions and the benefits that may or may not bring. There are many normal accounting degrees that don't offer many exemptions, and many low-ranked courses that offer full exemptions. They are fine to go for if that is what you want, but I don't believe many people associate them with quality.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

I completely understand the rigour of the program since its all packed to 2 years. Since you have already finished this kind of degree, would you recommend it to anyone? how did employers view the degree? I also heard that the exemptions depended on the chosen modules, were you able to do this at all?

Since you mentioned it now, have I thought about the resitting possibility, given that its hard work. I am looking at Buckingham and thankfully have someone who did their degree there, although not accounting. I will have to ask them.

Quick Reply

Latest