The Student Room Group

A level help

I'm struggling to choose between doing classical civilisation or philosophy for my 3rd a level. If anyone done both, could you please I've me some advice on what to choose? Thank you :smile:
What are you planning on studying later? What other A levels are you doing?

It's also worth asking your school if you could take both for the first week/month of Y12 so you can try them out in person, or if you can attend a taster lesson or discussion with the teacher who'll be teaching you. Looking at exam papers and syllabi online is also a shout.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by becausethenight
What are you planning on studying later? What other A levels are you doing?

It's also worth asking your school if you could take both for the first week/month of Y12 so you can try them out in person, or if you can attend a taster lesson or discussion with the teacher who'll be teaching you. Looking at exam papers and syllabi online is also a shout.

Good luck :smile:

Hi thanks for replying :smile:
I am planning on doing a physics degree, so I'm taking physics and maths for my other 2 a levels. But, because these are quite heavy subjects, I was still interested in doing an essay based subject to go along with it. I understand that philosophy/classical civilisation don't really 'go' with the other a levels I wanted to do, but they peaked my interest the most.
The college I plan on going to did set up a taster day for my year group, which I was really looking forward to, but because of COVID-19 it was cancelled. Hopefully it will be rescheduled.
Thank you :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Maddie.W
Hi thanks for replying :smile:
I am planning on doing a physics degree, so I'm taking physics and maths for my other 2 a levels. But, because these are quite heavy subjects, I was still interested in doing an essay based subject to go along with it. I understand that philosophy/classical civilisation don't really 'go' with the other a levels I wanted to do, but they peaked my interest the most.
The college I plan on going to did set up a taster day for my year group, which I was really looking forward to, but because of COVID-19 it was cancelled. Hopefully it will be rescheduled.

Interesting, I think that would be a nice combo. Personally I would just wait for the taster day - both philosophy and class civ are fun and it really will be about you and which you enjoy best. Philosophy is possibly more of a natural companion to physics (there's a reason physics and philosophy degrees exist)!
Have you considered Further Maths, as well? It's not required for physics but it's often very helpful.
Reply 5
Interesting, I think that would be a nice combo. Personally I would just wait for the taster day - both philosophy and class civ are fun and it really will be about you and which you enjoy best. Philosophy is possibly more of a natural companion to physics (there's a reason physics and philosophy degrees exist)!
Have you considered Further Maths, as well? It's not required for physics but it's often very helpful.

Yeah, I did really consider taking further maths as an AS level. But a lot of people said I would be over working myself and convinced me out of doing it. I might revisit that though. :smile:
Yeah, I did really consider taking further maths as an AS level. But a lot of people said I would be over working myself and convinced me out of doing it. I might revisit that though. :smile:

It's doable, I think - plus you can always just drop it :biggrin:
Reply 7
It's doable, I think - plus you can always just drop it :biggrin:

Yeah, that is a good point. I am really considering it now. Thank you for all your help :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Yeah, that is a good point. I am really considering it now. Thank you for all your help :smile:

PRSOM :smile:
I'm struggling to choose between doing classical civilisation or philosophy for my 3rd a level. If anyone done both, could you please I've me some advice on what to choose? Thank you :smile:

Hi @Maddie.W!

I took Classics for both GCSE and A Level and I loved it! The content is so interesting and the exams are actually quite enjoyable. I had a few friends who took Philosophy and definitely found it hard (but I believe they did do well in the end). I really couldn't recommend classics enough and if you have any questions about it, please let me know!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @Maddie.W!

I took Classics for both GCSE and A Level and I loved it! The content is so interesting and the exams are actually quite enjoyable. I had a few friends who took Philosophy and definitely found it hard (but I believe they did do well in the end). I really couldn't recommend classics enough and if you have any questions about it, please let me know!

Hi Erin,
thanks for replying :smile:
Classics sounds like a really interesting course. In your opinion, is it more similar to history or english lit?
Hi Erin,
thanks for replying :smile:
Classics sounds like a really interesting course. In your opinion, is it more similar to history or english lit?

Hi @Maddie.W!

I think it's completely different to history and a lot more like english lit. This is as it consists of studying books and plays. I had friends who took both english lit and classics and classics just seemed a lot more chilled if that makes sense and the work load seemed a bit smaller and more enjoyable :smile:

Reply 12
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hi @Maddie.W!

I think it's completely different to history and a lot more like english lit. This is as it consists of studying books and plays. I had friends who took both english lit and classics and classics just seemed a lot more chilled if that makes sense and the work load seemed a bit smaller and more enjoyable :smile:

Hi Erin,
That sounds interesting. What was your favourite part of the course in terms of subject matter?
Hi Erin,
That sounds interesting. What was your favourite part of the course in terms of subject matter?

Hi @Maddie.W!

My favourite part had to be the comedies and tragedies! You will probably learn a few short ones and they are all really funny and entertaining and easy to write about in essays. Learning them almost didn't feel like school :smile: It was kind of a nice fun break from my other subjects.

Have you checked out the A level requirements of a few unis for Physics?

Class Civ may not be highly thought of at some unis...
Philosophy goes well with physics

Quick Reply

Latest