The Student Room Group

Confessions of a Revising Freak - a year 12/13 GYG

I've been really bored recently so I've decided to start a blog about my year 13 journey, my subjects and coursework
Here's a little about me

Hobbies: baking, watching comedy (on TV and live) and doing youth council work
How y11 went: I didn’t do amazing in y11 I did a lot of revision but I don’t think much of it was effective, I was also coming to terms with my disability and transferring between child and adult healthcare so I had a lot on my mind
A-Levels - Sociology (OCR), media studies (WJEC) and an EPQ (AQA)
Career aspirations: I wanna go into some aspect of business, I'm leaning towards project management at the moment
Next steps: I'm trying to get a level 4 apprenticeship in an area of business, if that fails I'm also trying for an HND at Kingston College
Grades: I’m currently at C’s but I want B’s or A’s by the end of year 13

I'm also disabled and have 3 conditions as of so far
Hereditary spas-tic paraplegia (HSP): (Just google HSP there is a link to an NHS site but I can't use it as TSR doesn't like the word spas-tic without a hyphen which I should have thought of)
Ataxia (Mild): https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/ataxia/
Chronic pain (in my feet): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_pain
They only found out my disability last year so I'm just navigating the world of my disability. I know there isn't much detail but feel free to drop me a PM or ask here any (respectful) questions because I'm really open about it all

So nice to meet you all and feel free to message me here or PM me and let me know if you wanna be added or removed from my tag list
Also the foreign text means Hello Friends in whatever language I've stated

Here’s the obligatory tags

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
Good luck @josie71202! :woo:

Thank you
Reply 3
Good luck Josie, you can do this!
Reply 4
My progress so far
I've covered most of my y12 spec barring the dark side of the family (sociology) and newspapers section B (Media studies) I also tried to cover y13 content but I gave up because I was getting really stressed and overworked.

My media coursework details were released recently so I settled on doing a magazine+ associated website on a travel theme and focusing the main article on inter-railing (any tips would be appreciated thanks.

We've had loads of meetings in youth council with the council recently about COVID. Our terms will likely be extended to help schools cope. I'm planning to draft some guides about elections and Make your Mark for candidates in my school in the next few days.

So yeah I'm rather busy and a lot to think about not to mention predicted grades and my last exam of the year next week.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Mosaic4
Good luck Josie, you can do this!

Thank you I'm mildly worried but I'll get there!
Good luck. I’m in!
Reply 7
Original post by Sammylou40
Good luck. I’m in!

thank you
Love this idea, I'll be following the thread :biggrin:
Reply 9
ooooh this seems exiting. Good luck Josie! :biggrin::biggrin:
Good Luck Josie :smile:
Original post by adrewp
ooooh this seems exiting. Good luck Josie! :biggrin::biggrin:

Original post by nathan1403
Love this idea, I'll be following the thread :biggrin:

Original post by AnnaBananana
Good Luck Josie :smile:

thanks guys you're awesome
Hi guys ...
I am currently procrastinating writing stuff for youth council so I thought I'd update you lot while I procrastinate :biggrin:

After my usual routine, I studied and focused on a huge to-do list of revision resources to make. Later I'm gonna schedule those into my calendar because scheduling stuff makes me feel considerably less stressed especially in the current scenario.

I also planned a question for my media end of year test so I planned that out. It's open book with no time limit but apparently it's a large proportion of our predicted grades which seems odd but I'm not gonna argue with getting good predicted grades.

On the health side, I've got an osteopath appointment tomorrow, and a PT appointment on Wednesday along with my neurology appointment next month, which is apparently over the telephone so we'll see how that goes.
All in all, I'm still here and still alive although nervous
Original post by josie71202
Hi guys ...
I am currently procrastinating writing stuff for youth council so I thought I'd update you lot while I procrastinate :biggrin:

After my usual routine, I studied and focused on a huge to-do list of revision resources to make. Later I'm gonna schedule those into my calendar because scheduling stuff makes me feel considerably less stressed especially in the current scenario.

I also planned a question for my media end of year test so I planned that out. It's open book with no time limit but apparently it's a large proportion of our predicted grades which seems odd but I'm not gonna argue with getting good predicted grades.

On the health side, I've got an osteopath appointment tomorrow, and a PT appointment on Wednesday along with my neurology appointment next month, which is apparently over the telephone so we'll see how that goes.
All in all, I'm still here and still alive although nervous

You've been incredibly productive today, well done :biggrin: Predicted grades are a joke tbh but definitely try and get the best you can out of that open book test!
Original post by nathan1403
You've been incredibly productive today, well done :biggrin: Predicted grades are a joke tbh but definitely try and get the best you can out of that open book test!

predicted grades are horrid
I'm baack
I'm currently watching a cool show about castles on Netflix while trying not to get up.

I finished my media exam and handed it in today. I'm not sure how my predicted grades will be but they're no longer in my hands. Now I can focus on my own revision tasks, media summer work and obviously my coursework:colonhash: so I'm a little calmer but not hugely.

After I headed to the osteopath (an osteopath is someone that works on the idea of the joints, muscles, ligaments and connective tissues all have to work together for someone to feel well) who works on my bad back muscles. I used to carry a laptop in and out of school every day through secondary school as it hurts to handwrite. He does a lot of laser on my back and all sorts of stuff which doesn't look like much and some just looks wrong but because of my sensitive nerves, it can overpower my systems and makes me really tired especially in my muscles.

After the osteopath,I went to a local stationers and bought some travel magazines for my coursework. I bought what seems like the two kinds of travel magazines in London. I'll probably analyse those tomorrow, for now, I feel lonely and tired so any tips or friendliness would be awesome thanks
I'm baack
I'm currently watching a cool show about castles on Netflix while trying not to get up.

I finished my media exam and handed it in today. I'm not sure how my predicted grades will be but they're no longer in my hands. Now I can focus on my own revision tasks, media summer work and obviously my coursework:colonhash: so I'm a little calmer but not hugely.

After I headed to the osteopath (an osteopath is someone that works on the idea of the joints, muscles, ligaments and connective tissues all have to work together for someone to feel well) who works on my bad back muscles. I used to carry a laptop in and out of school every day through secondary school as it hurts to handwrite. He does a lot of laser on my back and all sorts of stuff which doesn't look like much and some just looks wrong but because of my sensitive nerves, it can overpower my systems and makes me really tired especially in my muscles.

After the osteopath,I went to a local stationers and bought some travel magazines for my coursework. I bought what seems like the two kinds of travel magazines in London. I'll probably analyse those tomorrow, for now, I feel lonely and tired so any tips or friendliness would be awesome thanks

I’m always here for you josie.
How will you be using the travel mags?

Sad as it is I’ve just been binge watching 90 day fiancé with youngest son. Proper car crash! Makes me feel good. And also have learned that I don’t want my boys to date Americans 😝
Original post by Sammylou40
I’m always here for you josie.
How will you be using the travel mags?

Sad as it is I’ve just been binge watching 90 day fiancé with youngest son. Proper car crash! Makes me feel good. And also have learned that I don’t want my boys to date Americans 😝

gotta analyse bits of the magazines and their associated websites to get ideas for my magazine and website

I've never watched 90 day fiancé but used to watch say yes to the dress with my mum
Reply 18
I'm baack

Sounds like an interesting day Josie :smile:
Did your back feel better after going to the osteo?
Original post by adrewp
Sounds like an interesting day Josie :smile:
Did your back feel better after going to the osteo?

apparently it'll start working tomorrow afternoon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending