The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

While I often take the **** out of Countryfile for being completely off the mark they aren't entirely wrong on this one.

Rural folk do have a tendency to be quite racist often not intentionally it is more out of ignorance. Many don't come across anyone other than white people and can do so all their lives. Many of the people I went to university with had never met someone that wasn't white.

Don't even get them started on gypsies.
(edited 3 years ago)
Fun fact: My mum is racist for giving birth to me. I just so happened to be white when she did.
How's that even controversial? Countryside folk tend to be racist.
Original post by ScrLk0
How's that even controversial? Countryside folk tend to be racist.

There’s a difference between ignorance and racism.
Reply 5
Original post by Occitanie
https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCCountryfile/status/1277277327639154688

What a surprise that the rural parts of a predominantly white demographic nation is predominantly white...

We can’t coerce people of colour to visit or live in the countryside. It’s their choice, and mostly it seems they choose not to go, and that’s not a problem.

They choose not to go because when they do go they suffer ostracisation, marginalisation and abuse. There is a serious problem with nationalism, ethnocentrism and identity politics in this country, amongst large swathes of the native population, both on the left and on the right of the political spectrum. Those on the right are resentful of things that are not native. Those on the left are resentful of all things that are native. It seems like ethnocentrism is inherent to natives in this part of the world, in that no matter what their political affiliation/faith, every solution that they offer to problems in life is ethnocentric.

I used to live in an area that was largely native...over the years most all families natives to this country left. We had one family native to the UK left in our neighbourhood. Before they moved out, the owner came to our house to inform us that she was moving out 'because there were too many *racial slur* living in the area and not enough whites"..She thought we were white, so she was a little too honest. She had made the lives of most minority families on our street a living nightmare. She used to scream at their children, call the police on them when they had guests around and have fights with them over nothing...She was clearly full of hate and resentment towards them. Another time, another neighbour of ours met me at the bus station and began complaining nonstop about how black people and asians have ruined our area. She left not long after this.

On this forum, I often come across comments complaining that London has become mostly made up of minorities thanks to immigration. Whenever I read comments like this, I just laugh. London has not become mostly composed of minorities because of immigration but because of racism. Natives of this country struggle to live with people from other backgrounds due to racism...so they left London and now London is mostly composed of ethnic minorities. Get over your problems with racism and you might see people mixing with you more often, in the countryside and other places, and you mixing with others more often as well. You might just overcome many of the problems that you constantly complain about (writing in third person here..so I'm not referring to anyone in particular). I do not doubt for a second that racism plays a significant role in the countryside being mostly made up of one particular ethnicity.

Just stop alienating yourselves and other people and you will stop seeing these disparities and divisions in society...this goes out to both the left and the right.
(edited 3 years ago)
When I see this kind of brollocks on our national broadcaster I think both that they aren't even trying to hide their agenda any more, and that they are completely out of step with a huge chunk of their audience, probably a majority of them.

But there is an answer to the fact that this overbloatedly expensive metropolitan echo chamber no longer represents our country just the woke elite...

Defund the BBC!
Read the tweet- seeing a place as mainly white or a white environment does not mean automatically thinking it is racist. Though rural areas are often known to be hostile to newcomers, which will mean racist on some occasions.
I dont think its colour that plays a part of it, it's just outsiders in general. Many of these places (including the village I grew up in) dont consider you a local unless your like 10th gen from that village.

I liken it to the bit in Hot Fuzz "Hes not even from around 'ere."
Reply 9
Original post by DiddyDec
While I often take the **** out of Countryfile for being completely off the mark they aren't entirely wrong on this one.

Rural folk do have a tendency to be quite racist often not intentionally it is more out of ignorance. Many don't come across anyone other than white people and can do so all their lives. Many of the people I went to university with had never met someone that wasn't white.

Don't even get them started on gypsies.

Yeah us dumb yokels sure are missing out. I for one don't see how anybody could look at somewhere wonderfully diverse like Bradford or Birmingham or Tower Hamlets or Brixton and not come away thinking, "Yes. That's what we need here."

Jokes aside where I live, whilst it is rural and around 98% white there are a handful of non-whites, mostly Asian, and they fit in and get along relatively well. But you know as well as I do it would be a very different dynamic if large numbers of them started arriving. And why is that most pro-diversity liberals also seem to live in and actively move to areas that are anything but diverse, cities like Brighton and Bristol spring to mind (or indeed many of them move out of the major cities into the countryside? They almost never move to those afformentioned areas that are increasingly majority non-white. Why is that?
(edited 3 years ago)
They're actually right on this one.
Among BAME people, there's a certain reservedness for anything percieved as white, due to historic racism. Another example: the word bounty/coconut.
Reply 11

What a surprise that the rural parts of a predominantly white demographic nation is predominantly white...

We can’t coerce people of colour to visit or live in the countryside. It’s their choice, and mostly it seems they choose not to go, and that’s not a problem.

You put the word racist in quotes in the title, so where is the word racist quoted by Countryfile?

As someone who lives in the countryside and isn't white, I haven't experienced any overt racism in my 17 years of living here (I did, however, experience it once when I went to a nearby town). Still, from my experience, it's minimal or it's subtle enough to go over my head. I know everyone's experience will be different, and I can't speak for all rural areas, but like people are saying on here, it's ignorance more than anything.
Ah yes, home to the Conservative voters
Reply 14
It's a pretty obvious fact that wealthy people pay more to not have to live near minorities.
Reply 15
Original post by Wōden
Yeah us dumb yokels sure are missing out. I for one don't see how anybody could look at somewhere wonderfully diverse like Bradford or Birmingham or Tower Hamlets or Brixton and not come away thinking, "Yes. That's what we need here."

Jokes aside where I live, whilst it is rural and around 98% white there are a handful of non-whites, mostly Asian, and they fit in and get along relatively well. But you know as well as I do it would be a very different dynamic if large numbers of them started arriving. And why is that most pro-diversity liberals also seem to live in and actively move to areas that are anything but diverse, cities like Brighton and Bristol spring to mind (or indeed many of them move out of the major cities into the countryside? They almost never move to those afformentioned areas that are increasingly majority non-white. Why is that?

I’m white and live in Bradford, it’s not as bad as people (that have mostly never even visited) make it out to be, and yes, places like Bradford and Birmingham that have a large population of working class immigrants, are needed. It’s these areas that hold valuable workers that this country heavily relies on. Tbh, from your comment, you’re only proving Countyfiles’ claims further. Maybe not racist, but ignorant
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
Ah yes, home to the Conservative voters

Everywhere is home of the Conservative voters now, from rolling green pastures to post industrial northern ****holes.
Reply 17
'ethnics see the countryside as a white environment' - no **** it's a white country :rolleyes: Equally, its entirely their choice if they want to live in the inner city.
I will grant country folk arent generally too welcoming to inner city types coming into their villages though but that tends to less be to do with race and more they don't want city baggage being imported. and of course they also don't want more houses built NIMBY and all.

This does rather echo of the *******ising of Midsomer Murders where they decided to make it more "inclusive" by putting a few token minorities in it. I'm not sure if those in power know this but the show was entirely representative before hand :lol:
Reply 18
Original post by Jonako6
It's a pretty obvious fact that wealthy people pay more to not have to live near minorities.

What makes you think everyone in the countryside is wealthy? :lol:
Reply 19
Original post by Daveological
They're actually right on this one.
Among BAME people, there's a certain reservedness for anything percieved as white, due to historic racism. Another example: the word bounty/coconut.

How is the countryside in inherrently 'racist' historical or otherwise though?

As in the chooclate bar?
Also, coconut tends to be used by ethnics to describe each other more than by whites lol (although an exception can be made about islanders who seem to have that word lobbed at them)

Latest

Trending

Trending