The Student Room Group

I keep getting 2:2s, am I too stupid for University?

Hi, so I've just finished year 2 of University. Simply put, I am an incredibly average student. I've never received a 1st and overall, average at a 2:2 mark. Am I too stupid for third year? Do I even have a shot at a 2:1 dissertation? Because my course is full of the smartest people, I struggle massively with self confidence and wonder what to do. Has anyone else found this? Or am I the only one? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

if this is Cambridge it's understandable
I doubt you're too stupid. You're probably not giving the markers what they want though. Technique is as important as knowledge and content.
Original post by bt13579
Hi, so I've just finished year 2 of University. Simply put, I am an incredibly average student. I've never received a 1st and overall, average at a 2:2 mark. Am I too stupid for third year? Do I even have a shot at a 2:1 dissertation? Because my course is full of the smartest people, I struggle massively with self confidence and wonder what to do. Has anyone else found this? Or am I the only one? Thank you.

No, you are no too stupid for your degree. As TigerRoll said, it may just be you're not hitting the points the markers wanted to see. One way of trying to (from my experience) of increasing your marks or techniques, is going through all the work you've had marked. (I have no idea of what you study, so this may be impractical if it's a right/wrong type of degree, i.e. maths etc.).And noting down what you could improve, you may see a theme emerge or something that you are consistently missing. Also, take notice of what the markers have said you've done well in because that also counts.
As for whether you get a 2.1 in your dissertation who knows - a peer of mine got a lot of 2.2 and a few 2.1's and got their first-ever 1st in their diss; it is entirely possible.
:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by oliviamkc
No, you are no too stupid for your degree. As TigerRoll said, it may just be you're not hitting the points the markers wanted to see. One way of trying to (from my experience) of increasing your marks or techniques, is going through all the work you've had marked. (I have no idea of what you study, so this may be impractical if it's a right/wrong type of degree, i.e. maths etc.).And noting down what you could improve, you may see a theme emerge or something that you are consistently missing. Also, take notice of what the markers have said you've done well in because that also counts.
As for whether you get a 2.1 in your dissertation who knows - a peer of mine got a lot of 2.2 and a few 2.1's and got their first-ever 1st in their diss; it is entirely possible.
:smile:

Thank you so much for the response. I'm at the Uni of Brighton and study English lang. Your advice is super helpful, I'll give it a go!
Reply 5
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
if this is Cambridge it's understandable

Brighton Uni
never give up .
Original post by bt13579

Not getting a first ≠ 'stupid'. Not everyone will end up with a I class degree, but that doesn't mean that you haven't achieved anything. You must stop comparing yourself with other people, and look at your achievement.

It's perfectly possible to get a 2i in a dissertation still. Have you worked through your feedback on essays and other coursework/assessments to see if there is anything that keeps cropping up that you could improve on? Do you speak to your lecturers/markers about feedback if you're unsure about it, or how to improve your work generally.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
Not getting a first ≠ 'stupid'. Not everyone will end up with a I class degree, but that doesn't mean that you haven't achieved anything. You must stop comparing yourself with other people, and look at your achievement.

It's perfectly possible to get a 2i in a dissertation still. Have you worked through your feedback on essays and other coursework/assessments to see if there is anything that keeps cropping up that you could improve on? Do you speak to your lecturers/markers about feedback if you're unsure about it, or how to improve your work generally.

Thank you so so much. I will be working through my feedback, making notes and emailing my lecturers. Thank you again!
Original post by bt13579
Thank you so so much. I will be working through my feedback, making notes and emailing my lecturers. Thank you again!

You're welcome :smile: Try to stay positive and think of your own successes and development; not that of other people in your cohort. Good luck!
Reply 10
Far from stupid because clearly you're getting 2.2's!

2.2 = Second Class Degree (2nd Div.)

So you clearly aren't thick.

Are you giving the markers what they want for a 2.1 or First? .... Certainly not.

What you need to do is have an open and frank conversation with your lecturer/course convenor about what they are looking for and what you are presenting to them. Try and source out a study guide while you look at the mark scheme for your module.

It should set out clearly what they want in a grid from clarity of thought to structure/content etc.
I got 54/55% in first year and second year and am gonna graduate with an overall 2:1 once results day finally rolls around. Be smart about your technique and you'll be able to pull yourself up. I did a stem degree not a humanities though so idk how much relevance there is.
Original post by bt13579

Hi @bt13579!

You're definitely not too stupid for Uni. I really recommend going over the feedback from your previous assignments and see if you can notice any common themes. It might be good if you could book an online meeting with a personal tutor to show them the work you were most disappointed by and seeing what they can identify. It might be good as well to speak to them about your dissertation concerns.

I hope this helps!

Erin - Official Student Rep :smile:
Like everyone pointed out you're not stupid. And yes I agree about the feedback. You won't believe it but my first ever coursework piece I got 30% (year 1, semester 1) I knew what I had done wrong/my mistake, eg not properly refrencing. Then in my year 1 semester 2 essay assignment I nearly got 100%. So yes definitely reflecting on feedback is most important, and ask your marker what you've done wrong also. :smile:
Original post by bt13579

I did German & History (first time round at uni) and pulled my grade up from a 2:2 in 2nd year to a 2:1 in final year which evened out to a 2:1 (just about) overall. It was a mix of enjoying modules more that year and actually understanding what was expected slightly more.
In addition to looking back at feedback on previous assignments, get hold of mark schemes/learning outcomes for each module/assignment. They should be available to you. If information for one assignment says you need to achieve learning outcomes 1,3 and 4 and the other for that module you need to achieve learning outcomes 2,3 and 5, what do those learning outcomes say you need to demonstrate/achieve and have you done that? (and ask your lecturers if it doesn't make sense!)
Pulling that grade up is doable. Keep going and good luck.
If you can get past second year you are certainly not too stupid for uni. My biggest recommendation is to get as much contact time with lecturers and tutors as possible, visit them during office hours to get feedback on drafts if you can.
You are not too stupid for university!
Universities often grade people in very linear ways especially when there is exams.
Your learning style may just be that you don’t suit studying or completing work to the way the university and lectures require... this just means you learn diferrent as is not something to be ashamed of!

A degree is still a degree; and it shows dedication and commitment aswel as resilience and a passion for continuing to work to reach your goals!

Top tips to help boost your grade or your confidence could be:
- write down what works for you when studying (what you enjoy/don’t enjoy/ tips and techniques you have for helping you).
- have a word with your lecturer or tutor about your work to see what you could improve on and ask them for regular check in sessions
- dedicate some study time every day/afew times a week to study and get into a routine that works for you

Above all... you are not stupid and have all the potential in the world! Your future is bright so keep on pushing forward and you will do fab :smile:
Original post by Xarao
You're not an average student, you're below that.

Please Be kind!
Reply 18
Original post by ClaudiaVan
Please Be kind!

I never said anything wrong though? He assumed average students are those who achieve 2:2, when in reality it's those who achieve a 2:1.
Original post by Xarao
I never said anything wrong though? He assumed average students are those who achieve 2:2, when in reality it's those who achieve a 2:1.

Fair enough! Just thought it was said in a rude way (just me and my awkward autism sometimes eek)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending