The Student Room Group

Anti depressants

Hi guys I’ve been on venlafaxine anti depressants for two weeks now to fight my anxiety & depression but I’m finding that my anxiety & depression feels worse so far, is this meant to happen? And when will it get better, thanks.
In my experience you need to give it a little more time maybe speak to your dr about it
Yeah it takes around 4-6 weeks before you feel the benefit of anti-depressants. Hang in there!
I’ve been prescribed that too 2 days ago. It takes 4-6 weeks to see full affect and it may get worse before it becomes good. Be patient, I know it’s hard.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies, good to know it should get better, I’ve been really bad this last 3 days, my anxiety & depression feels really strong, it’s making it difficult to be productive at all
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the replies, good to know it should get better, I’ve been really bad this last 3 days, my anxiety & depression feels really strong, it’s making it difficult to be productive at all

Been there! The simplest of tasks seems impossible. Keep talking to people, being around people, walking with a podcast or music (always helps) and resist day time naps at all costs! You’ll feel better soon, you can get through this 💪🏼
Did they warn you that they may make your depression and anxiety worse for the first few weeks? Some antidepressants have this effect.
Reply 7
Original post by Samstrange
Been there! The simplest of tasks seems impossible. Keep talking to people, being around people, walking with a podcast or music (always helps) and resist day time naps at all costs! You’ll feel better soon, you can get through this 💪🏼

Thank you, yeah it’s very tough, it’s like I almost feel unwell like I need to stay in bed. I will avoid daytime naps, I notice when I wake up in the morning I feel lowest, I’m finding it tough to eat but forcing myself too. Thank you for the support 👍
Reply 8
Did they warn you that they may make your depression and anxiety worse for the first few weeks? Some antidepressants have this effect.

He briefly mentioned it could make me feel worse before getting better but I didn’t think it would be this bad, my anxiety has been through the roof. Guess I need to stick with it though just hope it gets better.
Thank you, yeah it’s very tough, it’s like I almost feel unwell like I need to stay in bed. I will avoid daytime naps, I notice when I wake up in the morning I feel lowest, I’m finding it tough to eat but forcing myself too. Thank you for the support 👍

Anytime! It’s a hard thing to talk about because unless you’ve went through it, it’s quite hard to relate to. Do you think the pandemic is the cause?
If it's that bad, go back and ask for a different one. There are like 20 you could try so if you're feeling really, really terrible you don't need to put up with it. But yes, some degree of feeling worse can happen in the beginning.
Anytime! It’s a hard thing to talk about because unless you’ve went through it, it’s quite hard to relate to. Do you think the pandemic is the cause?

I’ve struggled with mental health issues for years, I thought I got better and stopped taking tablets late last year but I obviously struggle without the AD tablets. I think the pandemic certainly didn’t help but I was struggling from about Feb/March and tried to just carry on but it got too bad.
Hi guys I’ve been on venlafaxine anti depressants for two weeks now to fight my anxiety & depression but I’m finding that my anxiety & depression feels worse so far, is this meant to happen? And when will it get better, thanks.

A SNRI like venlafaxine can take 4-6 weeks before it becomes effective, so hang on in there :smile: It's also something you mustn't stop taking suddenly, or reduce the dose quickly.

Are you in secondary care, or is this through your GP? I presume you've had a different antidepressant already, as venlafaxine isn't a usual first-line treatment.
I’ve struggled with mental health issues for years, I thought I got better and stopped taking tablets late last year but I obviously struggle without the AD tablets. I think the pandemic certainly didn’t help but I was struggling from about Feb/March and tried to just carry on but it got too bad.

Yeah that always happened to me. I would be happy then 6 months later I would get the dreaded early signs and symptoms and that alone is horrible when you know what is coming. I personally opted against anti depressants. They were only making me feel worse, even after a long time. CBT is good and self help like apps and podcasts
Original post by Reality Check
A SNRI like venlafaxine can take 4-6 weeks before it becomes effective, so hang on in there :smile: It's also something you mustn't stop taking suddenly, or reduce the dose quickly.

Are you in secondary care, or is this through your GP? I presume you've had a different antidepressant already, as venlafaxine isn't a usual first-line treatment.

Is through my GP, yeah I’ve been on citalopram before, I think it helped a bit to be honest, my doctor wanted to try this venlafaxine one which has prolonged release.
Yeah that always happened to me. I would be happy then 6 months later I would get the dreaded early signs and symptoms and that alone is horrible when you know what is coming. I personally opted against anti depressants. They were only making me feel worse, even after a long time. CBT is good and self help like apps and podcasts

Yeah I know what you mean, you get those signs and try to ignore them or fight it but in my case my anxiety became unbearable. I think I will speak to my doctor about CBT or therapy, I have Sanvello app but don’t use it much because I feel so fatigued and lazy.
Is through my GP, yeah I’ve been on citalopram before, I think it helped a bit to be honest, my doctor wanted to try this venlafaxine one which has prolonged release.

Fair enough. It's a little bit unusual to go straight onto something like venlafaxine without trying another SSRI after citalopram, but I'm obviously not your GP and don't know your history so aren't in any place to criticise their decision. :smile:
Keep going with them - and do go back to them if you have any side-effects or other worries with your medication.

Quick Reply

Latest