The Student Room Group

Academic Appeals

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JohnPhillips234
Clearly they will have to care as to what other universities did because those universities are more credible than them. Therefore my university needs to aspire to get to their level and u can only do that by implementing the same principles as to what those other universities are doing. Otherwise from a university perpsective that is not a good enough reason to not provide the relevant details of what to do/dont do in an open book exam😛

No. What another institution has as a procedure is of little bearing. Surprised your super-experienced supervisor doesn't know this when I, as a lowly ECR, do

Academic standards apply at all times regardless of open book or not. It is that simple. It would be laughed out the door at my institution, but maybe you go a tin pot place, I dunno
Regardless whether or not that is the case. They came to the conclusion I did. However based from the expertise of my student guidance advisor I have a valid case regarding adequate information. The world is a cruel place and sometimes you just gotta join the cruel world to get what you want, so now simply I have shifted the blame back on the university due to obvious neglect. Other univeristies can also vouch for me on tht aspect too lol

What, other than the books, did you think that the difference between an open and closed book exam is?

Did you talk to anyone about answers during the exam? If you did, you clearly cheated.
If you all had Sinilar wrong answers as you
1) it was wrong on the most obvious google link
Or 2( someone making notes in the lecture got it wrong and a few people shared their notes
Then neither of those are collusion? I sent sone other students before exams some notes on stuff that was not captured by the online recording (things written on the screen as an example) but that is allowed? But yes if I screwed up then possibly we’d all make sane mistake.
I think you need union help to lay out a co-hesive defence as it’s still unclear whether it’s just they don’t believe you over some actual collusion in exam occurring.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
What was your punishment for collusion btw? If you win, what do you expect to gain, e.g. your original attempt to be upheld?

Basically allow my original attempt to be upheld it seems pretty reasonable to me. Based on the evidence I have provided the neglect is obvious and im fairly confident this should be in my favour
Basically allow my original attempt to be upheld it seems pretty reasonable to me. Based on the evidence I have provided the neglect is obvious and im fairly confident this should be in my favour

So what was your punishment for collusion?
Original post by gjd800
No. What another institution has as a procedure is of little bearing. Surprised your super-experienced supervisor doesn't know this when I, as a lowly ECR, do

Academic standards apply at all times regardless of open book or not. It is that simple. It would be laughed out the door at my institution, but maybe you go a tin pot place, I dunno

even if that is the case my own university stated “new plan regarding assessments/exams is being worked upon” this plan was essentially meant to inform the students how to conduct these exams in their new guideline handbook they created during the Covid-19 pandemic. They failed to fully inform students on all aspects of the exam. That was my only credible source of info for what to do on open book exams and clearly they failed to address this. Under the current circumstances it was super necessary to inform every student regarding unfair means of open book exams as theyve NEVER been done before from home
Original post by PhoenixFortune
So what was your punishment for collusion?

Redo the module next year as it stands

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending