The Student Room Group

Catfished and being threated

I got catfished and got a nude video of me recorded with my face visible in parts. I know I was stupid and I've learnt my lesson. But the person who has this video is blackmailing me for money and saying they will post it if I don't give them what they want. They are also making up that I was *** to an 8 year old to make the matter worse which is a lie. I have messaged them saying I do not consent to the publishing of the content and that the police will be contacted if they decide to do so.
I have since stopped speaking to the individual. What do I do now? Will they be able to make the lie about calling me a paedophile true? How do I prove that it is a lie?
Original post by Anonymous
I got catfished and got a nude video of me recorded with my face visible in parts. I know I was stupid and I've learnt my lesson. But the person who has this video is blackmailing me for money and saying they will post it if I don't give them what they want. They are also making up that I was *** to an 8 year old to make the matter worse which is a lie. I have messaged them saying I do not consent to the publishing of the content and that the police will be contacted if they decide to do so.
I have since stopped speaking to the individual. What do I do now? Will they be able to make the lie about calling me a paedophile true? How do I prove that it is a lie?

Alright, first thing you need to do is to calm the f**k down, and keep your sh!t together! You need to rationally assess the situation, which you can't do if you're panicking like a headless chicken.

Remember, according to British Law... You're innocent, until proven guilty!.

Firstly, I don't think the police would follow up the complaint, unless it came from said 8 year old (or indirectly from a responsible/ concerned adult). In order for that to get anywhere near a prosecution stage, they (the complainant) would have to prove that you knew you were making the video for a child to see it. They would also have to install a convincing story for the 8 year old to tell. It's a hell of a lot of prep-work they would have to do if they were serious about following through with their threat... and chances are they'd be caught out, long before it got to the court stage. Is there anything on the video, that suggests that you intended a minor to view it?

Do you know what medium (e.g. we can assume it's a website) you used to upload the video? Is this medium 18+? If not, how easy is it for a child to access that website? If you have your website account details, and the date / time the video was uploaded... I would suggest contacting the web admin team... chances are they'll have a back-up of the recording/ transaction; which basically proves that the complainant got the video through that website (assuming they've got an account on there as well). Furthermore, assuming it's an 18+ website, that also strongly suggests that the video wasn't intended for a minor.

Chances are, this person is bluffing (they're probably trying this same scam on several other poor souls). The worst thing you can do is pay them. Not only will this mean they can take money and things off you for an indefinite period... but if he did ever follow through with his threat, it would look bad on you if they (police, CPS etc.) ever found out that you succumbed to the blackmail attempt.

If you're really worried about it, you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. It's free and completely non-judgemental.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Alright, first thing you need to do is to calm the f**k down, and keep your sh!t together! You need to rationally assess the situation, which you can't do if you're panicking like a headless chicken.

Remember, according to British Law... You're innocent, until proven guilty!.

Firstly, I don't think the police would follow up the complaint, unless it came from said 8 year old (or indirectly from a responsible/ concerned adult). In order for that to get anywhere near a prosecution stage, they (the complainant) would have to prove that you knew you were making the video for a child to see it. They would also have to install a convincing story for the 8 year old to tell. It's a hell of a lot of prep-work they would have to do if they were serious about following through with their threat... and chances are they'd be caught out, long before it got to the court stage. Is there anything on the video, that suggests that you intended a minor to view it?

Do you know what medium (e.g. we can assume it's a website) you used to upload the video? Is this medium 18+? If not, how easy is it for a child to access that website? If you have your website account details, and the date / time the video was uploaded... I would suggest contacting the web admin team... chances are they'll have a back-up of the recording/ transaction; which basically proves that the complainant got the video through that website (assuming they've got an account on there as well). Furthermore, assuming it's an 18+ website, that also strongly suggests that the video wasn't intended for a minor.

Chances are, this person is bluffing (they're probably trying this same scam on several other poor souls). The worst thing you can do is pay them. Not only will this mean they can take money and things off you for an indefinite period... but if he did ever follow through with his threat, it would look bad on you if they (police, CPS etc.) ever found out that you succumbed to the blackmail attempt.

If you're really worried about it, you can contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. It's free and completely non-judgemental.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have all the evidence of the conversation that took place and nowhere in there do I mention anything about wanting anything to do with a minor and was completely told that this person was 25 years of age. They showed me a video of a n*de woman (who I believed to be them) and looks over the age of 18 and therefore I believed I was talking to an adult. I will take further action if necessary according to your advice so thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending