The Student Room Group

Prospective student in Law

Hi everyone,

I messed up on my gcses and I didn’t get any. I’m 19 years old and I have full motivation to repair my failures.

I want to study law and I plan to study an access to higher education course in sep 2020. My question is, will unis still want gcses ? I have failed 3 attempts on both going from E grade to D in English and maths is still F.

What do you recommend ? I am scared of failing again but I am considering it. I have no tactic or strategy on approaching such exams, I’ve paid tutors a lot of money too.

Please advice.
Original post by 15pfreds
Hi everyone,

I messed up on my gcses and I didn’t get any. I’m 19 years old and I have full motivation to repair my failures.

I want to study law and I plan to study an access to higher education course in sep 2020. My question is, will unis still want gcses ? I have failed 3 attempts on both going from E grade to D in English and maths is still F.

What do you recommend ? I am scared of failing again but I am considering it. I have no tactic or strategy on approaching such exams, I’ve paid tutors a lot of money too.

Please advice.

Unis will want GCSE English and Maths at grade 4 and some will want 5 or 6.
Instead of doing an Access it sounds like you could benefit from pre access, which is anything from 2-5 GCSE and would give you a chance to develop skills. It would concern me that Access would overwhelm you and you would end up wasting the one off fees.

I might even suggest you do functional skills level 1 before you attempt level 2.

If you wish to have a law career you can do so, but only if you obtain high grades as its very competitive. That means you will need to build patiently till you are the right level or risk getting poor grades, which makes a career less likely.
Original post by 15pfreds
Hi everyone,

Please advice.

Sorry - this is going to sound really harsh - but in reality you should probably reconsider your career aspirations.

If you can't pass Level 2 (GCSE), you're highly unlikely to pass Level 6 (Undergraduate degree). And as someone else has stated already, universities still ask for GCSE English & Maths (sometimes Science). Law is very competitive so they can pick the best of the best, so you're chances of getting onto a Law degree are likely to be limited.

Also, Access courses normally require you to be 'working at' Level 2 (GCSE) to be considered, so I would call your local college and ask about their specific entry requirements for the course you're interested in to see if they'd accept you - and also what alternative routes / careers they suggest.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but rather than setting yourself up to fail, why don't you look at what you are good at, and look at careers in that area?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending