The Student Room Group

My mum wants my student loan

Currently i work a part time job which only covers all of my expenses and i can save abit here and there to buy myself things i want. I cover the majority of things in my life except for household expenses such as water, electric and heating.
When i go to uni next year i will be applying for a maintenance loan. My mum wants me to give her the majority of that money to go towards the household, i don’t object to paying board but i cover all of my own expenses and all things that i need. Through uni i wont have any money to be able to enjoy myself or hardly cover uni expenses if she wants the majority of my loan and i dont know how to resolve the issue
I am also wanting to be able to save up to get my own place after uni so i dont have to live with her, thats a whole other issue
Edit: Also, student housing is not an option due to personal reasons
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How much does she want?
Reply 2
Original post by YaliaV
How much does she want?

My loan were looking at about £4000 a year, she wants about £3000
your mum sounds greedy af

say no
Give her nothing.

But if after you go to uni you stay in her home at any time and she wants rent from you, either pay the rent or live somewhere else.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
your mum sounds greedy af

say no

Ive said no around a million times, she just makes me feel guilty and threatens to kick me out if i wont contribute to the ‘household’
Original post by Banibeau
Ive said no around a million times, she just makes me feel guilty and threatens to kick me out if i wont contribute to the ‘household’

find someone else to live. rent a room somewhere closer to your uni. or do you have any other family members you can live with?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
find someone else to live. rent a room somewhere closer to your uni. or do you have any other family members you can live with?

Moving out would essentially cost me the same if not more than she wants anyways, and i cannot live with other family members, id have moved out years ago if i could have
Reply 8
HELL NAH
get a longer accomodation contract and maybe look into places that let u stay in holidays
Reply 9
Currently i work a part time job which only covers all of my expenses and i can save abit here and there to buy myself things i want. I cover the majority of things in my life except for household expenses such as water, electric and heating.
When i go to uni next year i will be applying for a maintenance loan. My mum wants me to give her the majority of that money to go towards the household, i don’t object to paying board but i cover all of my own expenses and all things that i need. Through uni i wont have any money to be able to enjoy myself or hardly cover uni expenses if she wants the majority of my loan and i dont know how to resolve the issue
I am also wanting to be able to save up to get my own place after uni so i dont have to live with her, thats a whole other issue
Edit: Also, student housing is not an option due to personal reasons

Why are you only getting £4000.Do your parents have a high income?
Reply 10
Original post by Scotney
Why are you only getting £4000.Do your parents have a high income?

High enough yes, its not really a case of she needs the money, she just wants me to pay my half of the household expenses in ‘her’ house when ill hardly be at home using them.
High enough yes, its not really a case of she needs the money, she just wants me to pay my half of the household expenses in ‘her’ house when ill hardly be at home using them.

I suggest you do not give her the money.I do not think she will throw you out in reality.
(edited 3 years ago)

She’s doing her best to completely ruin your relationship for no reason and threatening to throw you out is incredibly childish and manipulative. What is your relationship like in general?
Reply 13
Original post by YaliaV
She’s doing her best to completely ruin your relationship for no reason and threatening to throw you out is incredibly childish and manipulative. What is your relationship like in general?

Our relationship is a joke to be honest, shes a psychopath and manipulative 88% of the time
Our relationship is a joke to be honest, shes a psychopath and manipulative 88% of the time

You should probably move out if you can afford it. Do you have any close friends or family members?
Reply 15
Original post by YaliaV
You should probably move out if you can afford it. Do you have any close friends or family members?

Id have moved out ages ago if it was an option which is why im in this dilemma
Depending on how reasonable your mum is- you could draw yourself up a sensible budget with the student loan amounts and offer her a reasonable amount towards “rent” this way she can see that the money there isn’t exactly a fortune and you will need most if not all just to buy books/travel/food etc.
The maintenance loans are means tested for a reason as they still expect parents to contribute towards you not the other way around.
Id have moved out ages ago if it was an option which is why im in this dilemma

Going to go against the grain here. You say if you moved out it would cost the same or more. You should give your mum some money. It will teach you how to budget. You clearly chose a local university so you could live at home. Why should she shoulder all the cost.

If you don't like that, then take a gap year. Earn lots and move away.
Reply 18
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Going to go against the grain here. You say if you moved out it would cost the same or more. You should give your mum some money. It will teach you how to budget. You clearly chose a local university so you could live at home. Why should she shoulder all the cost.

If you don't like that, then take a gap year. Earn lots and move away.

I already budget every penny i earn at work and have no extra money to actually live my life at the moment because i am covering all my expenses already. I dont piss my wage away on nights out or anything its goes on everything i need each month. If the loan money was earnt within my job it would be different but the fact ive got to pay it back through my life i should atleast be able to use is to help get through uni. Also all that she pays for to do with me is dinners, my 6 15 minute showers a week, and the heating when shes home, i dont have it on when its just me, and Ofcourse electric
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by GabiAbi84
Depending on how reasonable your mum is- you could draw yourself up a sensible budget with the student loan amounts and offer her a reasonable amount towards “rent” this way she can see that the money there isn’t exactly a fortune and you will need most if not all just to buy books/travel/food etc.
The maintenance loans are means tested for a reason as they still expect parents to contribute towards you not the other way around.

The amount she wants from me is ‘not negotiable’ as i have tried many times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending