The Student Room Group

How do you get a 1,000 dollar scholarship in college

I got a 500 scholarship from my high school which annoyed me because I was an A student and helped with school events. How do I get a 1,000 dollar scholarship in college?
Original post by Anonymous
I got a 500 scholarship from my high school which annoyed me because I was an A student and helped with school events. How do I get a 1,000 dollar scholarship in college?

This is a UK based website, so I'm not sure we will be able to help you with qualifying for scholarships. I think you should speak to whoever decides on who gets what scholarship at your school, or do research on the requirements for the scholarship you want to see if you can do anything to help you get the one you want.
Original post by Anonymous

This is not a US website, so any knowledge of your system is likely to be pretty thin on the ground. Don't you have an equivalent of TSR in the US, though I can't think of one off the top of my head :erm:
Original post by Reality Check
This is not a US website, so any knowledge of your system is likely to be pretty thin on the ground. Don't you have an equivalent of TSR in the US, though I can't think of one off the top of my head :erm:

College Confidential?
So if you a very strong student say Oxbridge material, you would almost certainly get full scholarships (with room & board) from a well regarded in-state Public college. (But these Public colleges can be excellent, for example: Michigan, UCLA, Berkeley, GeorgiaTech). But you are more then likely going to have to already be a resident in that local State, so you would likely have to live in California to get UCLA full scholarship.

But even if you an excellent student and get into a top rated private college (i.e Yale, MIT, Stanford, Dartmouth etc.) you would likely still get a lot of scholarships and the universities would almost certainly provide financial aid as well.

But even very strong students who get into very good schools but are not quite a top 5% student will still likely receive some scholarships but perhaps not the same level.

It really is financially very complex as it varies public/private, in-state, out-of state, quality of student, institution endowment... (even the tuition (without scholarships) & entry requirements vary in-state & out of state).
Harvard is not free (but it sort of is), Harvard would fall into the private university category.
But unlike most private universities Harvard has a very complex financial aid system to ensure no student is disadvantaged.
Basically they have such a large endowment that the overwhelming majority of students get lots of the bill wiped out and have easy ability to get loans to cover what their financial aid doesn't.

TBH Harvard is a bit unique, due to their giant endowment.

The other thing to note is even if you do have student loans from Harvard, by the mere fact you attended Harvard your earning potential is much much higher than the majority of university graduates and will likely manage to pay the loans back fast.
Original post by Edminzodo
College Confidential?

Yes! Excellent idea.
Original post by mnot
TBH Harvard is a bit unique, due to their giant endowment.

I beg your pardon? :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check

Ok thanks anywway🤷*♀️
Reply 9
Yes there’s free tuition colleges

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending