The Student Room Group

Part-time application for Open Uni - need help

Hello! I need some help with my application and haven't had any luck in getting through to anyone today.

I want to study Language Studies with the Open Uni. It's asking me how many years I will be studying but I'm not 100% sure.. I'm starting with 90 credits for Year 1 and was planning to see how I go.. do I need to give a definitive answer?

I'm also not sure whether I'm considered 'self-supporting.' I have been employed for the part three years but live at home with my parents.. I pay board and make contributions to living costs. Does this class me as self-supporting?

And in the box where it asks about income from jobs (it asks for your salary) does that mean my annual salary or monthly earnings?

I know some of these questions may sound stupid but I don't want to make any errors.

Thanks
Original post by elliewellie97
Hello! I need some help with my application and haven't had any luck in getting through to anyone today.

I want to study Language Studies with the Open Uni. It's asking me how many years I will be studying but I'm not 100% sure.. I'm starting with 90 credits for Year 1 and was planning to see how I go.. do I need to give a definitive answer?

I'm also not sure whether I'm considered 'self-supporting.' I have been employed for the part three years but live at home with my parents.. I pay board and make contributions to living costs. Does this class me as self-supporting?

And in the box where it asks about income from jobs (it asks for your salary) does that mean my annual salary or monthly earnings?

I know some of these questions may sound stupid but I don't want to make any errors.

Thanks

Hi, the self supporting question is if you are applying as an independent student but you are not eligible to apply for a Maintenance Loan at the Open University unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a physical university.

You shouldn't complete the independent section unless you do have a disability and are applying for a Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi, the self supporting question is if you are applying as an independent student but you are not eligible to apply for a Maintenance Loan at the Open University unless you have a disability that prevents you from attending a physical university.

You shouldn't complete the independent section unless you do have a disability and are applying for a Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it won't let me move past that stage without completing it so I'm at a loss as to what I should put.

Also, I am studying 90 credits for year one, which will cost £4644 however the application is telling me that my first year will cost approx £3000 (I can't remember the exact total) and that if the course is any more than that then I will have to pay the rest myself. Is this true?
Hello,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately it won't let me move past that stage without completing it so I'm at a loss as to what I should put.

Also, I am studying 90 credits for year one, which will cost £4644 however the application is telling me that my first year will cost approx £3000 (I can't remember the exact total) and that if the course is any more than that then I will have to pay the rest myself. Is this true?

That's incorrect. It will only let you apply for one module when submitting your application. Once you have submitted this your university will then send us an update to confirm how many modules you are going to complete.

Please complete a paper application form if you are not able to complete the online form.
Thanks, Isaac
Original post by SFE Isaac
That's incorrect. It will only let you apply for one module when submitting your application. Once you have submitted this your university will then send us an update to confirm how many modules you are going to complete.

Please complete a paper application form if you are not able to complete the online form.
Thanks, Isaac

Hello,

Many thanks for your answer. My final query is the self-supporting question, I have been in employment since 2015 but live at home with family, does this make me self-supporting?

Many thanks
Hello,

Many thanks for your answer. My final query is the self-supporting question, I have been in employment since 2015 but live at home with family, does this make me self-supporting?

Many thanks

If you can provide 3 years self support evidence then you can be classed as an independent student, even if you live with your parents.

You can find out more information here http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5
Thanks, Isaac

Quick Reply

Latest