The Student Room Group

She lied about her age? Is this legal

Scroll to see replies

You could have ended up in jail, yet you still have feelings for her? Your judgement is spectacularly bad or there’s something wrong with you.
Stay well away. Tell her to get off tinder, and that she really shouldn't be speaking to people above like 17, then block and report her account. She should not be on these sites.
Frankly I think it's a bit weird that you'd want to date a 15 year old at 20. I'm 19 and won't date anyone under 18. I think it's generally considered quite weird to wait for someone to reach the legal age of consent.
I also have a question for you. What if she turns out to be a catfish and looks nothing at all like her picture. No where close to being as attractive. Then what ? Still willing to take your chances then ?
Reply 23
So a couple of points here:

1) I'm seeing stuff about "waiting" until she's 16? That's icky... don't do that.

2) Sexual activity with a child under 16 is a strict-liability offense. Regardless of whether you knew her age or not, that would be by the by.

3) How do you mistake a 15-year-old girl for 18? I refuse to believe the usual "she looked old enough/sounded mature" trope. If you said that you behaved presumptuously or whatever it would be no less as bad but sound a little less ridiculous than the former.

4) Forth and most important of all: This is kind of a non-issue tbh in the sense that it didn't even warrant a thread. You shouldn't have been contemplating anything other than reporting the profile; blocking and not contacting again.
Reply 24
I'm just bemused that this thing is even being given a second thought tbh.

Imagine wanting to "wait and see" how this situation goes????
Bloke this liar take no more to do with her
Original post by FRS500
So a couple of points here:

1) I'm seeing stuff about "waiting" until she's 16? That's icky... don't do that.

2) Sexual activity with a child under 16 is a strict-liability offense. Regardless of whether you knew her age or not, that would be by the by.

3) How do you mistake a 15-year-old girl for 18? I refuse to believe the usual "she looked old enough/sounded mature" trope. If you said that you behaved presumptuously or whatever it would be no less as bad but sound a little less ridiculous than the former.

4) Forth and most important of all: This is kind of a non-issue tbh in the sense that it didn't even warrant a thread. You shouldn't have been contemplating anything other than reporting the profile; blocking and not contacting again.

Well seeing what puberty does to some of our bodies and the use of make up or weaves etc. It is becoming very easy to mistake a child for a woman especially one that is 15. We owe it to society for being so sexualised or forcing some kids to mature way ahead of their time.
In this country even if she lied about her age to you, you are still responsible. This is one of many examples, I think, of the absurdities in our laws that are mostly driven by sexism. The law refuses to hold certain groups of people in our society responsible for their actions, this despite the fact that these groups know full well what they are doing. Many girls look like women. It is very hard to tell that they are underage. They lie about their age and con others into relationships with them. If these relationships come to the attention of the police and they do often through the girl herself when she becomes embittered either during the relationship or twenty years after the relationship the man is held responsible for her actions and has his life destroyed. She, her friends and her family can hold this relationship against you for the rest of your life.

Another thing that you need to take into account is that she lied to you. So she cannot be trusted. So she can easily go back on all that talk about her finding this sort of thing OK...and when she does there is nothing you can do to fix the situation if she, her friends or her family does decide to report this matter to authorities.

My advice to you would be to end it now, straight away and by end it now I mean stop talking to her immediately, put her on your block list and report her to the website. Use the messages that she has exchanged with you as evidence to have her removed from the website.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by jaz_x001
If I were you, I would just move on. No point in risking it. Plus, just remember that she lied to you for 5 months about something so serious. She surely knows that this could get you in big trouble, her being underage and all. Please seriously think about the possible consequences of this situation before continuing with her.

l agree with you 100%
Reply 29
Original post by FRS500

Honestly some girls do look a lot older than their age.
Some girls look a lot younger than their age

no one has ever guessed my age right either, on average I get guessed about 10 yrs younger [not trolling]

It doesn't sound like OP was at fault imo, she lied and looked older.
Reply 30
Original post by Second_Beauty
Well seeing what puberty does to some of our bodies and the use of make up or weaves etc. It is becoming very easy to mistake a child for a woman especially one that is 15. We owe it to society for being so sexualised or forcing some kids to mature way ahead of their time.

Original post by ANM775
Honestly some girls do look a lot older than their age.
Some girls look a lot younger than their age

no one has ever guessed my age right either, on average I get guessed about 10 yrs younger [not trolling]

It doesn't sound like OP was at fault imo, she lied and looked older.

I might have been a bit harsh in my words initially. Although I would say after being in a conversation with someone for a sustained amount of time, surely it comes out at some point that she's lied about her age? (without her having to admit)

Although I agree some people look older than their age at times. (15 to 18 tho???)
Reply 31
Original post by FRS500
Although I agree some people look older than their age at times. (15 to 18 tho???)

A long time ago i remember watching this programme on telly about people who didn't look their age.

this lad came on, mixed race, looked about 19 imo ...and then they reveal he was actually only 13!

The lad claimed he had slept with women in their 20s..

and you know what, i believe him
he looked around 19 and was quite good looking [no homo]

15 to 18 is definitely possible imo.
Reply 32
Original post by ANM775
A long time ago i remember watching this programme on telly about people who didn't look their age.

this lad came on, mixed race, looked about 19 imo ...and then they reveal he was actually only 13!

The lad claimed he had slept with women in their 20s..

and you know what, i believe him
he looked around 19 and was quite good looking [no homo]

15 to 18 is definitely possible imo.

YIKES :eek:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm 20 and have been talking to a girl on tinder for the past 5 months, we regularly call and talk everyday and both admitted to liking eachoher and said for us meet up soon. Her bio said she was 18, however she just admitted to me last night that she lied and is actually 15. I got angry and her response was that she's been with older guys before (her ex was 18 when she was 14) and that loads of girls her age get with older guys so she's fine with it and doesn't see it being an issue. However I'm not fine with it, a) it's ilegal and b) she lied to me.

I'm not sure what to do as we've been talking for so long and if she was 16+ i would fully want to date her. She looks so much older she looks 19 to 21 and would probably get into a club without ID.

I know the age of consent is 16 and I feel hurt she lied to me all this time but i wanted to find out what is legal and what is ilegal.

If we continue talking as friends, meet up but do not do anything together i.e. not kissing, touching and nothing sexual, and then once she's 16 start dating would it be legal? or is it still ilegal to meet up with someone under 16?

Online I found that there are two main laws around surrounding this a) age of consent and b) grooming:

a) I tried googling this but it wasn't clear it just said how an adult can't do anything sexual with someone under 16 but doesn't mention anything about whether you're allowed to meet up with them or talk with them

b) this discusses laws around intent and online activities, I tried googling grooming laws but this is even more unclear, it says it's ilegal for an adult to communicate online and/or to meet up or arrange to meet up with someone under 16, if you plan on sexually abusing the child (then defines sexual abuse as any phsyical penetration or groping of genitals or performing sexual related acts online)

Neither a) or b) state anything about an adult communicating online or meeting up with someone under 16 as friends only and with no intent of doing anything sexual. Of course once she is legal things would change.

I would appreciate any advice, are we able to remain as friends and continue talking / meet up or am i required to delete eachother and not speak again? Thanks

If it bothers you, stop talking to her.
Reply 34
Report her account to Tinder and walk away
Hi, I'm 20 and have been talking to a girl on tinder for the past 5 months, we regularly call and talk everyday and both admitted to liking eachoher and said for us meet up soon. Her bio said she was 18, however she just admitted to me last night that she lied and is actually 15. I got angry and her response was that she's been with older guys before (her ex was 18 when she was 14) and that loads of girls her age get with older guys so she's fine with it and doesn't see it being an issue. However I'm not fine with it, a) it's ilegal and b) she lied to me.

I'm not sure what to do as we've been talking for so long and if she was 16+ i would fully want to date her. She looks so much older she looks 19 to 21 and would probably get into a club without ID.

I know the age of consent is 16 and I feel hurt she lied to me all this time but i wanted to find out what is legal and what is ilegal.

If we continue talking as friends, meet up but do not do anything together i.e. not kissing, touching and nothing sexual, and then once she's 16 start dating would it be legal? or is it still ilegal to meet up with someone under 16?

Online I found that there are two main laws around surrounding this a) age of consent and b) grooming:

a) I tried googling this but it wasn't clear it just said how an adult can't do anything sexual with someone under 16 but doesn't mention anything about whether you're allowed to meet up with them or talk with them

b) this discusses laws around intent and online activities, I tried googling grooming laws but this is even more unclear, it says it's ilegal for an adult to communicate online and/or to meet up or arrange to meet up with someone under 16, if you plan on sexually abusing the child (then defines sexual abuse as any phsyical penetration or groping of genitals or performing sexual related acts online)

Neither a) or b) state anything about an adult communicating online or meeting up with someone under 16 as friends only and with no intent of doing anything sexual. Of course once she is legal things would change.

I would appreciate any advice, are we able to remain as friends and continue talking / meet up or am i required to delete eachother and not speak again? Thanks

i hate it here, I really do.....

Attachment not found
Original post by FRS500
I might have been a bit harsh in my words initially. Although I would say after being in a conversation with someone for a sustained amount of time, surely it comes out at some point that she's lied about her age? (without her having to admit)

When I was 14, I was told by 80% of people I was a lot more mature for my age. That’s because I had to grow up rather quickly. I was also told that I looked about 18-20 which I’m assuming is because my “feminine features” had settled fully at that age compared to others my age. The only thing that could’ve tipped someone I was underage was probably my lack of sexual experience but even then you’ve got people in their 30s who are still virgin or lack dating experience for various reasons.

When someone tells you basic information, you naturally assume it’s true especially if you’re not use to cases like that. Although this guy is silly for still contemplating to pursue an underage girl, loneliness can make you do dumb ****.

I have dated a guy older by a few years and my family lashed out and called the police even though im 16 so I recommend that you walk away, especially if she lies to you about something like age... You don't want to get in trouble so back away and trust me, you will meet someone who truly likes you for you
Tbh it's still creepy dating a 16 year old when you're 18+

I'm almost 20 and the thought of dating someone under 18 is gross.
Reply 39
Personally I find the whole idea of waiting for someone to become legal quite icky tbh. I know I don't really need to explain why, we all know why it's off key here...

But even pushing that aside for a sec, she's clearly prepared to lie to you about something as important as this... what about other things?

I'd bin her off sooner rather than later.

Also dating someone who's recently turned 16 is a bit uno...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending