The Student Room Group

Is it weird to get your dissertation supervisor a thank-you gift?

So I'm coming to the end of my MSc dissertation project I've been working full-time on since early April and shall be for another 5 ish weeks.

My supervisor has been really supportive and helpful throughout and given loads of encouragement to pursue a PhD after all this is over.

Would it be weird to get them a thank-you gift of some sort?

Scroll to see replies

No it's not weird at all! I think they'd really really appreciate it that's such a nice thing to do :smile:
Reply 2
I think it's weird
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
I think it's weird

Assuming you didn't for your various degrees then? :P
Original post by CTLeafez
So I'm coming to the end of my MSc dissertation project I've been working full-time on since early April and shall be for another 5 ish weeks.

My supervisor has been really supportive and helpful throughout and given loads of encouragement to pursue a PhD after all this is over.

I would check whether there are any rules on this. I can see your point, the thing to be cautious of is if it looks like you tried to influence the outcome. If the supervisor marked your work its important they are impartial. The rules should say whats appropriate, so check first.

A gift is a great idea. its only weird on the type of gift. A box of chocs and a thank you card is enough or even a bottle of wine; but I would draw the line at a piece of jewelery, red letter day voucher etc. Now that would be weird lol
It’s a really nice idea - definitely check it will be ok/wait til all results are out, but I’d imagine they’d be chuffed :smile:
To avoid partiality, it might be best to choose a less expensive gift (your uni might have a price limit?)?
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
I would check whether there are any rules on this. I can see your point, the thing to be cautious of is if it looks like you tried to influence the outcome. If the supervisor marked your work its important they are impartial. The rules should say whats appropriate, so check first.

Dissertation is graded by two academics who aren't my supervisor so risk of impartiality isn't an issue :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ghostlady
A gift is a great idea. its only weird on the type of gift. A box of chocs and a thank you card is enough or even a bottle of wine; but I would draw the line at a piece of jewelery, red letter day voucher etc. Now that would be weird lol

I'm a poor student anyway, jewellery would totally be out the question (and I agree weird :biggrin:). I was thinking along the lines of a card and chocolate/wine too.
Dissertation is graded by two academics who aren't my supervisor so risk of impartiality isn't an issue :smile:

That case it sounds fine. I wouldnt spend over £100 though.

Not weird at all: I think it's a lovely gesture, which is characteristically thoughtful from someone like you. Lovely idea :smile:
Reply 11
i know a couple of people who did that. personally wouldn't, as i've been extremely grateful in the past to one lecturer (indeed my personal tutor) and he simply told me he was just doing his job. that said, it's obviously not completely unheard of and i'm sure your supervisor will enjoy the booze.
I'm planning to do something similar with mine-she's been a godsend. I think it may be weird to get say a module tutor a gift but for your dissertation supervisor it's completely fine just don't spend too much. I think wine/chocolates are fine :smile:
Reply 13
Assuming you didn't for your various degrees then? :P

Don't know anyone that did!
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
That case it sounds fine. I wouldnt spend over £100 though.

How rich do you think I am? 😂 I current have £80 in my bank account until I find a job...

the gift I was thinking was like a card and chocolate/alcohol.
Reply 15
Original post by Reality Check
Not weird at all: I think it's a lovely gesture, which is characteristically thoughtful from someone like you. Lovely idea :smile:

Thanks @Reality Check, it's always nice to get such kind words :h:
How rich do you think I am? 😂 I current have £80 in my bank account until I find a job...

the gift I was thinking was like a card and chocolate/alcohol.

Well there you go I said not over £100 and you wont reach that unless you use your OD. Will you be walking the streets trying to find a job tonight?
Thanks @Reality Check, it's always nice to get such kind words :h:

You're welcome :smile: And I think chocolates and a card is perfect: it's not personal in any way, and avoids any problems of the recipient not being a drinker for whatever reason. No-one dislikes nice chocolates!

I got my MA supervisor some chocolate as a thank you gift as she'd been a great support to me, and she was very grateful. :smile:
I gave my undergrad diss supervisor an ABBA Gold/Mamma Mia 1 dvd boxset thing :danceboy: as a thank you present, as he'd been great and supported me a lot. Didn't get my MA diss supervisors anything coz though they were helpful, I didn't know either of them well enough to get them a present.

Whenever I manage to finish this damn PhD and become Dr TLG, I will buy second supervisor some nice Hotel Chocolat to say thanks. For my primary supervisor, I've already bought her present, which is a limited-edition crowd-funded special book about ABBA (basically the equivalent of an ABBA Bible :tongue: ). I doubt she'll read it but it makes for a nice coffee table book with lots of glossy pictures. Got it signed for her by the author as well :biggrin: I would have got her something like chocolate, but she's lactose-intolerant :sad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending