The Student Room Group

Is it realistic to want to live in Italy?

Is it expensive? Does anyone have any experiences? I also can't speak Italian so how would I learn? Do they take people with foreign degrees? How is the immigration process
Come back in a year when we know how UK-EU immigration will work.
Reply 2
Original post by Daveological
Come back in a year when we know how UK-EU immigration will work.

Oh no what do you think will happen? I have a European passport but will this help?
Original post by Anonymous
Is it expensive? Does anyone have any experiences? I also can't speak Italian so how would I learn? Do they take people with foreign degrees? How is the immigration process

Why is this anonymous?

I lived in Rome for 3+ years when I was younger. I loved. it. Expensive - yes, in parts. Northern Italy like Milan, or Rome is super expensive. If you want to live in some poor backwards farming community in southern Italy, less so.

You'd need to be able to speak Italian really if you're planning on living there. Everyone speaks English, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to not bother with Italian. It's a beautiful language anyway, and quite easy to pronounce. If you've done any Latin, the vocab. is a breeze.

What do you want to do there? Work? Study? And what nationality are you?
Reply 4
I was born there and lived there most my life feel free to pm questions :redface:
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Why is this anonymous?

I lived in Rome for 3+ years when I was younger. I loved. it. Expensive - yes, in parts. Northern Italy like Milan, or Rome is super expensive. If you want to live in some poor backwards farming community in southern Italy, less so.

You'd need to be able to speak Italian really if you're planning on living there. Everyone speaks English, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to not bother with Italian. It's a beautiful language anyway, and quite easy to pronounce. If you've done any Latin, the vocab. is a breeze.

What do you want to do there? Work? Study? And what nationality are you?

I thought it was a dumb question and was quite embarrassed to post hence the anonymity.

Sounds amazing I'm really jealous of you! Yes I imagine it is expensive tbf, I want to live in the cities so...

Okay thanks for letting me know. I planned on learning Italian, it is so beautiful anyway and similar to other languages I speak. I think I will find a tutor.

I'm not really sure what I want to do there. I have checked universities there but they're hard to get into and you need to speak Italian. I will probably work there after I graduate therefore. I am British.
Reply 6
Original post by macy_m
I was born there and lived there most my life feel free to pm questions :redface:

Thank you so much
I thought it was a dumb question and was quite embarrassed to post hence the anonymity.

Sounds amazing I'm really jealous of you! Yes I imagine it is expensive tbf, I want to live in the cities so...

Okay thanks for letting me know. I planned on learning Italian, it is so beautiful anyway and similar to other languages I speak. I think I will find a tutor.

I'm not really sure what I want to do there. I have checked universities there but they're hard to get into and you need to speak Italian. I will probably work there after I graduate therefore. I am British.

OK fair enough - I don't think it's a dumb question at all though :smile:

If you're British, then it's probably safe to say that it's going to be much more difficult than it would have been under Freedom of Movement once we're out of the transition phase of this goddawful Brexit. That's not to say you still won't be able to immigrate, but the rules are likely to be much stricter and you obviously won't be able to just move there like you can now. There always seems to be talk of the Erasmus scheme continuing in some guise, so that might help if you do study there. Note that in many universities, there are courses taught entirely in English - there's a good number at Sapienza in Rome, for instance: so don't let your lack of Italian language put you off.
Original post by macy_m

This is why you're such a fab person then! I knew it :smile:
Reply 9
This is why you're such a fab person then! I knew it :smile:

Haha thank you :grin:
OK fair enough - I don't think it's a dumb question at all though :smile:

If you're British, then it's probably safe to say that it's going to be much more difficult than it would have been under Freedom of Movement once we're out of the transition phase of this goddawful Brexit. That's not to say you still won't be able to immigrate, but the rules are likely to be much stricter and you obviously won't be able to just move there like you can now. There always seems to be talk of the Erasmus scheme continuing in some guise, so that might help if you do study there. Note that in many universities, there are courses taught entirely in English - there's a good number at Sapienza in Rome, for instance: so don't let your lack of Italian language put you off.

Thank you so much for your help! My dad is Irish and for that reason I have a European passport, so do you think that the Brexit changes won't apply to me? Because I am still entirely British at the end of the day.
And that is a great idea, I will look into Sapienza right now :smile: Thanks
Thank you so much for your help! My dad is Irish and for that reason I have a European passport, so do you think that the Brexit changes won't apply to me? Because I am still entirely British at the end of the day.
And that is a great idea, I will look into Sapienza right now :smile: Thanks

Ah, that changes things you lucky, lucky person you. If you mean Irish as in Eire, rather than Northern Irish, then you could take Irish citizenship by reason of your father if necessary and thus retain your EU citizenship, with all the benefits of freedom of movement that brings. I'm not sure of the rules on dual citizenship with Eire - but that might be another route.

Job done :smile:
Ah, that changes things you lucky, lucky person you. If you mean Irish as in Eire, rather than Northern Irish, then you could take Irish citizenship by reason of your father if necessary and thus retain your EU citizenship, with all the benefits of freedom of movement that brings. I'm not sure of the rules on dual citizenship with Eire - but that might be another route.

Job done :smile:

Ah fantastic! Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending