The Student Room Group

Exams

Hi guys,

I have recently took an exam on my 1st and 2nd semester (resit). However the first attempt I have done my exam I have failed both coursework and exam.In the second attempt I managed to pass the exam but however did not do the coursework which was marked as absent. I would like to know if my university would let me retake the coursework since I have passed my exam. Or if they would tell me to redo the whole year. Please let me know ASAP
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by A1thecappo
Hi guys,

I have recently took an exam on my 1st and 2nd semester (resit). However the first attempt I have done my exam I have failed both coursework and exam. However in the second attempt I managed to pass the exam but however did not do the coursework which was marked as absent. I would like to know if my university would let me retake the coursework since I have passed my exam. Or if they would tell me to redo the whole year. Please let me know ASAP

Contact your university. Every institution has different rules about resits/retakes, so you need to ask them directly.
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Contact your university. Every institution has different rules about resits/retakes, so you need to ask them directly.

Ok thank you🙏
Hi guys,

I have recently took an exam on my 1st and 2nd semester (resit). However the first attempt I have done my exam I have failed both coursework and exam.In the second attempt I managed to pass the exam but however did not do the coursework which was marked as absent. I would like to know if my university would let me retake the coursework since I have passed my exam. Or if they would tell me to redo the whole year. Please let me know ASAP

Hi, look at the course regulations - found in your student handbook. In most universities your resit mark counts for the whole module mark and so whatever mark you have for the coursework will not count. However, please check the regulations for your university.
Hi guys,

What was the reason for your not doing the coursework at the second attempt?
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
What was the reason for your not doing the coursework at the second attempt?

Because I’ve had second semester as well as the resit coursework, therefore Stress was building so seemingly I have forgotten about the coursework.
Reply 6
Below is my university student handbook regarding the resits!
Below is my university student handbook regarding the resits!

Reading the handbook it seems that you are required to repeat all assessment elements for the failed module so you did not complete the coursework so you will have officially failed the resit. From the handbook, the university may ask you to retake the module. If the module will not run until next academic year then you may need to put your studies on hold until you pass the module. Sorry
Reply 8
The picture below is my resit exam.
Reply 9
I just need your opinion on what you think would happen at this stage since I have failed the resit coursework for this module.!
I just need your opinion on what you think would happen at this stage since I have failed the resit coursework for this module.!

Read @mike23mike's advice in post #8. There's nothing more anyone can say until you've spoken directly to your department. It's likely that you will have to retake the whole module when you are able to.
Reply 11
I’ve just received my letter could you please advise and clarify.
I’ve just received my letter could you please advise and clarify.

From what you've posted, it looks as though you cannot progress onto the next year of your course, the university is currently deciding whether they will allow you to retake the two modules you failed next year.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
From what you've posted, it looks as though you cannot progress onto the next year of your course, the university is currently deciding whether they will allow you to retake the two modules you failed next year.

I agree, you originally failed four modules. You have passed two on resitting them but failed two others. The university is within its rights to ask you to leave the course. What they will be weighing up is that if you failed four 1st year modules it does not bode well for the future years when the modules will only get harder. You will not want to read this but it may be better for you to consider another course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending