The Student Room Group

Confidence knocked by friends over masters application

Hi.

I'm writing my personal statement at the moment for a post grad in Public Health (Nutrition), after studying sports nutrition for my under grad. Today I started looking into further detail of the modules etc. And I was kinda worried/afraid that maybe I wasn't actually smart enough to a masters. So I asked my friend to give me a pep talk cause I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it. And he just started asking me do I actually need it and offering me other options. Now Idk if this is just me but I'm taking it as in he doesn't believe that I would actually be able to complete a masters and he's just to afraid to say it.
He may have been asking you those questions because he wants to make sure you really want to do it if you're this worried. I'm sure he didn't mean that he doesn't think you could handle it - if in doubt, have an honest conversation with him!
Anyone can study a Masters. You will need to be ready to work independently and hard. But if you are willing to put the work in, you can do it.
Put in the application even if you have reservations. You may decide it isnt for you and not even take up any offers you get, but applying won't hurt.
Some people don't understand why anyone would do postgrad degrees. Your friend might just think it's pointless to do (it isn't but it's a popular opinion) or they might just be showing you support for if you don't do the degree.
Either way, put in your application. You won't know if you can do it until you try!
Reply 3
Original post by Euphoria101
He may have been asking you those questions because he wants to make sure you really want to do it if you're this worried. I'm sure he didn't mean that he doesn't think you could handle it - if in doubt, have an honest conversation with him!

Yeah I was thinking that too which is why I didn't want to respond in case I came across rude cause it was just a bit of a kick in the face. All it did was make me overthink it more haha
Reply 4
Original post by Always_Confused
Anyone can study a Masters. You will need to be ready to work independently and hard. But if you are willing to put the work in, you can do it.
Put in the application even if you have reservations. You may decide it isnt for you and not even take up any offers you get, but applying won't hurt.
Some people don't understand why anyone would do postgrad degrees. Your friend might just think it's pointless to do (it isn't but it's a popular opinion) or they might just be showing you support for if you don't do the degree.
Either way, put in your application. You won't know if you can do it until you try!

That's what I think I'm going to do tbh, I'd rather have the option there than gets to late and I regret not replying. I'll probably look for jobs along side it. Better crack on with the personal statement first haha
Original post by shayle144
Hi.

I'm writing my personal statement at the moment for a post grad in Public Health (Nutrition), after studying sports nutrition for my under grad. Today I started looking into further detail of the modules etc. And I was kinda worried/afraid that maybe I wasn't actually smart enough to a masters. So I asked my friend to give me a pep talk cause I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it. And he just started asking me do I actually need it and offering me other options. Now Idk if this is just me but I'm taking it as in he doesn't believe that I would actually be able to complete a masters and he's just to afraid to say it.

I had this worry when I applied for an MSc. I got in and then had a major freak out 2-3 months before starting that I wouldn't be capable and I almost didn't take up my offer. Now i'm about to graduate from UCL with an MSc with Merit. I have a C grade in GCSE Maths lmao and a Merit grade in MSc level statistics. You're always capable if it's something you want! Sounds like your friend was just trying to be there for you in the way they thought best, but you gotta believe in yourself! You can do it :smile:
Original post by shayle144
Hi.

I read it as do you need a masters for what you want to do or are you just wasting your time
As others above have said, they may have been trying to play devil’s advocate, trying to see if it’s something worth doing or getting you to think more deeply about why you want to do it.

I graduated with a 2.2, I’ve averaged a Distinction throughout my masters. I’m about to graduate in September.

It’s a lot of time and money to invest. If it gives you better career prospects, it’s worth doing. Don’t do it to prove to yourself or others that you’re capable of doing it. You can do anything you put your mind to, in today’s economy, you’ve got to put your best foot forward.

In summary, if it gives you better future prospects, go for it. You’ve got nothing to prove to anyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending