The Student Room Group

Labour leader doesn't support the Black Lives Movement and calls it a 'moment'

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. He's just saying he doesn't want to defund the police...
My problem isn’t only Starmer’s ridiculous statement. It's him pandering to Conservatives while screwing his own supporters. One day, he's kneeling to stand with the protestors, the next, he’s turned his back on them, calling them a ’moment’. What kind of example is the setting?
Are you being silly?

Where does he say he doesn't support the movement?

He said he doesn't support defund the police because that is an idiotic, American thing to say.

He said "moment" because it is a moment of change.

The only people outraged about this are Twitter people who are permanently offended at everything.
Reply 4
I am so confused 😑
Guys watch it by the way
Original post by TheStarboy

One day, he's kneeling to stand with the protestors, the next, he’s turned his back on them,

Perhaps he's gotten round to reading their mission statement.
Original post by moso2203
Are you being silly?

Where does he say he doesn't support the movement?

He said he doesn't support defund the police because that is an idiotic, American thing to say.

He said "moment" because it is a moment of change.

The only people outraged about this are Twitter people who are permanently offended at everything.

I'm not 'silly' but this is the debate which is why does he not want to defund the police if that is part of the issue in many peoples eyes
He is in support of BLM but the way in which he tried to balance that with keeping moderate and misunderstanding the term 'defund the police' (even though in the intended term we can't in the UK) made his whole statement a disaster.
Reply 9
Original post by TheStarboy
My problem isn’t only Starmer’s ridiculous statement. It's him pandering to Conservatives while screwing his own supporters. One day, he's kneeling to stand with the protestors, the next, he’s turned his back on them, calling them a ’moment’. What kind of example is the setting?

Exactly. Corbyn had his flaws but he was always consistent with what he believed in
Original post by Just my opinion
Perhaps he's gotten round to reading their mission statement.

This is referring to the movement and not the organisation. The organisation isn’t really that important and has several different factions. The slogan isn’t owned by anyone though.
I believe that the Leader of the Opposition, has realised (like many in the UK) that there's a line, albeit somewhat blurred, between the correct message that Black Lives do Matter and some of the proposals / ideas put forward by sections of the movement itself which are not realistic.
While I have sympathy for some BLM defund the police situations in the US, in the UK the reality is very different. Corbyn was all for increasing police at the last election (circa 10,000 IIRC). The reality is that the UK police force is underfunded rather than "militarised", UK police have too much paperwork to complete to be out on the street and there's a comprehensive review whenever a police officer fires their weapon.
Reply 12
Good for him, what's the issue ?:s-smilie:
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
I'm not 'silly' but this is the debate which is why does he not want to defund the police if that is part of the issue in many peoples eyes

"Many peoples eyes"

The only people who want to defund the police are people who spend 24/7 on Twitter airing their grievances about everything and making everything an issue about racism and other -isms.

Look at the police trust statistics. For ALL ethnicities it is above 50%. Even for black people, I believe it is somewhere around 70%.

People don't need LESS police. We need MORE police funding. The Labour party has spent the last DECADE criticising the Tories for cutting 20,000 police officers and seeing an increase in crime.

Do we now turn around and say, actually, well done Tories for cutting police numbers because that is now a good thing?

Honestly, get rid of stupid Americanised political slogans and movements. Defunding the police is illogical and unpopular.
So funny watching people walk back their support for the organisation because they now understand more what that organisation actually wants 😂
Reply 15
Original post by paul514
So funny watching people walk back their support for the organisation because they now understand more what that organisation actually wants 😂

This. The idea that it only wants its namesake is hilarious. All you have to do is go onto their various webpages (or their acolytes social media) and note they're little more than an extremist revolutionary sect in many regards :lol:
Original post by paul514

It was only a matter of time, I took the time to read the BLM manifesto, complete fantasy. I laughed particularly at the use of 'comrades' and 'We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other' if ever there was a more ironic statement it would be that. In truth the whole what we believe section was clearly written by a person we've come to recognise as a left wing radical.
(edited 3 years ago)
You can’t be saying for the last 10 years that Tories cutting police numbers has caused rising crime and that we should defund the police..
Well he can hardly support anti-zionists now can he.
Original post by Andrew97
You can’t be saying for the last 10 years that Tories cutting police numbers has caused rising crime and that we should defund the police..

Ironic isn’t it

Quick Reply