The Student Room Group

My mum wants my student loan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banibeau
I already budget every penny i earn at work and have no extra money to actually live my life at the moment because i am covering all my expenses already. I dont piss my wage away on nights out or anything its goes on everything i need each month. If the loan money was earnt within my job it would be different but the fact ive got to pay it back through my life i should atleast be able to use is to help get through uni. Also all that she pays for to do with me is dinners, my 6 15 minute showers a week, and the heating when shes home, i dont have it on when its just me, and Ofcourse electric

But as you said if you moved out it would cost you more. My daughter shares with her boyfriend in Bristol. They pay £1000 per month plus bills. Why do you think you should not pay anything to live at home.
You'll pay the loan alone. So use it alone. Tell mum you have so many huge expenses at school to cover with the loan. Forge a list of responsibilies you might need to service monthly!
Original post by squeakysquirrel
But as you said if you moved out it would cost you more. My daughter shares with her boyfriend in Bristol. They pay £1000 per month plus bills. Why do you think you should not pay anything to live at home.

God forbid you take care of the children you chose to have and probably pestered to go to uni rather than get a job instead of trying to profit from them with zero disregards for accumulated debt...

Sidenote: Nothing wrong with wanting some contributions, but at least wait until your child is able to give you money they've earned rather than money that's putting them in debt...
Sorry you’re in this situation! It must be tough! Nothing wrong with paying something as a contribution but you need to be able to have some money to be finanfically stale and have a positive time at university (even if it’s just a little bit of money left to enjoy yourself with freinds).
Could you work out some kind of agreeable budget?
Perhaps if you work out how much travel/food/stationary/treat money you need, and see what she says?
Good luck!
Reply 24
Put it this way. If you moved out, you'd be paying more than that in rent. Your mother is still effectively giving you a subsidised rent. Parents are not obliged to give you a rent free life after you turn 18.

I'm inclined to be on your side here because I think parents should support their children's education as long as possible and plan to do so for my own kids when they're of the age, but do remember that it costs a lot to house a person in terms of bills and, arguably, lost rental potential on your room. If you have an income and you're an adult, I would say parents are reasonable if they are asking for a contribution.

You're not obliged to take the loan. I didn't take a maintenance loan every year whilst I was at university. Whilst it is a benign debt, it's still debt and that makes me wonder if she would still ask for it if you didn't apply for it. If she did, then she's not supporting your education and I would say the best thing you could do is move out and take the loan anyway. Doesn't have to be student accommodation.
Original post by TheMcSame
God forbid you take care of the children you chose to have and probably pestered to go to uni rather than get a job instead of trying to profit from them with zero disregards for accumulated debt...

Sidenote: Nothing wrong with wanting some contributions, but at least wait until your child is able to give you money they've earned rather than money that's putting them in debt...

Why shouldn't the mum ask for help towards household bills. OP is 18 and chose to stay at home. Didn't have to.

And as for my children..... well all three given money to go to university. Left with no debt . That is the way it should be but I appreciate not al, parents are like that. So don't go accusing me
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Why shouldn't the mum ask for help towards household bills. OP is 18 and chose to stay at home. Didn't have to.

Literally said there's nothing wrong with wanting contributions...

As for choosing to stay at home. I'd argue otherwise. How many people hit 18 and are actually in a place where they can move out and get their own place? It's not so much a choice but a necessity for many people.

Again, parents shouldn't demand money LOANED to their children as payment. Feel free to ask for contributions when they're paying you with money they've earned, not money that's sinking them into debt.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hold on... If you're going to be living at home during university, why should you not be contributing towards bills? You're living there and benefitting from the place too.. You're a grown adult and you're essentially getting a hefty discount if anything - you'd be paying a lot more if you moved out.
(edited 3 years ago)
Give you mum no money its your money she is wanting free money no wonder you want to buy your own home to get away from her l think she is been wicked to you

Original post by Anonymous
your mum sounds greedy af

say no

Very true an old rag doll with a sad old life
My loan were looking at about £4000 a year, she wants about £3000

Am I missing something here? She wants £3k for a full year of board, bills included, and (from another of your posts) food?

So 250 per month for basically everything? Do you have any idea how good a deal that is? I don't even care where you live -- that's an excellent deal anywhere.

It may be that a lot of parents in her position, if they didn't need the money, would just leave it for you to spend. It might be nice if she'd do that.

However, she is entitled to ask for a contribution. You are getting excellent value for your 250 per month and should be grateful.

Besides which, you have stated that you are not willing to move out to student accommodation. So you're going to have to give her what she's asking for. That being the case, what kind of input are you expecting here?
I already budget every penny i earn at work and have no extra money to actually live my life at the moment because i am covering all my expenses already. I dont piss my wage away on nights out or anything its goes on everything i need each month. If the loan money was earnt within my job it would be different but the fact ive got to pay it back through my life i should atleast be able to use is to help get through uni. Also all that she pays for to do with me is dinners, my 6 15 minute showers a week, and the heating when shes home, i dont have it on when its just me, and Ofcourse electric

She's cooking your dinners? 3 grand a year gives her £60 a week on food (putting aside other costs.) Considering she's cooking them for you too, it's not ridiculous. Just work full time for a year then go away to uni, jeez.
£3,000 a year sounds very cheap.
Original post by TheMcSame
Literally said there's nothing wrong with wanting contributions...

As for choosing to stay at home. I'd argue otherwise. How many people hit 18 and are actually in a place where they can move out and get their own place? It's not so much a choice but a necessity for many people.

Again, parents shouldn't demand money LOANED to their children as payment. Feel free to ask for contributions when they're paying you with money they've earned, not money that's sinking them into debt.

The majority of university students leave home to go to university,. It is a rite of passage. I would have been hugely disappointed if any of mine said they didn't want to leave home. Again OP chose not to leave home. That money could have been used to pay rent. Instead it is being used to help pay household bills. The think the amount she is asking for is too much though,
She is meant to make up the difference between what you are receiving and the top loan amount. Look at Martin Lewis' guide on student loans and show it to her. There is meant to be a parental contribution not the other way round. The people saying you should pay rent are not being fair in this situation. I am sure you would rather move away to uni but cannot without that top up from your parents. What about your dad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending