The Student Room Group

Part time job help?

I'm 19 and i'm looking for my first part time job (yeah i know that's embarrassing). I think i've finally come to the realisation that getting a job is probably the only way I will ever overcome my social anxiety and become more confident around people. However, I don't know where and how to apply for jobs. I've already applied to McDonalds but ive not heard back yet because apparently they are not recruiting. Also I can't find any jobs in my area on indeed.com which is a problem since I can't drive yet, also the only few i've seen require retail experience and excellent communication skills which is not me since I have zero experience apart from volunteering a few years ago at a charity shop. Does anyone have any advice for me on applying for my first part-time job? Thanks.
One thing I’d suggest is making a CV and going to your local shops and shopping mall and handing it out.
Original post by Econ1906
One thing I’d suggest is making a CV and going to your local shops and shopping mall and handing it out.

I do have a CV and whenever I ask around they always tell me fill out an online application and upload my CV on to their website. But i still never hear anything back.
Original post by Loreto2018
I do have a CV and whenever I ask around they always tell me fill out an online application and upload my CV on to their website. But i still never hear anything back.

Have you got your CV checked by your careers service? You can also find free checks with the National Careers Service
Have you got your CV checked by your careers service? You can also find free checks with the National Careers Service

Yeah I've got it all checked and I've acted on the feedback. Could I speak to the National careers service on here at all?
Yeah I've got it all checked and I've acted on the feedback. Could I speak to the National careers service on here at all?

Yes they’re on here. @National Careers Service
bit late, but have you asked anyone at supermarkets if they need any extra staff?
Yes they’re on here. @National Careers Service

Alright thanks a lot for that ill see if they can help me !
Original post by absolutelysprout
bit late, but have you asked anyone at supermarkets if they need any extra staff?

No, I've just been looking on their websites if they are recruiting. I've tried asking in the past but they always just tell me to visit their websites and send my CV to the recruitment team online.
No, I've just been looking on their websites if they are recruiting. I've tried asking in the past but they always just tell me to visit their websites and send my CV to the recruitment team online.

keep trying, you'll get somewhere eventually!! part time job might be easier to get when places start reopening
Original post by absolutelysprout
keep trying, you'll get somewhere eventually!! part time job might be easier to get when places start reopening

Yeah you're right Covid 19 has really made job hunting a nightmare. Thanks for the advice!

Hi there, happy to help where we can. If you're looking for feedback on your CV, you can speak to someone on 0800 100 900 (it's free and confindential) and they'll get the ball rolling on that. Otherwise, if you have any other questions, I'm more than happy to try to answer them here.

Thanks, Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending